Steering wheel upgrade

Hi all,

Thinking about changing the steering wheel on my Superb SEL to a flat bottom wheel as my current one is starting to show signs of wear and tear and I like the look of the flat design.

Interested to know people opinions and experiences.

Has anyone changed this themselves and if so is it easy to do?

Also where have people bought one from? 

I have found the one below.

Screenshot_20230225-124732.png

The first mod I did was changing to the Alcantara steering wheel. I got it in a week from the local dealer who ordered it from CZ. The airbag unclips from the back of the wheel and you need a 12mm 'triple-square' for the main wheel bolt.  Have a look on youtube for VW Golf 7 steering wheel change - there's plenty on there.

swheel.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 26/02/2023 at 09:52, sklar said:

The first mod I did was changing to the Alcantara steering wheel. I got it in a week from the local dealer who ordered it from CZ. The airbag unclips from the back of the wheel and you need a 12mm 'triple-square' for the main wheel bolt.  Have a look on youtube for VW Golf 7 steering wheel change - there's plenty on there.

swheel.jpeg

Yeah that's what's I am looking to do. Had a look online for a steering wheel, but not many places. You say you ordered yours from main dealer. Are you UK based? If so how much did you fork out? Cheers

11 hours ago, sklar said:

Here it is in situ once I got a pic of it today.

IMG_2590 2.jpg

That looks sweet, where did you get that from?

Its the part number you referenced above 565064241A GCW

https://skodapartsdirect.co.uk/product/skoda-superb-estate-2016-present-three-spoke-sport-steeling-wheel-in-alcantara-trim/

Skoda Parts Direct is Fish Brothers Skoda Swindon, which is pretty local to me so I picked up at the displayed price.  Perhaps your local dealer can source from CZ at the same price.  Obviously no VAT/duties issues when getting from UK dealer.

The wheel without paddles is 565064241 GCW, probably a few quid cheaper.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, numskull said:

Does the wheel need to be coded?

Provided u get the same before and after "specs" then no.

i.e. if u went from round with paddles to flat-bottomed with paddles

Or

If u went from round heated to flat-bottomed heated.

However, if u went from round non-heated to flat-bottomed heated, then u'll need to change the steering clock-spring and do coding.

• Like 1

I did mine, used a wheel from a wrecked Kodiaq Sportline and just re used the original airbag. Works perfectly! There is a 1cm gap at the back/top of the wheel where the airbag cover doesn’t match up but you can’t see it. Except when you look down from the top which is never.

84E6040E-3F3B-44B6-AD06-ECC6DB035F26.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gammyleg said:

Much prefer the leatherette look to the furry Alcantara.

+1 for the perforated leather.

It is a little bit more nicer to look at, plus it matches the perforated leather seats.

PXL_20220919_084409343.thumb.jpg.a5b7f12ddaa70ab1aa5caf38144cbeaf.jpg

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 1

On 01/03/2023 at 20:28, JR RS said:

Provided u get the same before and after "specs" then no.

i.e. if u went from round with paddles to flat-bottomed with paddles

Or

If u went from round heated to flat-bottomed heated.

However, if u went from round non-heated to flat-bottomed heated, then u'll need to change the steering clock-spring and do coding.

Are there any other requirements like having heated seats?

I've been on the search for a round heated steering wheel (would have been nice with paddles but I think the heating element is probably more useful) and read somewhere that by having and pressing the button for heated seats would also active the heated steering wheel or at least bring up a prompt on the infortainment.

I know it needs a new steering clock spring for the heating element.

This is probably something I'd like to get done.