A hypothetical question.

vegit8

Like most modern cars, ours does not have a mechanical handbrake.

Given my advancing years (3 score and 10 this year) and the physical state of some of my peers, a thought crossed my mind during one of my middle of the night rampant brain activity sessions.

What would happen in the event of a medical emergency affecting the drivers ability to control the vehicle?

The front seat passenger (if there was one) could grab the steering wheel, but what about slowing down?

At least with a DSG, one could shift the lever to manual mode and downshift, the engine might not agree, but needs must!

My real question is what would happen if the electrical parking brake switch is activated at (say) 30mph or higher? 

35 minutes ago, vegit8 said:

My real question is what would happen if the electrical parking brake switch is activated at (say) 30mph or higher? 

The car will stop, somewhat abruptly. If you’re willing to try it, make sure you have your brown trousers on :)

If the car was in danger of hitting something there is a very good chance that the emergency braking would cut in.

Last week a car in front suddenly stopped and I instantly braked but the emergency software had beaten me to it and was already slowing the car.

4 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

The car will stop, somewhat abruptly. If you’re willing to try it, make sure you have your brown trousers on :)

My wife accidently pulled the brake on one of our cars at ~50mph when I asked her to get something out of the glove box. A lot of noise, but easily controlled. As its, I beleive, an electrically activated cable brake I doubt that the abs could moderate it. In respose to Karock's comment above, automatic brakes would not help initially if the driver had been incapacitated, but may if that incapacitation was leading to a collision.

Edited by Routemaster1461

I only pulled the parking brake on for fun in my drive one day. Walking pace. 

Not a pretty sound.

On the road, if some calamity had happened, I would happily pull it on if all else had failed.

But I’d be waiting for the rear end to possible step out of line.

Going off at a bit of a tangent, does the Karoq electronic handbrake have a manual override so it can be released if it failed in the on position, similar to the Land Rover Discovery 3, 4 and possibly other models for instance?

My users manual says:

Parking brake can be used as emergency brake in case of failure of main brake system. Pull the switch as shown and hold it (warning will be heard), vehicle will stop as quickly as possible. Braking will be interrupted if the switch is released or accelerator pressed. Use the function of emergency brake only in case of real emergency and there is no response of brake pedal.

• Like 1