Heated Front Screen

survey

I never used the heated screen on my Octavia, so not too bothered that the Karoq did not have it. Plus point was the screen seemed better to see through, without all the “wire netting” in the screen.

Hi folks

I registered on Briskoda ages ago when considering a Kamiq but ended up going down a different route. However, I am about to change vehicle again and am in the process of acquiring a 2022 Karoq SEL

It came out of the factory with heated front seats, steering wheel and wing mirrors.   My wife and I wanted a heated screen as our other vehicle already has that and it is great.  

Having read the earlier posts in this thread I know that heated front windscreens can be added on the production line as part of the Winter Pack PLUS and that would also have added heated outer rear seats.

But get this .....

The Dealer we are buying the Karoq from has told me that heated front screens can be retro fitted.  It's apparently done by a firm close to one of their other branches so they tell me.  It's not cheap and certainly more than the cost of the Winter Pack Plus option when configuring from new.  Don't judge but we have agreed to pay it.  ☺️   It is such a great feature so thought sod it. 

Anyway.  It is a task that apparently requires three 'people' to install it and that probably influences the cost of getting one in this way.   

One to fit the screen

One to wire it up.  (I assume to the central console where the On/Off button goes and the fuse board.)  

One to program the Infotainment system as it can be turned on via the screen.

Not naming the Dealer as this is apparently as much a voyage of discovery for them as me as they have not actually had it done on another vehicle yet.  #guineapig    

If it actually happens it'll be done this week and I'll collect it next week

I'll edit the post as appropriate but thought some of you may be interested

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2023 at 17:39, Viffer800 said:

Hi folks

I registered on Briskoda ages ago when considering a Kamiq but ended up going down a different route. However, I am about to change vehicle again and am in the process of acquiring a 2022 Karoq SEL

It came out of the factory with heated front seats, steering wheel and wing mirrors.   My wife and I wanted a heated screen as our other vehicle already has that and it is great.  

Having read the earlier posts in this thread I know that heated front windscreens can be added on the production line as part of the Winter Pack PLUS and that would also have added heated outer rear seats.

But get this .....

The Dealer we are buying the Karoq from has told me that heated front screens can be retro fitted.  It's apparently done by a firm close to one of their other branches so they tell me.  It's not cheap and certainly more than the cost of the Winter Pack Plus option when configuring from new.  Don't judge but we have agreed to pay it.  ☺️   It is such a great feature so thought sod it. 

Anyway.  It is a task that apparently requires three 'people' to install it and that probably influences the cost of getting one in this way.   

One to fit the screen

One to wire it up.  (I assume to the central console where the On/Off button goes and the fuse board.)  

One to program the Infotainment system as it can be turned on via the screen.

Not naming the Dealer as this is apparently as much a voyage of discovery for them as me as they have not actually had it done on another vehicle yet.  #guineapig    

If it actually happens it'll be done this week and I'll collect it next week

I'll edit the post as appropriate but thought some of you may be interested

Cheers

Update on 👆

Collected the car today avec heated screen

There is no dedicated button on the central console as there would have been if fitted on the production line.  You press the Menu button and one to toggle the heated screen on/off appears on the Infotainment screen.

So, if anyone wishes they had included it as part of the Winter Pack Plus if buying new or had bought a used vehicle with it you can do it retrospectively.

One thing to bear in mind should you ever go down this route.  If you need a damage repair don't simply quote the VIN or Reg No as you'll only get a replacement for the screen it left the factory with.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Viffer800 said:

Update on 👆

There is no dedicated button on the central console as there would have been if fitted on the production line.  You press the Menu button and one to toggle the heated screen on/off appears on the Infotainment screen.

So, if anyone wishes they had included it as part of the Winter Pack Plus if buying new or had bought a used vehicle with it you can do it retrospectively.

One thing to bear in mind should you ever go down this route.  If you need a damage repair don't simply quote the VIN or Reg No as you'll only get a replacement for the screen it left the factory with.

I'm not overly fussed at not having one, but would be interested to know how much ???

50 minutes ago, IanPerry316 said:

I'm not overly fussed at not having one, but would be interested to know how much ???

It is one of things you don't know you need (ok, really want) until you've had one.

All in, the screen and 3 lots of labour, it was just over £1,000.   Adding the Winter Pack Plus to the Configurator to get it fitted in the factory would be £425.  That also gets you heated rear seats but this something I would never anticipate using. 

I console myself with the fact that the £1,000 is a relatively small proportion of the depreciation I didn't have to endure as it was a used car.   Paid over £7,000 less than a new one with the features mine now has.  

Don't know if I'm justifying the cost to you but it is working for me 😁

Anyway .......

Have spent the couple of days since I picked it up familiarising myself with it.  Over the moon so far so a happy camper

Edited by Viffer800
Clarity
  • Like 2

I miss my other car for the heated front screen but as my car is  parked on my drive by the front door i bought a heater from B&M for £15 and an extension which i plug in the hall and the heater fits perfect on the front arm rest. Ten minute turn on while i have a cup of tea and i,me good to go .359683-blaupunkt-2kw-upright-fan-heater.thumb.jpg.5451c2d29942156677c8cf3b89fe87db.jpg

For many years in cars i use or that are used seldom in winter but maybe sitting during many days of frosts and condensation i have a Greenhouse heater set just about 3*oC.

That stops the glass icing inside or out.  Usually i have wind deflectors so the window is down a couple of mm.

Good if the car is damp inside after use, just turn up the setting a bit.

& damp traps.

DSCN4339.JPG.1597a7d34cbd994683a480bf945b374a.jpeg.f0f748bb61c39e3da4e3ba327c9be896.jpeg.a0a13ede7ce09fc1b981a09dc5d95bbc.jpeg

DSCN3534.JPG.45cb5698af6ed19b5ccc6f23f94bf14e.JPG.c33f910e343e4b10043f32c53ba706d2.JPG.6e5e5d10ca88b5bf5be30379afc2ca58.JPG.dcb106d6eead5536daa3f742985e5c19.jpeg

DSCN2443.JPG.94768b4a6a1110d290932694524a3b7b.jpeg.bebb2c277f3890cd70d2a2b77f6d424d.jpeg.6832a81932a251f8f226217aa6137ea2.jpeg

21 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

Did I read that correctly? A grand to have an aftermarket heated screen fitted?!?

You clearly did or you wouldn't have asked the question

It isn't just a physical screen as if it was Autoglass rocking up at your house to replace one.  It had to be supplied, fitted, wired (somebody else) and configured in the Infotainment screen (another somebody else).  

I also explained the bigger picture as to why in the grand (pun intended) scheme of things it could be argued relatively cheap.

You clearly would have baulked at it but we all have different views and priorities. 

• Like 4

On 22/12/2023 at 20:53, Viffer800 said:

Update on 👆

In my opinion all cars should be made to have them fitted as standard

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JEFF-the-Bowman said:

I've had my Karoq over 3 winters including this, and during that time I have only had to scrape my screen once, so it would have been a waste of money to me. The salesman tried to get me to have a heated steering wheel, but I wasn't paying over £300 for that, and I can put up with cold hands for 10 minutes. We do have heated seats, but these were standard. My wife uses hers thre or 4 times a year and I have only used mine a couple of times to try and to test. I wouldn't pay extra for those either.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JEFF-the-Bowman said:

Give it time...

The EU will doubtless make it compulsory before too long & manufacturers will probably find it too fiddly to not fit to UK bound vehicles (with appropriate adjustment to car's price).

Edited by IanPerry316

On 14/05/2023 at 21:03, BTandSid said:

Would be very surprised if every variant wasn’t wired to accommodate most add-ons, they simply don’t connect them if they’re not fitted. If a specific item is then ordered as an extra, it just has to be fitted, no need to get involved with messing with the wiring loom. 

Not at all, wiring looms are built for individual vehicles. There are no 'extra' plugs on any looms and if a new loom is required it is ordered against the VIN number to be exactly as required for that vehicle. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Routemaster1461 said:

I've had my Karoq over 3 winters including this, and during that time I have only had to scrape my screen once, so it would have been a waste of money to me. The salesman tried to get me to have a heated steering wheel, but I wasn't paying over £300 for that, and I can put up with cold hands for 10 minutes. We do have heated seats, but these were standard. My wife uses hers thre or 4 times a year and I have only used mine a couple of times to try and to test. I wouldn't pay extra for those either.

Where you live & drive will obviously have some bearing.

I (in Cornwall) haven't got a heated screen in the Karoq & didn't have one in my (11 yrs) Yeti. 

I don't find it a problem, but I did go for the pack which included the steering wheel heater - a bit of history in my family of circulation problems in older age.

Now in my second winter with the Karoq & I honestly feel the heated wheel has paid for itself.

Each to his own!

6 minutes ago, IanPerry316 said:

Where you live & drive will obviously have some bearing.

I (in Cornwall) haven't got a heated screen in the Karoq & didn't have one in my (11 yrs) Yeti. 

I don't find it a problem, but I did go for the pack which included the steering wheel heater - a bit of history in my family of circulation problems in older age.

Now in my second winter with the Karoq & I honestly feel the heated wheel has paid for itself.

Each to his own!

Absolutely agree with your last sentence. 👍

• Like 1

Doesn't anybody wear gloves these days if their hands feel cold?

I can recall the days when they sold things like "Car Coats", superfluous after 5 minutes of swinging the starting handle!

• Like 1

As previously mentioned  - each to their own 👍

This car was my first ever factory order,  so opted to spend the cash saved on paint (I went for free solid blue) on Winter Pack+.

Must admit we use the heated seats (front and rear) and steering wheel pretty much every day. 

The heated screen was excellent in the recent cold, so I can well understand the decision to retrofit 👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pinkpanther said:

As previously mentioned  - each to their own 👍

This car was my first ever factory order,  so opted to spend the cash saved on paint (I went for free solid blue) on Winter Pack+.

Must admit we use the heated seats (front and rear) and steering wheel pretty much every day. 

The heated screen was excellent in the recent cold, so I can well understand the decision to retrofit 👍

BIB

Indeed.  I used it for the first time today and it was great.  I had been sitting in the car doing something.  It wasn't freezing but cold enough outside for the screen to mist up quite badly inside from my breath.  Switched the screen on and within a few seconds it had gone.   

Regrets?  None whatsoever

Just collected new Karoq 1.5 TSi SEL today, it replaced a 1.0 TSi SE Karoq. Heated steering wheel great, ( I am in my seventies and have circulation problems,} heated windscreen brilliant. Instrument display AWFUL compared to my 69 reg Karoq.

• Like 1