Premium Petrol for a Fabia 1.2tsi (2016)

Hi all,

Last year I had issues with my 1.2tsi Fabia misfiring occasionally. 

The dealership changed a fuel filter and said the car requires E5 premium Petrol.

Seems a bit extravagant putting expensive petrol in a 1.2 Fabia?

Anybody had a similar issue?

Car: 2016 Skoda Fabia estate Monte Carlo 1.2 tsi 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/500110-petrol-octane

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/394149-super-unleaded

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/469546-10-tsi-premium-fuel

Welcome.

How many miles has your car done & has it had new spark plugs fitted, and the Air Filter checked or replaced?

Did they check them before changing the fuel filter? 

***How much did they charge you to change the Fuel Filter?*** 

New spark plugs were due in your car @ 4 years / 40,000 miles by Skoda / VW recommendations, but at least cheacked, 

and the air filter should be checked at every service even if the schedule shown for replacing is at 6 years.

It might run better on Super Unleaded, many find they do, but it should not misfire on Unleaded 95 E10

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/need-help/need-help-faqs/fuel.html

The car requires Unleaded Petrol of a min 95 ron, which in the UK since September 2021 is E10.

It might not have been running right but it should on E10 and they should be named, or where they work should be. 

Super Unleaded E5 in the UK is 97 or 99 ron. 

It is not Premium Petrol but you get Premium Diesel.  It is higher octane petrol.

It need not cost more, Sainsbury Super Unleaded 97 min or Tesco Momentum 99 (99 min) might cost no more than BP, ESSO, Shell etc E10. 

340214144_1384336435_Screenshot2022-01-3014_03_59.jpg.d43b66a38bf086423e31cbd1b02722b8(1).jpg.dce3a2706e11f7c315d6b050e3a54835.jpg

1179912860_922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736(1).jpg.606196879c2532f67305f1ec411800c6.jpg.7c80d385c3d2db00e56748a683c99613.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

On 25/04/2023 at 03:14, CameronD1997 said:

Hi all,

Last year I had issues with my 1.2tsi Fabia misfiring occasionally. 

The dealership changed a fuel filter and said the car requires E5 premium Petrol.

Seems a bit extravagant putting expensive petrol in a 1.2 Fabia?

Anybody had a similar issue?

Car: 2016 Skoda Fabia estate Monte Carlo 1.2 tsi 

Did the misfire go away after the fuel filter change?

As @toot says there are items that should be changed at various appropriate service intervals to ensure proper fuel combustion.

The 1.2tsi is not a particularly high performance engine and is designed to run on UK/Euro standard 95 Octane fuel so the dealer's comments that it requires E5 are basically BS.

Having said that if E10 fuel storage has been compromised, to the extent that the (hygroscopic) Ethanol has been allowed to absorb water vapour, either by the suppliers or if your vehicle has not been driven for a long time/filler cap seal is compromised, then the  engine could be a bit lumpy until the fuel in the tank is refreshed.

I've heard of rare fuel (petrol and diesel) compromises in Australia (well those resulting in catastrophic consequences) but cannot recall any similar reports on Briskoda.

By all means compare the two fuel grades but I have never been able to notice any noticeable difference in performance or economy in my 1.4tsi when I have experimented.

What sort of mileage has the car done and what servicing schedule has been adopted? VAG cars in Australia are a mandatory 15k km or yearly

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

@GerrycanI flagged this thread for the mods to move to the Fabia Mk3 section but it was left here.

I watched to see if the OP logged back in to maybe see the reply.

Sad really that people join, ask something and then do not reply even to say thanks but no thanks.  Maybe they have a reason or circumstances.

It would be nice to get a response from @CameronD1997to know how they got on and if the plugs had been changed.

PS

UK Petrol & Diesel are different Late Oct/Nov till the end March.  Winter Spec.

The Petrol to be less Hygroscopic & the Diesel with Anti Wax additive.

Same Octane or it can be higher than Min with the E5 or E10, and the Diesel Cetane does not increase with Winter Spec

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

Hi  both@toot @Gerrycan,

Thanks for your help with this.

Sorry for the delay, the email notifications had landed in my Junk.

I've just put in E10 fuel in at Esso instead of the more expensive E5 I normally go for.

It was a private dealership that I got the car from and they didn't charge me for the new Lambda sensor.

I'm not fully certain on the history of the plugs @tootbut I'll look into this.

I think it was confusing me as it said 'Super  Premium' in the fuel cap, attached.

I'll let you both know if there are any further issues.

Thanks again.

PXL_20230503_171652407.jpg

• Like 1

Super is Standard then. 😒

Standard grade (95 octane) petrol became E10 in Great Britain in September 2021 and in Northern Ireland in November 2022.

So 95 RON in the UK is standard petrol.

Thanks. AG Falco

'Super'  is VW Group and other non UK manufacturers using a term that here is just wrong.

95 Unleaded in the UK or Super Unleaded 97 or 99 ron (Minimum).  No 98 ron retailed for over a decade in the UK. 

http://volkswagen.co.uk/en/need-help/need-help-faqs/fuel.html

Green VW Sirocco R.

Red Skoda Fabia Mk2 vRS.   Min Octane 95 ron. 

Bottom Black one will not be on any modern car in the EU or UK,  that is for other world regions.

2012-Volkswagen-Scirocco-R-fuel-flap.jpg.ed674ee8e8f5cf5d3e3fb39ba7f9b919.jpg.de1fc5c1fe2a3be37b0b327d82018ab5.jpg.825d58af8d1ed7666d09e3d93da29b3f.jpg

TyrePressures_label.jpg.52937a330e6095b56c74a0d5d3eb9de0.jpg.97ab56de8f14c04dcdd504d7290e3544.jpg.6879a2bdfe7645ba8926629e28e885d2.jpg

eng_pl_FUEL-FILLER-FLAP-SKODA-OCTAVIA-III-5E0809702-LA7W-13188_3.jpg.96f7d23f2d89d8e5e6d9bc46d57c5b2a.jpg.ec15c61104bb72516655744d332f6abf.jpg.7e39d9c559066d008b3e2262d36b149f.jpg

209-1-800.jpg.edb2eefb1cbeb057de97a1712ea11c36.jpg.f0567286d007cc109863053e3fbb03e5.jpg

Edited by toot

@CameronD1997 your fuel flap has 95 min. not max.

Depending where you are in the country, unless things have changed since I updated the list 13/9/21 (I've not checked since) Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99 although labelled E5 is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland).

Esso 95 (E10) is up to 10% ethanol.

One of the reasons to go for the higher octane petrols is that they contain more cleaning additive in their additive packages, than the standard 95 fuels, which may help combined with blow-out runs but it may take up to a couple of tankfulls to do well.

My wife has just put a couple of tankfuls of Tesco Momentum99 in her Fabia and she's very careful about fuel prices but the VW engine is a noisy thing and the computers give so many different engine bay sounds at different times even she's willing to give the higher octane and greater cleaning packages a try, unfortunately I've been unable to give it the blowout runs at this time.

More effective is to have the spark plugs in good condition which often boils down to changing them before they go off too much, and to have the engine air filter in good condition, you don't want muck in, muck through and muck out, eventually the car won't like it.

I suggest using a couple of tankfulls of the higher octane fuels spread over before, during and after a service and/or MoT and when and if you feel like at other times.

The 13/9/21 list, feel free to check with the fuel companies and update as required, be great if you'd let me know any changes. - petrol.pdf

Stuff the extra detergent package (sodium), sales BS,  it is the higher octane you want.

The up to 5% Bio (ethanol) or 0% bio is about the distribution & storage in the UK & areas of the UK.   Ethanol is quite Hygroscopic. 

You have your long life oil already with cleaning agents. 

If you have some old engine that has been running any old stuff you maybe want this 'Magic' stuff Royal Dutch Shell have added that their Import Partners Greenergy (Part owned by Tesco) have not got in Tesco Momentum 99 they produce, or ESSO E5 or maybe Costco's or other independents E5 they distribute.

http://greenergy.com/our-history

http://greenergy.com/independent-retailers

http://greenergy.com

http://greenergy.com/uk

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/512974-vrs-fuel-type

Edited by toot

2 hours ago, toot said:

Stuff the extra detergent package (sodium), sales BS,  it is the higher octane you want.

Blimey, did you get out the wrong side of the bed and hit your head and stub your toe. 😄

2 hours ago, toot said:

You have your long life oil already with cleaning agents. 

Yes and the outside of the car might get washed and polished too.  These TSI, FSI, TSFI, wotever engines need all the help you can give them, sound badger's-arse rough at the best of times, mind I remember the m-i-l's Golf Mk2 1.6 petrol sounded rough and I was used to BLs. 🤣

2 hours ago, toot said:

If you have some old engine that has been running any old stuff you maybe want this 'Magic' stuff Royal Dutch Shell have added that their Import Partners Greenergy (Part owned by Tesco) have not got in Tesco Momentum 99 they produce, or ESSO E5 or maybe Costco's or other independents E5 they distribute.

You lost me there, are you now favouring Shell V-Power over the the others for cleaning properties?

And I agree with the OP I think calling 95 something like Regular makes more sense.

Edited by nta16
  • Haha 1

@nta16No up early and taking Guide Dogs for the stupid out training.

The detergent stuff is the same guff going on for years, better formulations, cleaner, better anti foaming, yet different formulations for different world regions even different European Countries.

The stuff Royal Dutch Shell formulated a few decades back killed a few engines around the UK including police cars in Fife. 

Shell-VPower be it as it was Nitro+ or just Nitro or what ever is just extra cost for nothing extra special.

As for Pump fuel in F1 cars and those ads.  You get 100+ (102 ron even) Shell V-Power at pumps near the Factories and tracks in Italy. ie *Normal Shell Filling Station.*

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/421463-where-do-you-fill-up-supermarket-fuel-vs-brand-name-premium/page/3

The Octane you want consistently and not all the extra stuff. As used in race series and track days and just when you have the vehicle that performs well with it.

http://vitalequipment.co.uk/collections/carless-hiperflo

Royal Dutch Shell, premium fuels and regular fuels at premium prices for premium profits.  

So much extra for the same special additive packages as the others add, but do not spend the same millions on advertising and sponsorship.

UK Fuels. from UK filling stations pumps and do they make any different in a 1.0 or 1.2 TSI standard or remapped? 

well try and see. At least know what you are buying & paying for though. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

Remember the petrol but not the adverts.

I think I remember it was said to ruin the old loose new Vauxhall and the like engines.  Did any good engines (you know, like the Japanese ones) have proven problems I can't remember.  I discount Police cars as  I'm surprised any Police car holds together especially the ones with the Traffic cops.  The only drivers that make me a bit nervous as a passenger are Police motorbike riders driving a car, I've been out with two, the second I didn't even know he was Police but when I asked him if he was a Police motorbike rider by any chance he said yes and how did I know.  🤣

At least some of the ex-Police BMWs won't be going to market this year after they've finish service, too embarrassing for BMW, wouldn't want the impression of German engineering quality dented, private BMW owners have always usually keep quiet about problems out of marque loyalty and to keep up the resale value of their vehicle.

Years ago a near neighbour was telling my about the engine problems on his 5-year old 5-Series and how glad he was that he was able to get shot of it and how he'd picked up a 10 year-old Lexus 400 as an interim vehicle but it was so good and absolutely everything worked on it so well that he was going to keep it.

I remember the Lexus 400 first coming over and the Lexus UK Dealerships opening and setting new standard for dealing with their  customers but that's another story and all changed now.

My milage is quite modest nowadays so I use e5 but on a run I do get an extra few miles ( 3-5) per gallon.

My Fabia estate (Kombi Monte Carlo) loved the higher octane rate and we travelled loaded to the gunnals

with camping equipment. The Times disagrees on the extra milage.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/money-mentor/answer/is-e5-petrol-more-economical-than-e10/

Edited by gumdrop
  • Like 1

I definitely get 3-5mpg more and smoother engine running with E5 (Esso, Shell, BP) on a 1.0 Stage 1 remapped Fabia MKIII estate. I probably fuel it 66% of the time with E5 if I can. Not sure if it has real-world performance effect on such a banger but I haven't put it on a dyno with E5/E10 to compare.

• Like 1

Bear in mind Esso labelled E5 might be E0.

Now we have E10 the differences are in the amount of E and the difference in the octane so there could be more variation with a variety of cars and variety of states of tune.

There is no way my wife can say if the Tesco E5 99 gives more to the gallon as whilst most of her (very short) journeys are the same her journeys overall aren't regimented and can happen in different circumstances, she won't drive up the M6 for a 100 miles at 50mph as I once did to test mpg about 10-14 years ago (would that still be possible now?).  And there are far too much electronics and computer interference on her standard Fabia  to tell if it feels any better, though she thinks it might be going better that's probably placebo, sounds as rough as always to me.

Like a lot of things in the end it probably boils down to belief over any facts or figures presented from either directions or sources.

Edited by nta16
spelling
  • Like 1

@nta16BL cars were affected and had engine failures with the Shell Formula petrol.  so Metros which were used as Police cars and people might of had from Motability. 

There were others. 

PS

Bare in mind ESSO from different parts of the UK and the up to 5% Bio or no Bio,  as E10 might not have the 10% bio.

Remember that the Sainbury Super Unleaded might have up to 5% bio and maybe 0% bio, and when 97 ron (minimum) it can be 99 ron (minimum) 

OT, 

but me filling up with £97 of Gulf Super Diesel last week instead or Regular Diesel, then again the next day has been worth the extra 11 pence a litre (50 pence a gallon)  my van no longer has black smoke reeking out of it stinking when starting and idling. 

Maybe there is an improved economy as it is running smooth and i will see on Saturday when i brim it.

I have run it on Regular Diesel for 4 years.  17 years old and 118,000 miles and i just never bothered trying Super / Premium diesel in it before my error. 

(I usually run Asda , Morrisons or Tesco Diesel or where ever is cheap even in BMW's or other sportier diesels and never been aware of any real benefits  running premium, this is the first time i have and with an older engine.)

Edited by toot
  • Thanks 1

@tootyou won't like it but when I put Shell V-Power (wotever) diesel in my wife's GM product somewhere between 8 and 16 years ago

there was a definite visible difference, from thick black sh1te cloud to thinner grey/silver cloud.  I have no evidence other than that of my own eyes and I've no idea if the new 'improved' Shell V-Power diesel of current time is as good.

• 1 month later...

Whether you believe me or not is up to you but I am absolutely certain that the MPG of my 1.2 dropped off noticeably when the E10 arrived and it did not seem to be such a happy bunny after a while (accelerating up hill, etc.) After reading a number of complaints in various publications I decided to go back to what Tesco calls E5 about a month ago I know the fuel is about 5% more expensive but am now convinced that I get around 8% better MPG with it and the engine itself seems altogether happier. Part of the problem is the nutters who are convinced that we need to do this kind of thing to halt climate change and they are not always right. E.g. getting folk to part with large chunks of hard earned cash to buy heat pumps which are known not to be much cop when it gets really cold.

Edited by Eccles

Tesco momentum 99 E5 is not about 5% more expensive. It is less than that.  It is maybe 6 pence a litre more expensive than Tesco Unleaded 95 Ron E10.   If counting pence might as well get them accurate.     Super unleaded in the UK is E5 and 97 or 99 octane but only has to have up to 5% bio.  It might have none.   E10 can have up to 10 bio, but might well not.  

Edited by toot

14 hours ago, Eccles said:

I decided to go back to what Tesco calls E5 about a month ago   .   .   .   and the engine itself seems altogether happier.

My wife tried another few tankfuls of Tesco (Momentum 99, up to 5%) E5 without me knowing and when I drove the car and said I thought it felt smoother she said so did she and that it was running on Tesco E5.  Obviously for the sceptics it'd be placebo.  I've no idea about mpg as when a car feels better I tend to drive it a little more spiritedly, but who knows with the VW engine and all its controlling computers as it makes so many different noises and vibrations every time it's used the improvement in the way it feels might just be the computer gods in a rare good mood.