first time 4 cylinder engine build (model)

mac11irl

25 minutes ago, Liger1956 said:

Won't the exposed valve gear throw oil everwhere?

I had something similar, made by Revell I think, when I was young.

rocker cover to go on tomorrow to keep the oil in ;)

though i may leave it off for a while to be able to see it all working togwther a bit better

Edited by mac11irl
  • Like 1

Sunday -

rocker cover went on,

timing belt, fan belt, waterpump, fan assembly, flywheel, distributor, and spark plugs and drive motor..

20230409_200003.thumb.jpg.ad5f4443ffdb4d9b695cec3035237435.jpg

timing set tool in position

20230409_201437.thumb.jpg.6bb8f1b905863c93da2ab486390a1380.jpg

20230409_204140.thumb.jpg.b1f6afea37b3eb3c32404f507d578b49.jpg

20230409_204143.thumb.jpg.50af93e1ee75b6763ea170c794d2cb39.jpg

nearly there.....

• Like 2

and so, last night...

20230410_204506.thumb.jpg.a7c4ab7b3fea4cb421c4e8c779716584.jpg

20230410_204515.thumb.jpg.ac02220af5055fabed94a15af743a7cf.jpg

manifolds and last dressy bits..

and fired it up

insralled the AR app, and discovered we had misplaced a vital piece.. 

the sticker to put beside the start button, which acts as a ref point for the app - without it, the app wont "find" the engine! spud sr found it this morning, so we will try it out later 

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

video was a bit big, had to trim it

overall a fun little project. age appropriate for an 8yr old? not without a grown up.. for an over 10? maybe but only if the kid has some prior mecanno experience i reckon, its pretty fiddly. 

be interesting to see what the app does later 

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

On 08/04/2023 at 22:59, Liger1956 said:

Won't the exposed valve gear throw oil everwhere?

I had something similar, made by Revell I think, when I was young.

I had one that I built, it was all green plastic and a single cylinder, cut away I think with exposed rocker gear, a motor might have been an option but beyond my means so I had to hand crank it, it did not have anything to light up to show the power stroke.

I was already mad keen on cars but it really kick started my interest in mechanics, I was in first year of senior school so about 10 years old perhaps? We had to give a talk (as they were called back then) in the Science class, a presentation today, I did mine on the 4 stroke Otto cycle using the model kit to demonstrate.

At that age I could not only describe the 4 stroke cycle but also recount the firing orders for 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines not that I had even seen or heard the latter in the flesh.

Edited by J.R.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I had one that I built, it was all green plastic and a single cylinder, cut away I think with exposed rocker gear, a motor might have been an option

One of the Airfix stationary engine kits? If so, then yes a small electric motor was definitely an option.

I think it most probably was Airfix Ken, it would have been around 1970, maybe later, I could have been older, Airfix was the only manufacturer that the model shop sold, in fact I thought it was the only manufacturer.

I was probably encoraged to build model planes, I had done many of them but it was the engine kit that really changed my direction.

I hope when Spud Sr is of license age there will still be IC engines around for him to put his knowledge to.

• Like 1