Fuel flap lock

Hi folks,

Can anyone please tell me how to access the fuel flap lock on my 2015 Mk3 vRS? It has become intermittent, sometimes locking, but worse---not unlocking!!

Many thanks,

Kev.

On 21/03/2023 at 20:12, Kevin Pallett said:

Hi folks,

Can anyone please tell me how to access the fuel flap lock on my 2015 Mk3 vRS? It has become intermittent, sometimes locking, but worse---not unlocking!!

Many thanks,

Kev.

If you can get it open there is a screw near the filler cap remove it take the cap off and pull the whole thing out. 
then replace the lock with this 

https://amzn.eu/d/32Tj7rt

Edited by mattft86
  • Love it! 2

20 hours ago, mattft86 said:

If you can get it open there is a screw near the filler cap remove it take the cap off and pull the whole thing out. 
then replace the lock with this 

https://amzn.eu/d/32Tj7rt

Many thanks, mattft86 -- that is very helpful 👍

• Like 1

I met the “fail to open” problem on a previous Superb and got a dealer to force it open somehow.

I then modified the flap locking lug by cutting a piece out so it never locked again.

I couldn’t live with the fear of intermittent jamming.

And refused to go through the hassle of fitting a new lock.

A poor design.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

I met the “fail to open” problem on a previous Superb and got a dealer to force it open somehow.

I then modified the flap locking lug by cutting a piece out so it never locked again.

A poor design.

IMHO at the very least there should be an emergency manual release - like on my ex's Mk1 Fabia where you could access the lock via an access hatch in the boot.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

A poor design.

2 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

IMHO at the very least there should be an emergency manual release - like on my ex's Mk1 Fabia where you could access the lock via an access hatch in the boot.

That’s why I fitted the one in my link it has the emergency pull cord. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Is that a plug'n'play direct replacement?

Yes bud no modding needed just thread the emergency pull cord into the boot. If you pull the boot liner back you can see the filler. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 28/03/2023 at 09:35, BoxerBoy said:

A poor design.

Hi, i've started getting the dreaded intermittent filler flap not opening on my 2014 Octavia vRS estate..

What part of the locking lug did you cut?

Woukdl it be possible just to disconnect the motor, just unplug it so it doesn't lock  but still latches when pushed closed?

Seems to be a common issue.

I cut away a piece on the inside of the flap where the “bolt” turns to engage the lock. 

It will never lock again.

Open the flap and actuate the bolt and you’ll see it turn 90 degrees. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

I cut away a piece on the inside of the flap where the “bolt” turns to engage the lock. 

It will never lock again.

Open the flap and actuate the bolt and you’ll see it turn 90 degrees. 

ah ok, so the flap closes but doesn't clip shut, it's only the spring in the hinge keeping it closed?

I bought a new actuator, seems a pretty easy fit - my local Skoda dealer quoted £144.50 per hour labour!!!! Sod that i'll do it myself lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HamishP said:

Thanks for this, however, it's saying the part doesn't fit a 2014 Octavia 3 Estate 

Interesting, it fitted my previous 2015 Octavia 3 estate and fits my 2016 Octavia 3 hatch?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Interesting, it fitted my previous 2015 Octavia 3 estate and fits my 2016 Octavia 3 hatch?

Thats good enough for me! I'll buy it see how it goes.

Looks pretty easy to fit, or am i in for skinned knuckles?

Is it fiddly to feed the red pull cord through to the boot?

• Like 1

There's an irony that the "Simply clever" ice scraper, that the marketing people banged on about,  can end up being locked behind the "simply stupid" design of the fuel cap! 🤣

Cheers

• Haha 1
  • Cheeky 1

Just now, 3rdoctavia said:

There's an irony that the "Simply clever" ice scraper, that the marketing people banged on about,  can end up being locked behind the "simply stupid" design of the fuel cap! 🤣

Cheers

lol exactly!

Have you ever tried changing a front indicator bulb on an Octavia 3? Needs bumper off, cluster removed, the buld is behind a sealed pastic housing that needs to be melted to get access then you need to buy a cover kit to cover the hole! Ridiculous! 

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

I recently had to repair a broken grill and was told it would need a whole new bumper as it was all integrated. They only came in a base colour so would need a respray too so a broken grill could run into more that a grand to repair !

Simply Clever ... I'm sure there could be an entire topic on these things 🤣

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

On 03/04/2024 at 15:31, PetrolDave said:

Bought the part in the link you sent mate, fitted in 10 mins, 20 mins to feed the pull cord through - works a treat! 
Cheers for the help! 👍

Part on the right - OEM £48

Part on the left - after market - £12

Identical parts! 🤷‍♂️

IMG_8839.jpeg

• Like 2