How reliable is your MK I Octavia  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How reliable is your MK I Octavia

• Most reliable car I have owned
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • I know my dealer on first name terms

New in November 2001, is a 2002 model 4x4 20VT Hatchback.

A really nice car to drive, has now done 80,000 miles. Reliability has been poor but I put a lot of that down to the dealer's inability to solve problems quickly as they arose.

Our other car is a Toyota and the typical garage response for the past 15 years in which we've dealt with them, has been "Pop it round and we'll sort it". Nothing has ever gone unsorted for more than a day or two at the outside. Then it has only been parts availability. Diagnosis has been 100% correct first time.

First line response with the Skoda, has been "Never heard of that one before" presumably in the hope that I'd just go away. Some issues took months to resolve. If I had seen a couple of day turn round on everything then I'd be happy enough.

I've been very happy with the AAs Skoda assistance who must have turned out to me around 7 or 8 times now. Up to buying the Skoda I've only called the AA twice in my life. They were both for company cars, which broke their clutch cables about four years apart at the same road junction. Ive been driving 40 years now.

I can't see me moving to a New Octavia for a whole range of reasons, the above is just one of them

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've had my Dec '01 tdi ambient estate for 10 months and have covered just over 20,000 miles in that time, bringing the mileage up to 108,000.

when i bought the car (from a dealer) it had a fault that manifested itself after 10 miles of driving, after a week of diagnostics it turned out it needed a new turbo (£600), but this was covered under warranty.

a couple of weeks ago i changed the front disks and pads, got an advisory on the MOT in january, they still worked fine, but were rather worn, and i suspect they were the original ones.

my drivers seatbelt can be a little slow to retract at times, but its not a real concern.

otherwise the car has been faultless. i sold my alfa 156 because every squeak and rattle usually resulted in a trip to the dealers, so by comparison the skoda is perfect!

it will have to go some to keep up with the mazda i had before the alfa, when i traded it in it had 215,000 miles on the clock (M reg 323), and the only things i changed on it were exhaust, rear shockers and front discs, otherwise the car was faultless!

2001 Nov 4x4 1.8T 126000km now chipped when 60000.

Changed:

all Coilpacks

DV

Front disk

Front and back w bearings (this year)

Main fuse block on top of battery - meltdown

About 3 years ago it had a problem with the haldex or ABS - nobody knows realy what was the PB - a computer reset was enough

500ml oil/10.000km now in short urban driving

I have noticed a knock a about three weks ago - the exhaust middle hook welding is broken

I did not have another car for such a long time as this one but I consider the car reliable

Car 1.8T Elegance

Owned for 13 months, 8000 miles from 45K

Water pump failed

thermostat failed

clutch melted by dealer

split turbo hose

rear wash pipe came off

trapped wire in ignition

cold start problems

engine mounting broke, braking the gearbox

creaking noise from NS rear

rattle from sunroof

Engine management light on once a week on average

drunk oil at a scary rate

Plus many more that I am trying to forget.

Most unreliable car I have ever owned, and I owned a Maestro!

2000 Octaiva slxi 1.8t 20v

Have had the car for 1 year now 72000, 10.000 mine and loved it for 6 months, only problem was o/s ft wheel bearing. Now have painfull intermittant problem that no-one as yet can diagnose. Ecu shows max boost pressure exceded but no prob with turbo? Have replaced d-valve and maf which sorted it for 3 weeks now back at playing silly sods!:rofl:

Weve got 2 Octy Mk 1's, Most reliable cars we have owned, shame I can only vote once

1.9 tdi 110 L&K, now up to 114000, few niggles but nothing considering the mileage

1.8T 4x4, 60000 miles & massivly modified, now running 350 bhp, Im amazed at how well the std parts take the abuse

Oh & a brilliant dealer in Winchester Motor Co who really know their stuff, that might just be the difference

My front speaker is vibrating especially with high base. Is there a way of fixing the problem without replacing them

Have a look at the sticky about improving bass from standard speakers at the top of the Octy section. Also I had some new insert fitted under warrenty when I had this problem, no idea what though.

Whilst my 40K 4x4 1.8T estate has never failed in service it has had all the usual suspects fixed under warranty - all coil packs & indicator/hazard switch replaced.

Only ongoing issue is an intermittent creaking noise eminating from the NS rear suspension. Overall this car has proved to be an astonishingly competent beast of burden, easily carrying roof box and everything else we used to fill our previous Sierra RS 24v Cosworth estate. However it uses a fraction of the fuel - the RS rarely exceeded 20mpg on trips to the Alps whilst the Octavia always manages to exceed 30 despite peddling just as fast. To be frank by blending in the Octavia provides a much more enjoyable experience simply because you don't find every one hell bent on a racing start at every set of lights, and yet it has enough grunt to leave a number of embarrassed BMW drivers in its dust. Finally the 4WD and extra ground clearance is a god-send as it means we rarely bother to clear the snow off the driveway. Indeed it has proved so good the family now has a fleet of three more.

dont own an octavia personally, but wasnt one of the design faults when you open the boot water would drip right inside of the boot, i think that and low ground clearence - u think they sorted that on the MKII verions when they facelifted it the bumper was raised or something:)

dont own an octavia personally, but wasnt one of the design faults when you open the boot water would drip right inside of the boot, i think that and low ground clearence - u think they sorted that on the MKII verions when they facelifted it the bumper was raised or something:)

The boot mounted water filler is still there in the MKII.

Easiest way to avoid it........ buy an estate.

I believe the water leaking into the boot is still an issue with the MK2. Not sure on the ground clearance lol!

Chris

Or open the boot a bit slower so the water has a change to drain away properly...

Rob.

im sure its its tipping it down you wouldnt want to wast time getting soaked and open the boot slowly would you?:P or maybe you would i dont know lol! :)

im sure its its tipping it down you wouldnt want to wast time getting soaked and open the boot slowly would you?:P or maybe you would i dont know lol! :)

Manchester has a well-deserved reputation for being the rainiest city in the UK...as such, there's generally little point in wearing anything which isn't waterproof, hence there's not usually a need to rush when it's raining... :)

Rob.

Only average :(

In three years from new coilpacks and indicator unit replaced. Previous car ran for 7 years with only replacement of consumables.

You think that's only average?

Try driving a french car for a similar period and I bet you'd have a lot more faults.

You think that's only average?

Try driving a french car for a similar period and I bet you'd have a lot more faults.

LOL , spot on. Just ran a MK2 megane for 3 years and now I know what unreliable

really is.

Cant comment on the vRS yet, only had it a couple of months.

2001 Octy RS which have had since Jan 2003. Completely reliable with the exception of the dealer fit Scorpion alarm which went FUBAR but was still fixed under warranty (by a different dealer). Seats did also fray but were replaced easily under warranty so I don't count them as I got new seats 2 3/4 years after purchasing which can't be bad :)

Minor annoyance to me really - TBH I don't even notice it now and I certainly wouldn't rate that as a "reliability" issue or ven one that would remotely influence me in buying. The benefit of the size of the boot would massively counteract it ... two week holiday to France camping with wife and 2 kids and we carried our stuff in the boot without a problem (no top box or stacking of interior etc) :thumbup:

Sept 2003 Octy vRS so nearly 3 years old,

Had no problems so far(touch wood),

Had it re-mapped at 10K miles,

had Full exhaust,

FMIC,

F+R ARB,

Strut Braces U+L,

Converted to LPG at 50K miles.

now has 81K miles on the clock and its running better than ever.

Going to have a new disc's and pads all round at next service and a new clutch at 100K miles,might even fit a LSD.

but i have had no problems,coilpack went once but thats been it.