Oil Level Sensor and Combined Temperature - high level and when does the temperature display

Skoda Superb Mk III, iV, Yesterday got a warning 'please reduce oil level visit workshop'. Recently serviced in February. AA attended and dropped some oil from the sump and cleared the warning. This morning after driving for 30-40 mins the same warning has appeared. Booked the car into the local dealer tomorrow for a check. The other thing I noticed is that the oil temperature reading does not always display. So from the brief research I have done the sensor for oil level and temperature is combined?

It seems to indicate to me that there is an obvious fault with the sensor.

Does anyone know at what temperature the display should start indicating? Also anyone with similar issues?

Got the car back today from the garage. They stated that it had been overfilled at the last service. They dropped the oil level and so far so good. They couldn't answer my question about when the oil temperature should start to display a reading. Only maybe 52Deg and above.

• Thanks 1

Pleased it’s sorted.
Did you have it overfilled by the same dealer? If so I presume they didn’t charge you today? In any event, that’s a school person error; no vehicle should ever be overfilled in 2023, especially by a main dealer - the damage to the engine and ancillaries can be significant. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, STEMAC said:

They couldn't answer my question about when the oil temperature should start to display a reading. Only maybe 52Deg and above.

50'C and above is normal for these sensors :)

• Like 2

It was the main dealer and they did the service. They didn't charge me today for it. The main inconvenience was dropping it off in the morning and having to go back and pick it up in the afternoon as there was no courtesy car to offer until the 19th April. The overfill should not have happened. At least I have the paper trail now just incase something else comes up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The oil temp starts being displayed from 50°C. Below this temp, you only get "---".

It's only a question of sensor cost. Indeed it's hard to get a sensor with reliable calibration from -40°C (in cold soaked conditions) to +120°C (in very hot conditions). Otherwise the sensor cost is not really compliant with automotive industry cost targets. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@STEMAC

The Workshop Manager or Dealer Principal should have given you their Dealership Demonstrator and got a bus or had the incompetent drive them around while they get trained on how to service a car. 

What is the story. 

Was this overfill @ your first service on your 1.5 TSI PHEV on Fixed Servicing so @ 12 months /9,400 miles or sooner as they have to be, and are you paying for servicing or have a Service Plan?

How many miles ago was the service carried out?

?

Does the invoice show the quantity of oil charged for at the service? 

Edited by toot

6 hours ago, toot said:

The Workshop Manager or Dealer Principal should have given you their Dealership Demonstrator and got a bus or had the incompetent drive them around while they get trained on how to service a car. 

Those days have well and truly gone. I’d be surprised if they even apologised for the inconvenience they actually caused; 95% of main dealers are shameful.

7 hours ago, numskull said:

Those days have well and truly gone. I’d be surprised if they even apologised for the inconvenience they actually caused; 95% of main dealers are shameful.

7 hours ago, numskull said:

So we got the car late last year from a Pullman Skoda it was ex-demo and we got two services as a package. It went for the first in February at the same dealer and yes the oil was changed. They do provide a cost breakdown but not specifics on the exact quantities. Only that it was full. While I was sat at the cafe next to the service desk I overheard someone drop their car in for exactly the same issue (not sure which model). He was given the same response I was, maybe its software! Now this seems to be a standard answer nowadays for an easy get out. When I went to pick up the car I was tight for time so I just needed to get on my way. There wasn't anything near an apology for the inconvenience but it something I will follow up with the Garage.  

14 hours ago, toot said:

@STEMAC

What is the story. 

Was this overfill @ your first service on your 1.5 TSI PHEV on Fixed Servicing so @ 12 months /9,400 miles or sooner as they have to be, and are you paying for servicing or have a Service Plan?

How many miles ago was the service carried out?

?

Does the invoice show the quantity of oil charged for at the service? 

So we got the car late last year from a Pullman Skoda it was ex-demo and we got two services as a package. It went for the first in February at the same dealer and yes the oil was changed. They do provide a cost breakdown but not specifics on the exact quantities. Only that it was full. While I was sat at the cafe next to the service desk I overheard someone drop their car in for exactly the same issue (not sure which model). He was given the same response I was, maybe its software! Now this seems to be a standard answer nowadays for an easy get out. When I went to pick up the car I was tight for time so I just needed to get on my way. There wasn't anything near an apology for the inconvenience but it something I will follow up with the Garage.  

• Thanks 1

They are due you a gesture,

Minimum your fuel cost to return to have them be sure your car was safe.

As it is i would have had them sending out their Technician to check the car or have Skoda Assist or some other recovery service get the car in as it should not be run overfilled with oil.

As it was the AA removed oil you say, but they still had to remove more.

They are actually due you an extra Free Gratis Service.   Cheeky barstewads.    Be sure the Dealer Principal is aware, they are in charge of incompetents. 

?

Did the AA responder take the oil out via the sump plug or out of the dip stick tube?

Edited by toot