VCDS/ODIS How to adapt a new battery

varooom

• 3 weeks later...

HI
Thanks for the info on adapting a new battery.

I got as far as the bit where you say to type in battery but the channel list is empty
How long does it take to populate the channel list? The little line beside protocol UDS is spinning happily and has been for 15 minutes?!

24 minutes ago, RIncewindwiz said:

HI
Thanks for the info on adapting a new battery.

I got as far as the bit where you say to type in battery but the channel list is empty
How long does it take to populate the channel list? The little line beside protocol UDS is spinning happily and has been for 15 minutes?!

What tool are you using, VCDS I presume?

Can you print screen and send picture here?

EDIT: The drop down list should be populated, typing in 'battery' is designed to shorten the long list of adaption channels.

Edited by varooom

Sorry - I screwed up I followed  the picture (which has 01 Engine highlighted) and not the words (select 19 CAN Gateway) Yes I know, moronic is being kind!!

My battery is YUAUS YBX 9096 AGM 70Ah and its been behaving badly- Autostop/start does nto work; tend to get low battery warnings but it all works fine if I use a batter charger so I presume something is wring in the settings hence the need to change

Anyway second problem (after I worked that out)
All goes fine until I try to mak the first change (capacity)

Stored Value is 68

My battery says 70

So change that and a pop up says Application error and provides options.
Which one - or doesn't it matter?
The rest of the stored info appears to be trhe defaults you mention

JCB

Serial 111111111

Type Fleece

Screen shopt of erropr msg and picture pf battery attached

Thanks for any inf

battery 1.jpg

The error message means you need to program in a workshop code and importer.

The program is offering if you wish to use a default like 123, and 12345 for importer and workshop ID (examples)

So you should press YES to accept, or you can delve into program settings to adjust and write own value's.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

ETA: - Briskoda VCDS Owners Map (click me)

Perhaps , if you want to, you could edit in to your OP a hyperlink to that map/list of VCDS owners who offer help such as 'coding' batteries for those without VCDS, ODIS or similar other battery 'coding' facilities.

I struggle to find the list or this thread as I can't see a way to make them a favourite/bookmark/go-to on this site.

Cheers.

Edited by nta16
add hyperlink
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

There doesn't seem to be any doubt about whether new batteries need to be coded into the car on this forum or anywhere else that I have read on the internet.

The original battery suddenly failed on my 2014 Octavia Mk III  stop/start 1.2 petrol after 90,000 miles, ( a good innings!) so I ordered a new one from Halfords and paid the £27 fitting charge so it could be coded.

Old battery was a Moll EFB 59 Ah. New one to be fitted is a Halfords AGM 096  70 Ah,  so different technology and capacity.

The technician from Halfords "Tyres on the Drive" mobile service came and spent a couple of minutes changing the battery. I started it up, only error message was the stop/start. Turned the steering both ways and all was well. When I said about the coding, he said that it didn't need to be done on VAG cars as they sorted themselves out and he didn't have any coding equipment anyway! We spoke to his supervisor on the phone and he also said that it didn't need coding.

The stop/start works and all electrics, but I am concerned about charging rates fuel consumption battery longevity etc. So I phoned up Halfords again and spoke to several people who all said that it didn't need coding, but did agree to refunding the £27 fitting charge as I was pretty cross, because I could have bought the battery and fitted it myself much quicker.

The questions are: are Halfords right? has anyone had their car properly coded by Halfords, and what should I do now - get it coded by someone else?

Hi, welcome to the forum. Halfords are wrong, your new battery will definitely need coding because of the different capacity and the change to AGM.

I have seen references that Halfords claim to possess the capacity to do the required battery adaptation - although I'm not sure I'd trust them to do this correctly now. 

Edited by Warrior193
added note.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@mshere conesus of opinion (I can't remember seeing any strict evidence, or I might have forgot) that I have seen is as varoom has put.

It could well be that everything works but will your new expensive AGM battery last as long and operate as well without the 'coding' until anyone shows proof by many years of efficient service from the new uncorded AGM battery we won't know for sure as VW likes to keep secrets and hide things.

Halfords have their own battery numbering system and database and batteries marketed for them, nothing wrong with their batteries they're good but expensive often.  One my neighbour bought had an extra level bar to the battery foot bar which he didn't want me to cut off so it took me an extra 20 minutes to adapt (file out) the clamping bar to be firm at its wrong angle and he could have got a better battery for less cost had he let me order one for him.

Don't panic but I'd look (and did) for someone local who can 'code' the battery for a beer token perhaps from the map (found it).

Briskoda VCDS Owners Map (click me)

Doubt or treble check any input as we had a knowledgeable poster on here leave that to an auto-electrician even though he had a VCDS and the auto-electrician enter 7Ah instead of 70Ah and the battery not surprisingly and computer programs started playing up within a year.

By the time the start/stop , er, stops working because the battery state of charge is too low the battery has already gone lower than is best.  A battery in a low state of charge can cause all sorts of unexpected issues even if the car starts and the lights seem bright enough and there are no warning lights or messages.  Despite what some seem to think it's not against the law when required to fully charge the battery with an appropriate battery charger and maintainer to get better out of the battery and longer life, AGM or not.

What many don't know is that summer heat of 30c and 40c isn't good for the battery but the results might not show up until the colder weather in autumn and winter so are disassociated.   If we get that extreme heat again this summer when it's over I'll check the AGM battery on my wife's car and use a charger if required (the heat isn't the best to to charge the battery either).

Good luck.

• Like 2

@mshere As mentioned by others, Halfords have lost the plot.  If you now have an AGM, make sure you have the fabric cover (fibreglass heatshield) to stop the AGM getting damaged by heat.

We did have a user here a few months back, who had his battery adapted in as 7, not 70Ah, so having the value lower in your case will mean it stop charging prematurely.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/510017-another-stopstart-fiasco/

Follow what @nta16 has put about finding a local person with VCDS and get it adapted as soon as you can, along with making sure it has the fabric heat shield ASAP.

Edited by varooom
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/12/2022 at 20:04, varooom said:

VCDS/ODIS Service How to adapt a new battery

A little guide I made to help you adapt a new battery to your vehicle

VCDS How to adapt a new battery.pdf 657.81 kB · 177 downloads

ODIS Service How to adapt a new battery.pdf 402.81 kB · 73 downloads

Hello, I don't want to start a new topic unnecessarily, so I'll ask here if I can.
I bought a new battery today, the same one the car left the factory line with.
At the moment when I wanted to adapt a new battery, I noticed that it has the same code as the previous battery (000915105CC) entered in vcds serial number line.
How else can I adapt the battery.
To be sure, I changed the Ah from 68 to 69 and then back to 68, everywhere I changed the previous reading by one letter or number, then back to the reading that is on the battery. Is the battery also adapted by this? Thank you.

(( Picture with RED square is OLD battery, GREEN is the NEW ))

new.png

old.png

25 minutes ago, homelessdrop said:

Thanks for the advice, but I have one more question, this serial code doesn't affect anything else?

Not that I know of, it just tells the car you have a new battery, so should make it learn faster.

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

Some follow-up on Halfords failing to code my new battery fitted by them.

Everything was working OK, but I was worried about the longevity of the battery and was going to find someone local with a VCDS as suggested by this forum.

However, I have a Vgate adapter with WiFi connection anyway and started looking at the diagnostics with different softwares on my Android phone. To my surprise the CarScanner App actually has the ability to do quite a lot of coding built into it for certain models (incl. most Skodas)  - google car scanner to get to their site and look at the tab for "coding and service" It shows which cars it will code. 

Note that to see the coding button on the app you need to have setup a connection profile for your Skoda first in settings (for my Octavia 3 1.2 TSI it is the second profile on the Skoda list) and it has to be connected to the car CPU by WiFi or Bluetooth, whichever you have on your adapter. 

When you start, it strongly recommends that you backup all your car settings before changing anything and warns that it takes some time (about 5-10 minutes) Then I scrolled to the battery section and it has the standard 4 parameters: Capacity, Type, Manufacturer and Serial number. I changed all of them as suggested in this forum. Capacity from 59 Ah to 70 Ah, Type from EFB to Fleece (for AGM) manufacturer from JCB to HAL and changed the serial number from 11111111111 to 11111111112. It happily accepted all of these parameters and showed them as the stored parameters when I looked later.

A word of warning - the free version of CarScanner  only lets you change 3 parameters so I had to buy the pro version for £4 halfway through programming, but if you don't want to buy it, then don't change the manufacturer code as that is the only one which doesn't actually need changing and just change the serial number to make it realise that you have a new battery plus the capacity and type if you need to.

Everything still works OK and hopefully it will be charging correctly now, but I am not going to play around with any of the other myriad of settings it will let me code.

There you are - Battery coding for a few pounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

mshere reported one way to use a Vgate WIFI OBD2 adapter to battery coding after bat replace.

Is it possible to reset AIRBAG fault code with OBD2 adapter?

I had a left door cable harness repair and the AIRBAG error never disapered.

Thanks for support 

• 5 months later...

I changed the 9 year old battery in my 2014 Octavia III this afternoon, swapping the OEM Varta 68Ah for a Bosch 70Ah.  The local "cheap" garage wanted £40 to do the change, including the coding, and said it would be a half hour task.  Thanks to mshere and his CarScanner tip I did the whole job myself in a leisurely twenty minutes, start to finish!  I thought I might as well cough up the £4.69 to get the full app as it appears to be quite capable - so far I've only turned on the needle sweep feature to test it, but I'll be looking through the list to see what else I might try out (cornering foglights might be useful).

• Like 1