Skoda Karoq Tyre alts from 19”

Smiler100

I have read these articles on the problem of 19in tyres. On my Skoda Karoq Edition I have those awful 19in wheels. My tyres size is 235/40R19W93 and I now have both front tyres read to be replaced. I would prefer not to fit new wheels but it seems to get a more comfortable ride I cannot just replaced my Pirelli tyres with another make. I am a reasonable but not fast, fast driver and like comfort and easier travel over bad roads. Any idea of my next step with the tyre change?

why does my data show a 225 size for my car but I have 235, could this be because I have an Edition spec  Karoq.

Edited by ColinD

• ColinD changed the title to Skoda Karoq Tyre alts from 19”
  • Administrators

@Smiler100 I split your post from the for sale topic. It’s a good question in its own right.

changing tyre profile depth (40) is possible. Just be aware the overall rolling size, as that will alter many things inc Speedo. A set of 18” might afford more profile and a bit more cushioning.

problem is, that’s all 4 wheels and tyres and far more expense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smiler100 said:

My tyres size is 235/40R19 93W

That tyre size makes no sense.

A 235/40R19 doesn't have a load index of 93.

If your tyre really does have a load index of 93, then you won't have a 235/40R19 tyre size.

A 225/40R19 has a 93XL load index, so maybe you do have the original Karoq 2WD 19" tyre size.

Edited by Carlston

5 minutes ago, toot said:

The OP says they have an Edition model, just not that it is a FWD one but it will be if fitted with that tyre size and still the original tyres.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/444136-19-tyre-size

The 235/40R19 tyre size has a Standard Load index of 92 or an eXtra Load index of 96.

So if it's really a 235/40R19 tyre size, it won't have a load index of 93.

Karoq with 19 inch wheels have following (from link)

235/40 R19 (4x2)

225/40 R19 (4x2)

225/45 R19 (4x4)

245/40 R19 (4x4)

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/639a0118-4da5-446b-a786-86e1f789b57b

Double check which size you have, because it was clearly changed at some stage, or certain specs had size that varied from other specs

If Op is a fairly gentle driver, then should avoid the more sport biased tyres

Perhaps any of Bridgestone Turanza 6, Goodyear Eagle asymmetric 6, Continental premium contact 6, Pirelli Powergy, Falken Azenis FK520

But if want a tyre for safe driving all year (including cold rain and frost) then go All season, perhaps Goodyear vector 4season Gen 3, Continental all season contact, Vredestein Quattrac Pro, Pirelli All season SF2, Hankook Kinergy 4S2 H750, Michelin cross climate 2

I will check the various comments on my Karoq tyres tomorrow. Very helpful. I will also check the printed spec for the suggested tyres. Have now spoken to a Skoda engineer and our local tyre garage. They are quoting about £1600 for a new set of wheels and tyres. Start getting expensive just to change for my comfort and I suppose I also need then to change the get home spare wheel.  My car has completed 37k miles and they are the original Pirelli tyres, front getting down to 2.5mm so time to change , back 4.5mm.  Thanks guys.

• Like 1

You might well find Wheels and Tyres advertised on BRISKODA forum to suit your needs, i hear there are people with Skoda's on there.

Maybe look see what your spare tyre is, because it is near the correct circumference for the car, but not identical as a match.

So you might not need to change it.

But then maybe getting 5 matching wheels an tyres is a good idea.  If you have directional tyres though the 5th tyre has a 50 / 50 chance of being for the correct side. 

Getting replacement wheels of a smaller size does not have to be an overly expensive exercise.

The popular online auction site often has many to choose from. 

Plus tyres for smaller wheels are often cheaper as they are more widely used.

On 30/03/2023 at 20:04, Carlston said:

The 235/40R19 tyre size has a Standard Load index of 92 or an eXtra Load index of 96.

So if it's really a 235/40R19 tyre size, it won't have a load index of 93.

Yes I have checked again and the tyres are the originals but the size is 235/40/R19/96W Pirelli Cinturato P7

Thats for making me check again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smiler100 said:

Yes I have checked again and the tyres are the originals but the size is 235/40/R19/96W Pirelli Cinturato P7

Thats for making me check again.

The cheaper way of making it softer (compared to changing rims too) is to avoid any sport or Eco badged tyres.

Get a set of all seasons which tend to be softer (especially on cooler days), never going to be as soft as smaller rims and deeper aspect (55 or 60) tyres, but less firm than Pirelli P7 summer tyres.

Look at the wheel catalogue I linked above, pick some and get the dealer (spare parts Dept) to price up some you might consider,  You can check prices of tyres on a website like mytyres to give rough idea (you can shop around later).  Add rim + tyre price, multiply by 4 wheels, to give a costing.  

Don't be afraid to check online auction sites which might have a set of cheap rims.  A few years ago could save a fortune by ordering from Germany (and only charged about £10 per wheel + tyre for delivery to UK), but not so many will do it since Brexit.

Can I say interesting but to a novice confusing. I had been thinking of reducing my 235/40R19 tyres to give a better ride and consider using a 19in wheel. Still not sure what alternatives I have?

58 minutes ago, Smiler100 said:

Can I say interesting but to a novice confusing. I had been thinking of reducing my 235/40R19 tyres to give a better ride and consider using a 19in wheel. Still not sure what alternatives I have?

As you are new to tyres, I suggest you first consider all of the standard tyre and rim sizes on the Karoq 2WD, which I've listed below.

The smaller the rim diameter, the more comfortable the tyre because as the rim diameter gets smaller the sidewall height gets bigger in order to keep the outside diameter of the tyre about the same for all tyre sizes.

Standard Karoq 2WD tyre and rim sizes (Outside diameter in brackets)

215/60R16 6Jx16 ET43 (664.4mm)

215/55R17 7Jx17 ET45 (668.3mm)

215/50R18 7Jx18 ET45 (672.2mm)

225/40R19 8Jx19 ET45 (662.6mm)

235/40R19 8Jx19 ET45 (670.6mm)

Thanks Carlston, now that's really useful and gives me a better understanding also some guide to alternative tyres. I have found that the wheels are expensive and now searching for the right match.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smiler100 said:

I have found that the wheels are expensive...

Some tyre sizes are cheap.

If you've got a Citigo, some good 14" tyres are available for under £50 each. 165/70R14, 175/65R14, etc.

If you've got a Fabia, Octavia MK1/2/3, Roomster, Scala, etc. some good 14"/15" tyres are available for under £60 each. 185/60R14, 185/65R14, 185/65R15, 195/65R15, etc.

But for 16" tyres and larger, there are few bargains to be had.

Another problem with tyres for larger rim sizes, is that they are often over specified for slower cars. Over specifying the tyre, such as fitting V/W/Y speed rated tyres to a car that has a top speed of less than 130mph, makes the ride harder than it needs to be. This is because tyres made for very high speeds tend to have stiffer sidewalls so don't flex as easily as lower speed tyres.

Below are two photos of a Yeti. The top photo is with the standard 225/50R17 tyres and standard 7Jx17 ET45 rims. The bottom photo is with oversize 235/55R17 tyres and 7Jx17 ET45 rims.

If you would like to do something similar, but on cheaper, lighter and even more comfortable 235/60R16 tyres on 7Jx16 ET45 rims, then I've added a couple of links below.

The outside diameter of 235/60R16 tyres is 688.4mm, which is 2.4% larger than standard 215/50R18 tyres. For comparison, the 235/55R17 tyre size has an outside diameter of 690.3mm which is 2.7% larger than standard 215/50R18 tyres.

Yeti on 225/50R17 tyres (top photo) and 235/55R17 tyres (bottom photo)

SNAAAgFdT-A-960.jpg

Vredestein Quatrac 6 235/60R16 100H

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m139b0s12008p201646/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac_6_-_235_60_R16_100H_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_71dB

7Jx16 ET45 5/112 57.1 steel rims

ALCAR 9257

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rims/details?vehicleId=182363349315490928&rimCode=ALCAR9257

As you can see below, a 7J rim is the standard rim width (hence highlighted in bold) for a 235/60R16 tyre size.

ETRTO approved rim widths

235/60R16 6.5-7.0-8.5

Edited by Carlston

• 1 month later...

I have been looking at changing the tyre size on my Skoda Karoq 1.5 Edition TSI for many months now and have had a lot of helpful comments from the team. I have now had fitted 

17in Alloy Wheels. These were Silver Alloy type RC from Wheelbasealloys.com. I also purchased as a fitted set Michelin Primacy 4 tyres 215/55/17.

Booked my car in for a service and had these fitted by the garage. No problems and I have checked with Skoda on all dimensions and circumferences so they match my speedo readings. 

Only had a few short rides but the ride is more comfortable-smoother and the ride over a bumpy, rough road more pleasant.  Also like the look of the wheels , not much different than before. Total cost to change £1,179 and now to sell my old set of wheels and tyres. They are in very good condition just did not like the ride and at the age of 75 I can choose. 

Many thanks. 

Wheels4.jpg

Wheels3.jpg

• Like 2