DSG & autohold/handbrake

tgo

I'm shortly  going to get a new DSG car (always only owned manuals until now)

I understand at things like traffic lights you are just meant to press your foot on the brake once you've stopped which engages autohold at which point you can remove your foot and it will only move once you hit the throttle again.

Which sounds great vs on a manual, going into neutral, engaging handbrake.

Except...

I don't want to be one of 'those' who sits at stops with all 3 brake lights on like a noob. (also contravenes part of the highway code) dazzling everyone.

So I guess I either go to Neutral and engage handbrake (unclear if it will auto engage or if I need to put it on)

Or what would happen if I leave it in drive, engage autohold, and then put the handbrake on.

Would it stall the car, like on a manual if you left it in gear and put the handbrake on and released the clutch?

Would it disengage autohold, and switch to handbrake, but turn off the brake lights?

1 hour ago, tgo said:

I'm shortly  going to get a new DSG car (always only owned manuals until now)

I understand at things like traffic lights you are just meant to press your foot on the brake once you've stopped which engages autohold at which point you can remove your foot and it will only move once you hit the throttle again.

Which sounds great vs on a manual, going into neutral, engaging handbrake.

Except...

I don't want to be one of 'those' who sits at stops with all 3 brake lights on like a noob. (also contravenes part of the highway code) dazzling everyone.

So I guess I either go to Neutral and engage handbrake (unclear if it will auto engage or if I need to put it on)

Or what would happen if I leave it in drive, engage autohold, and then put the handbrake on.

Would it stall the car, like on a manual if you left it in gear and put the handbrake on and released the clutch?

Would it disengage autohold, and switch to handbrake, but turn off the brake lights?

Or just put in in park and autohold will come on with no brake lights.

The car will not Stall, but if Stop / Start in active it can turn off, and restart easy enough. 

If the weather is not horrible it will not be dazzling everyone, and the stop not long then those behind will probably prefer the brake lights on and the quick move off rather than the shifter coming from P to Reverse with the light flash to N then D. 

I'm not worried about start/stop I'll likely have that off, with the car in drive (after autohold has done its thing), will applying the handbrake kill the brake lights but still leave the DSG clutches disengaged ready to go when I hit the throttle?

Without doing the P > N > Rev > Drive thing

Edited by tgo

In a word Yes, then when the lights change to green simply accelerate away, the handbrake will release automatically and off you go.

When stopped at traffic lights I normally jut let the auto hold do its' thing and don't worry about the handbrake or the brake lights being on.

If I am stuck in traffic, for example queue on the motorway, then I will apply the handbrake.  I am stopped for a long period of time I move the shifter to "P".

If people are getting in/out of the car then I move the shifter to "P" as having the car lurch forwards when getting in/out is a great way for a passenger to get a broken arm/leg/shoulder, which is not great.

If you do put the shifter into "N" then the autohold will disengage and the car will start rolling if you have not applied the handbrake, don't worry the car will sound an alarm and flash up a message on the display to apply the footbrake.

I don't like putting the shifter into "P" when stopped at the traffic lights as I have been rear ended too many times in the past and know that if the shifter is in "P" and you get shunted then it is probably going to be a new gearbox, which on an older Karoq like mike could mean the car is written off by the insurance company.

DSG is a great choice, once you have got used to it, you will wonder how you ever managed to drive a manual 😀

Hope this helps?

• Like 1

Nope, just unfortunate enough to experience the perils of a poorly designed minor road with a Give Way leading onto a major road controlled by traffic lights.  The road layout has changed to be fully traffic light controlled and hopefully the person that struck me has learnt to not use their phone whilst driving!  Made a right mess of the back of my Yeti mind you.

Edited by klamath

1 minute ago, klamath said:

Nope, just unfortunate enough to experience the perils of a poorly designed minor road with a Give Way leading onto a major road controlled by traffic lights.  The road has layout has changed to be fully traffic light controlled and hopefully the person that struck me has learnt to not use their phone whilst driving!  Made a right mess of the back of my Yeti mind you.

You said rear ended too many times ... which made me think you're unlucky. 

Many years ago I had, arranged by work, an accompanied drive with an ex police Class 1 instructor.  

One thing he told me was that automatic cars had fewer "rear enders". Why? Because the brake lights were on.  

Make of that what you will.

tom

Many years ago the brake lights were only on if they were sitting with a foot on the brake pedal in an auto and not going to N and putting on the parking brake.    There are those police drivers that will sit held up in traffic that ignored the highway code. Then in more recent years sit in their XC90 Volvo or what ever in gridlock traffic like the Edinburgh bypass and Autohold has the brake lights on.  Common sense has drivers last in the queue with their brake light on.  Lots around without common sense though. 

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

On 17/05/2023 at 20:38, tgo said:

I'm not worried about start/stop I'll likely have that off, with the car in drive (after autohold has done its thing), will applying the handbrake kill the brake lights but still leave the DSG clutches disengaged ready to go when I hit the throttle?

Without doing the P > N > Rev > Drive thing

You’ve had the long reply .

The answer is still “Yes”.

I’m also a fan of pulling parking brake switch when stopped in a line of cars. I wait till a vehicle has pulled up behind me then I flick the switch. You feel a little movement as the rear axle sits down.

I do like the hill hold with DSG. As does my wife who has taken to driving my car occasionally, while her Polo has the old fashioned hand break. And Polo hill hold lasts for a millisecond it seems.

My current (manual) Peugeot 2008 GT has hill hold, it lasts about 2 seconds...  I wonder why they even bothered implementing it really.

• Confused 1

@tgoIt does a job does it not that suits many & if you done need it then no issue having it.

'Hill hold / Hill hold assist' does exactly what it needed to do.  

As to it with autos, 2 pedals used with one foot, If you were stopped on an up  slope  maybe at lights / pedestrian crossing with an automatic / dsg and never applied the parking brake / hand brake it allowed the move from brake pedal to accelerator without the car running back before moving forward.

'Autohold' came in after 'Hill hold / hill hold assist', and some Auto models or manuals still do not get 'Audohold' or e-Brakes.

In another thread, I was also recently promoting the use of the e-Brake rather than Autohold when stopped at say traffic lights as I thought it made for slightly smoother take off from stanstill.  However, after a couple of forgetful times after applying the e-Brake a bit too soon, when the car hadn't quite stopped at traffic lights, thus bringing the vehicle to a sudden and uncomfortable halt, I'm having 2nd thoughts.  Maybe there isn't much in it for smooth getaways, but I do wish the throttle pedal was a bit less fierce, so one didn't have to be so delicate with the right foot.  Still wondering about having the throttle accordingly remapped.  I am still trying to use the e-Brake once there are cars directly behind me, but I must admit that there is less to think about and fewer operations to perform if one just leaves the car Autohold switched on all the time in a car with DSG.

2 hours ago, croquemonsieur said:

"....but I do wish the throttle pedal was a bit less fierce, so one didn't have to be so delicate with the right foot.  Still wondering about having the throttle accordingly remapped."

Eco mode softens the throttle response. 

tom

Interesting Tom.  My car is a lowly SE Technology DSG, so doesn't have Eco mode facility, although in some ways the Normal Drive mode seems fairly Eco in it's behaviour - e.g. tries to stay in as high a gear for as long as possible.  But maybe that softer response you describe in Eco mode means that remapping the throttle response, via say OBDEleven, wouldn't necessarily upset the way the factory throttle response interacts with DSG settings in my car.  Anyway, presumably the default throttle settings could be rest via OBDEleven, if things didn't work out.

Going by the new car configurator the 1.0l only comes as manual, I don't know though, if that's always been the case.

• Haha 1