30 Min for driving = No Android Auto

Hello all, I've had and issue with my android auto since i go the car about 5 months ago now, after about 20 - 40 min of driving with android auto it become useless, best way to describe it is as if someone is unplugging my phone every 20 seconds and plugging it back in.

it is supposedly being "disconnected" and reconnected and it makes it extremely frustrating as it makes it completely unusable.

I have tried different cables etc but no luck, I wanted to be quite patient as maybe a software update would fix but no luck even with the new cool walk update for android auto. I had the headhunt updated as well a few months ago to the latest update nut no luck.

On a very small number of occasions a phone restart has helped but most of the time not.

I don't really have the chance to try another phone as I don't have a spare one and often don't travel long distances with other people. 

I have a OnePlus Nord 2 incase this matters.

Car is a facelift octavia from 2017 with "5Q0 035 874" - MIB2 Skoda Amundsen

Any help is appreciated 

Edited by WillRB

I think it's the phone. I have a OnePlus 8T and it does exactly the same thing. 

The problem seems to be that as long as the phone is not at 100% charge then it works. As soon as it reaches 100% it disconnects from AA. Smartlink then detects it and reconnects it only for the phone to disconnect again as it's at 100% and so on..... 

There is a lot of chat about this on various OnePlus forums but not a concrete solution. Mine was fine until the Android 12 update but unfortunately nothing's changed with the Android 13 update. 

I was going to reply earlier saying something could be stuck in the port on the phone but was busy. Looks like another issue though.

I've had crap build up in the port before that caused very similar issues.

• Like 1

Another OnePlus 8T user with the same annoying problem. The only way to sort it according to numerous threads online is to root the phone and download an app to limit the full charge so that it never gets to 100%. The same does not happen in my wife's Hyundai Tucson so it does seem to be a VAG issue. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marshy33 said:

You could get an android auto wireless dongle, but more of a workaround than solving the issue.

Yeah, considered / still considering this. If you're on a long journey you'd have to switch back to the cable to keep the phone battery topped up. Not a massive issue.

Any suggestions for a dongle? I know Motorola do one but last time I looked availability wasn't great.

I was a beta tester for this one, so have been using before it was released. Any questions just let me know. 

https://aawireless.io/

I solely use android auto and don't actually use anything else on the headunit, well apart from the dab radio. 

Good thing is now you can use a fast charger through the cigarette lighter. 

1 hour ago, Marshy33 said:

I was a beta tester for this one, so have been using before it was released. Any questions just let me know. 

I solely use android auto and don't actually use anything else on the headunit, well apart from the dab radio. 

Thanks 👍

Take it the dongle works well, no major issues? 

33 minutes ago, Swirly182 said:

Thanks 👍

Take it the dongle works well, no major issues? 

Yeah works perfectly. I have on occasion had a random reboot, but thats more the crappie integration of android auto on technisat units.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Marshy33 said:

Yeah works perfectly. I have on occasion had a random reboot, but thats more the crappie integration of android auto on technisat units.

Ordered last night, fitted tonight and seems to work 👍 Did you get any commission? 😁

19 hours ago, Marshy33 said:

Haha no commision unfortunately, but I  had a few devices sent to me for free whilst we were testing and another once it went into production. 

Sorry to keep pestering. When using the Google assistant function to play a song on Spotify, it states "something went wrong, open the app and try again". Tried this and still doesn't work, have you come across this? 

I put it in the sliding compartment under climate control. And slide the door shut as far as it can with the cable sticking through. Seen some people use velcro to stick it out the way, which is probably a cleaner way of doing it. 

As for the error, I only ask Google to set destinations for waze. I'll try Spotify when out in the car later and let you know.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I did what I should have done before posting here and restarted the phone. All good now 👍 Not that there was any doubt, but I'm really impressed so far. Connects surprisingly quick, is very convenient and eliminates the disconnection issue. Thanks again. 

On 26/02/2023 at 18:10, Gingola10 said:

I think it's the phone. I have a OnePlus 8T and it does exactly the same thing. 

The problem seems to be that as long as the phone is not at 100% charge then it works. As soon as it reaches 100% it disconnects from AA. Smartlink then detects it and reconnects it only for the phone to disconnect again as it's at 100% and so on..... 

There is a lot of chat about this on various OnePlus forums but not a concrete solution. Mine was fine until the Android 12 update but unfortunately nothing's changed with the Android 13 update. 

On 27/02/2023 at 03:50, Swirly182 said:

Another OnePlus 8T user with the same annoying problem. The only way to sort it according to numerous threads online is to root the phone and download an app to limit the full charge so that it never gets to 100%. The same does not happen in my wife's Hyundai Tucson so it does seem to be a VAG issue. 

So I have payed attention to this and that's it! only happens when at 100% battery. so frustrating. 

18 hours ago, WillRB said:

So I have payed attention to this and that's it! only happens when at 100% battery. so frustrating. 

Yep! Wireless dongle on order?

On 27/02/2023 at 21:07, Marshy33 said:

Tried one these the other day and couldnt get it to work. The issue seems to be the version of Android and, within that, whether some specific features are supported on the phone. I have a Huawei with 9.0, it took some digging to find that the issue is probably a lack of support for Wireless in Android Auto. Turning On developer mode and rebooting kills Android Auto completely, wouldnt connect by cable at all. 

Also tried a Samsung A20 with 11.0 installed, much smoother but still didnt connect - Android Auto still didnt have the Wireless option to select so I'm guessing that was the issue. According to AAWireless, Android 11 should just work - no caveats as with earlier versions.

So, if I'm to replace my phone what can I expect to work ? (at a reasonable price - say up to £200)