Replacing wheels

A while back we bought a Skoda Fabia MkIII Estate (110hp). It has low profile tyres and pretty alloys which may look OK but are rather impractical with the scary potholes in our area. Tyres fitted are 215/45/R16 86H (4 different brands!)

We'll probably need to change the tyres before winter returns and I'm considering getting some 15inch steel wheels and fitting 185/60 R15 88H tyres rather than just new tyres on the current alloys - it'd probably work out at a similar price. We'll keep the alloys and probably refit them when we eventually sell the car.

Are there reasons not to do this? Will the shocks/springs be OK with this? Does the tracking need to be adjusted to take the narrower tyre into account? Any other gotchas when selecting the steels such as rim offset? Any immediate 'I wouldn't do that if I were you's?

This is probably a more general question than a Fab MkIII specific one but that's the machine I'm playing with at the moment.

Any help, advice or pointers will be gratefully received.

My wife's 90hp hatch has 15" alloys and 185/60 R15 88H not running at the higher eco tyre pressure and I'd sooner have 14" (steel) wheels with more tyre sidewall rubber but most would consider 15" fine (if not "filling the wheel arch").

If you buy the correct 15" wheels and they fit I should think the shocks and springs would thank you and there'd be no more than standard fitting and checks for the tyres.

One note most don't like - depends on your insurance (or provider) but changing wheels from factory fitted can be seen as a "modification" even if going to a more sensible size, others don't care but might want to know.

Changing from four odd tyres to a matching set of four smaller new tyres (depending on quality) may well improve braking, steering, suspension, road holding, handling and ride comfort and noise.

@Carlstonmay well soon be along with fuller details.

Four odd tyres, you did check the/any previous servicing had actually been done on the car?

• Thanks 1

Four odd tyres, you did check the/any previous servicing had actually been done on the car?

Yes, it was actually 'Skoda Approved' with full Skoda service history.

When you mention the 'correct' 15" wheels' do you mean the 15" alloys that are factory fitted if the car is not specc'd with the 16" option? Or the steel wheels that you can buy from Skoda dealers as spare wheels? (I bought one some time back because our old Greenline only had a goo bottle and pump instead of a spare wheel).

Yes, I'm aware of the 'modified' question for insurance. My wife's current insurer only refers to fitting wheels that are not available as manufacturer options.

Many thanks for the reply and your thoughts on this.

• Thanks 1

Nothing needs adjusted if you fit 15" wheels with the correct offset and tyres of the correct size and those could be the ones Skoda show as suitable for your car if fitting Snow Chains. Even if not fitting snow chains or going to a country where they need carried and fitted when required.

Just let you insurance company know you have fitted wheels that were not as it left the factory with. 

PS

Suitable wheels and tyres are often advertised in BRISKODA For Sales section & might well be offered before this winter. 

PPS

There are ones for a Mk2 Fabia advertised just now and they just need a tidy up of the wheels and maybe wheel trims fitted.

Much Cheapness.

Edited by toot

21 hours ago, T****y said:

Yes, it was actually 'Skoda Approved' with full Skoda service history.

Say's it all doesn't it 'Skoda Approved' 😄 should certainly have you checking what (little) a full Skoda service history might be, many owners think an annual, or less often, change of engine oil and filter is a full service when it's not even a full engine service let alone a full whole car service and a lot can happen to a car in 3-4 years.

22 hours ago, T****y said:

When you mention the 'correct' 15" wheels'

To me they'd be steel wheels that go over the brakes, correct offset/inset, (stupid) wheel bolt holes in the right place and amount.  Alloy wheels are just a fashion thing, same as the oversized larger and wider wheels and skinnier and wider tyres than the car actually needs.

You'd have to get a copy of the relevant 2019 brochure to see what wheel options where offered on the car and then find out if your wife's insurer is ambiguous about what they mean by manufacturer options - to specific trim level only(?) (S, SE, SEL).  As an example only, with my wife's 'SE' the lowest rent wheel was a 15" alloy (with options up to 17", for those that like that sort of thing) but the 'S' started at 15" steel wheels with option of two 15" alloy wheels.  As we're old we don't have to be confined to restrictive insurance policies but I realise some others have to, or chose to.

Personally I'd prefer my wife's Fabia had 14" steel wheels.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, nta16 said:

To me they'd be steel wheels that go over the brakes, correct offset/inset, (stupid) wheel bolt holes in the right place and amount. 

That's what I thought. Many thanks. Next stop: to see what the insurers have to say. At a guess, 'more money' 🤔

• Thanks 1

@T****ySurely not more money for them to load your policy or to charge for a declared change.

Making a car less desirable to thieves is not increasing the risk of theft.  Fitting Winter or All weather / all season Tyres / Wheels in the UK is now accepted as for the safety of the driver, occupants and others.

It is just that nobody defined when that applies in the UK as dates, seasons, and many have their optional set on all year.

Correct load / speed rating and sizes for the vehicle. 

1 hour ago, T****y said:

Next stop: to see what the insurers have to say. At a guess, 'more money' 🤔

Depending on the insurance provider and policy they might say "computer says No", four odd tyres fine, put on some well oversized 19" alloys with over wide rubber band tyres fine just pay a little extra.

Luckily my wife and I are old so get lower premiums so don't have to accept restrictive insurance policies but I know some may have to or want to to pay a lower premium.

Good luck let us know how you get on with wheels and insurance.

4 hours ago, T****y said:

That's what I thought. Many thanks. Next stop: to see what the insurers have to say. At a guess, 'more money' 🤔

185/60R15 fitted to a 6Jx15 ET38 5/100 57.1 steel rim is a standard winter tyre and rim combination on the Fabia MK3, and allows for the fitment of snow chains.

As all-season tyres have the 3PMSF symbol, they are winter rated. So if you use these, you are fitting "winter tyres" in one of the approved Skoda winter tyre sizes, which is shown in the owner's manual.

So no matter how cautious you are regarding insurance and modifications, this isn't a modification.

If you phone your insurance company, you may speak to someone who doesn't understand tyres and rims.

Therefore, you put yourself at risk of being fleeced for "modifying" your car even though you haven't modified your car.

Considering that the UK courts are the ultimate judge of what is and isn't a significant modification, ie. something that affects the risk, I would rely on what it says in the owner's manual and in other technical documentation from Skoda, such as the CoC (Certificate of Conformity), rather than an office clerk at the insurance company who may not understand tyres and rims.

Additionally, to be of any relevance, a modification needs to be "significant" otherwise insurance claims could be turned down for any minor reason the insurance company pulls out of the hat.

There are two types of Alcar 6Jx15 ET38 5/100 57.1 steel rims that you might want to consider. The Alcar 7760 and the Alcar 8380.

The Alcar 8380 looks a little more attractive without wheel trims. However, it probably best to consider what wheel trims you want to fit before making a final decision.

Alcar 7760 6Jx15 ET38 5/100 57.1 steel rim (from Fabia MK3, Polo MK5, etc.)

Alcar KFZ 7760

https://www.oponeo.pl/felga-stalowa/alcar-kfz-7760#23136235

Alcar 8380 6Jx15 ET38 5/100 57.1 steel rim (from Octavia MK1, Golf MK4, etc.)

Alcar KFZ 8380

https://www.oponeo.pl/felga-stalowa/alcar-kfz-8380#22776394

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rims/details?vehicleId=56596261528327268&rimCode=ALCAR8380

Vredestein Quatrac 6 185/60R15 88H XL (Euro label C B 70dB) (all-season tyre with the 3PMSF symbol)

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m138b0s7989p202141/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac_6_-_185_60_R15_88H_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_70dB

A 6Jx15 ET29 5/100 57.1 steel rim (from the Audi A1) is a possible non-standard alternative to the standard 6Jx16 ET38 5/100 57.1 steel rim. An ET29 offset, moves the centre of the tyre 9mm further out in the wheelarch compare to an ET38 offset. Another alternative offset, is ET35 (from the Skoda Scala).

Alcar 7415 6Jx15 ET29 5/100 57.1 steel rim (from Audi A1)

ALCAR 7415

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rims/details?vehicleId=46711651994440804&rimCode=ALCAR7415

6Jx15 ET35 5/100 57.1 steel rim (from Skoda Scala)

VW W21-19547013091

https://www.oponeo.pl/felga-stalowa/vw-w21-19547013091#20860106

The below, is a possible 16" non-standard alternative to the standard 215/45R16 fitted to a 7Jx16 ET46 rim.

Vredestein Quatrac 6 195/50R16 88V XL (Euro label C B 70dB)

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m139b0s8824p202112/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac_6_-_195_50_R16_88V_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_70dB

Alcar 6664 6Jx16 ET35 5/100 57.1 steel rim (from Skoda Scala) 

ALCAR 6977

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheel/vw-w6664#23055916

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rims/details?vehicleId=1087670437300683876&rimCode=ALCAR6664

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carlston said:

The Alcar 8380 looks a little more attractive without wheel trims. However, it probably best to consider what wheel trims you want to fit before making a final decision.

Very many thanks for this Carlston. I'm definitely not going to fit 16 inch (or larger) wheels - it's what SWMBO's car has got. If 185/60R15 fitted to a 6Jx15 ET38 5/100 57.1 steel rim is 'standard' then that's what we'll go for. However, I was thinking of not fitting wheel trims...  any comments on that last point anyone?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T****y said:

Very many thanks for this Carlston. I'm definitely not going to fit 16 inch (or larger) wheels - it's what SWMBO's car has got. If 185/60R15 fitted to a 6Jx15 ET38 5/100 57.1 steel rim is 'standard' then that's what we'll go for. However, I was thinking of not fitting wheel trims...  any comments on that last point anyone?

Steel rims can start to look rusty after a couple of winters.

Tyre fitters tend to use wheel weights that scrap the paint off, leaving bare metal to rust.

The Fabia MK4 uses a 5.5Jx15 ET40 5/100 57.1 rim with a 185/65R15 tyre size, but you could use this rim on the Fabia MK3 with a 185/60R15 tyre size.

As you can see in the ETRTO chart below, a 5.5J rim is a normal rim width for a 185/60R15 tyre size.

ETRTO approved rim widths

185/60R15 5.0-5.5-6.5

Alcar 4055 5.5Jx15 ET40 5/100 57.1 steel rim (from Fabia MK4)

ALCAR 4055

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rims/details?vehicleId=1339564153178109028&rimCode=ALCAR4055

Edited by Carlston

I bought a set of 5 steel wheels fitted with winter tyres for my wife's 2002 VW Polo, the Polo at that time and maybe still, used small holes holes around the rim to secure the wheel trims, but I chose to fit a set of maybe older VW Golf wheel trims and they use the inside of the rim to grip onto, doing that worked out very well, maybe had to snip off some stand-offs from the VW Golf wheel trims, that is easy to do even using wire cutters.

As said already, the black paint on typical steel wheels lasts no time and the wheels begin to look nasty quickly, so buying a set of used wheel trims worked for me, plus it is a lot easier to clean the wheel trims in winter to keep the car presentable.

The other aspect of using wheel trims from an older and different car means that they are cheaper and more more available from the likes of ebay - so in your situation, I'd guess that you could find some wheel trims from an older Octavia that look okay.

Edit:- with her next car, a 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS, I bought a set of 4 used 15" VW Polo alloys from ebay Germany, almost as good as new, without tyres, and put Michelin Alpins on them - for winter only use, or maybe 6 months of the year.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carlston said:

Steel rims can start to look rusty after a couple of winters.

1 hour ago, rum4mo said:

...the black paint on typical steel wheels lasts no time and the wheels begin to look nasty quickly,...

This is all excellent stuff. Many thanks people.

OK, I'll assume we'll want to fit trims soon/eventually.

19 hours ago, T****y said:

However, I was thinking of not fitting wheel trims...  any comments on that last point anyone?

I'd not either, they're just bling to me and to me don't look good when secured with a cable-tie even if it is colour coded.

Are black wheels still gansta, I've no idea of fashion or what der yuf, anyone under 45, think looks good.  Black is nice and easy to slap a bit of paint on if required to stop and rust from chips or dents.

You could paint the wheels before putting them on the car to make them more durable, obviously you don't want to trap any existing rust under the paint.  I've never painted any wheels and can't remember what Smoothrite is like but the old Hammerite was the type of stuff that seemed susceptible to chipping.  I'd just throw on some of that chip resistant stuff like they use on the car sills.

Now, what colour tyres are you going for .  .  .   I'll get me coat.

Edited by nta16
spelling

54 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Now, what colur tyres are you going for .  .  .   I'll get me coat.

Shirley I have to decide on the shape first? Round seems quite fashionable these days. 😀

• Haha 1