Octavia MKIII Scout fan smell

As my sight is failing  now unfortunately I don’t drive anymore so am often in the front passenger seat these days. I have started to notice a “Sicky” smell coming out of the LH blower  vent when the engine has started. The smell seems to go after a few minutes. I’d be very grateful for your advice please. Cheers, John

Could it be mould or bacterial growth in the air conditioning ducts?

It could obviously be many things, but as a simple start, you could try letting off an air-conditioning spray/bomb in the car.  Worked really well on my 2015 vRS when it got a bit of a whiff.

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
typo
  • Like 3

^^^^ what Toot says. You may find that the pollen filter has not been changed when due - even if the vehicle has supposedly been regularly dealer serviced.

• Like 2

Thanks everybody for the advice. I get the Scout serviced every year and I don’t remember ever being billed for a pollen filter. The car blew a fuse in January and the garage technician re-fitted the glove box cover without connecting the damper again. When I complained he didn’t even know there was a damper! As changing the pollen filter involves removing the glove box cover it’s doubtful that it has ever been replaced. 
Looking on YouTube it looks like a very fiddly job but my son is confident that he can do it!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Johnfella said:

Thanks everybody for the advice. I get the Scout serviced every year and I don’t remember ever being billed for a pollen filter. The car blew a fuse in January and the garage technician re-fitted the glove box cover without connecting the damper again. When I complained he didn’t even know there was a damper! As changing the pollen filter involves removing the glove box cover it’s doubtful that it has ever been replaced. 
Looking on YouTube it looks like a very fiddly job but my son is confident that he can do it!

Yes, pretty fiddly getting the damper back on - needs very small hands - or a tool that you can use to press the hook back down onto the bar - all while trying to keep both parts of the damper together and fastened to hole in the side of the compartment.  

• Like 1

I will ask my son to change the pollen filter for me but, in the meantime is there an easily accessible air intake on the outside of the car where I can spray in some anti-bacterial air spray?

I've recently just replaced my Pollen filter on my 68 octavia and GSF car parts have the MANN Polyphenol pollen filter on sale for £16 and the carbon one for £12 which is a bargain.

I use a long flat head screwdriver with some masking tape over the end so I don't scratch anything to get the damper back on and it works a treat.

I took toots advice last year with the whole "clean the area" bit of pollen filter change (while changing the filter). Was surprised at the grot.  Next time I'll consider an airbomb too if I can find one for a sensible price.

• Like 4