“Hiccup” starting from rest - 2015 1.2tsi engine.

My Fabia mk3 2015 with 1.2tsi petrol engine has what I can only describe as a hiccup when starting off from stationary.. Cold engine/hot engine does not matter, the hiccup is always there. No problems once got going, not at any speed range.

This hiccup will cause the engine to stall unless I catch it. By hiccup I mean it feels as if the engine is missing a beat. I can overcome it by giving the car a blip causing more revs then I think is needed, but if a “new” experienced driver jumped in they would probably stall it frequently.

For petrol, I regularly use Costco fuel, normally E5, but it’s the same problem when using E10, which I have done last couple months to see if there is a deference. No difference, the car still hiccups. 
ANY IDEAS please.

A VW suitable scan tool could look for any error codes and look at live data to help with diagnosis.

If you don't have access to one you could possibly find someone on the following list that might be able to help you. - Briskoda VCDS Owners Map (click me)

This is not to neglect the basics toot has pointed out.

• Thanks 1

Thank you toot and nta16 for a speedy reply.
The car is actually booked in for a service on June 5th, it is getting new plugs, engine air filter, engine filter and oil so I feeling hopeful from what you both said.

I looked at the Briskoda VCDS Owners Map and there are 2 person within 14 minutes drive, one to the left and one to the right.

I bought the car just 5 months ago and I am sure the problem wasn’t present then so I am hoping the service sorts.

• Thanks 1

@LetsGowas there any service history with the car showing stuff actually done other than Oil & Inspection Services?

The car is due a Cam Belt change.

Many will not consider doing it at 5 years, but at 8 years it certainly is worth discussing getting done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the heads up, toot. I know there seems to be some debate about the cam belt change, I had 100k miles in my mind. What the heck, I will get it sorted. I’m 76 now so I don’t think I will be around when it’s next due. 😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LetsGo said:

Thanks for the heads up, toot. I know there seems to be some debate about the cam belt change, I had 100k miles in my mind. What the heck, I will get it sorted. I’m 76 now so I don’t think I will be around when it’s next due. 😃

Pretty likely that new plugs will sort the problem - agree on considering replacing cam belt.

• Thanks 1

AGFalco - not really like that.  My hiccup is cold or hot and every time I start off from rest. If I in start stop traffic, every time I start to move it will hiccup. To beat it I have to blip the throttle this increasing revs more than I normally need. 

Try starting to move the car withOUT using any throttle.

Note that the car will automatically raise the engine revs when you start to bring the clutch up.

This takes good clutch control.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 1

On 26/05/2023 at 20:30, AGFalco said:

Try starting to move the car withOUT using any throttle.

Note that the car will automatically raise the engine revs when you start to bring the clutch up.

This takes good clutch control.

Thanks. AG Falco

Yes I can do that no problem, handy when in a long line of traffic  ie holiday traffic hold ups. It’s a bit slow for regular stop starts.

Its now only 8 days to its service, see what that brings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LetsGo said:

Yes I can do that no problem, handy when in a long line of traffic  ie holiday traffic hold ups. It’s a bit slow for regular stop starts.

3 hours ago, LetsGo said:

Hi, when you do as AG suggests, does the throttle hiccup occur  or is the throttle response smooth?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

Hi, when you do as AG suggests, does the throttle hiccup occur  or is the throttle response smooth?

When I do as suggested the take up is smooth.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2023 at 20:30, AGFalco said:

7 hours ago, LetsGo said:

When I do as suggested the take up is smooth.

On 25/05/2023 at 23:16, LetsGo said:

To beat it I have to blip the throttle this increasing revs more than I normally need. 

So don't do this.

It sounds like you are not quite used to this feature.

It took me a while. 😒

Thanks. AG Falco

8 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

So don't do this.

It sounds like you are not quite used to this feature.

It took me a while. 😒

Thanks. AG Falco

So, I been driving cars for 58 years and this is the first one I have had to do it to beat a stall.  I have mastered in that time releasing the clutch slowly on tick over. I have no problem doing that, only it is slow and when your taking off from traffic lights, or other reason why stopped, it can annoy drivers behind and they are so impatient these days.

I can move off with a blip, I can move off by slowly releasing clutch on tick over. What I want to do is move off with no blipping, no slow release of clutch, no annoying other drivers.

Service is a week tomorrow so I will see if new plugs and new air filter improves matters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LetsGo said:

Service is a week tomorrow so I will see if new plugs and new air filter improves matters.

Just did my Fabia's 8th service including spark plugs and air filter.

Note, spark plugs are due at 40K miles and air filter at 60K miles.

No change to mine.

9 minutes ago, LetsGo said:

So, I been driving cars for 58 years and this is the first one I have had to do it to beat a stall.

Is this the first car you have had with this anti stall feature?

Try applying a small amount of throttle and holding it before you lift the clutch.

Thanks. AG Falco

11 hours ago, AGFalco said:

Is this the first car you have had with this anti stall feature?

Try applying a small amount of throttle and holding it before you lift the clutch.

Thanks. AG Falco

No.

@LetsGo, or you sure that this is not just a "feature" or "behaviour" of modern small capacity turbo charged petrol engines, maybe even especially ones with 4 valves in each cylinder?

• Like 1

The car might behave much better once the spark plugs are replaced if it does still have the originals in at 77,000 miles. 

Maybe the air filter replaced if that is the original still. 

Simple and basic servicing and replacing of consumables. 

1179912860_922218293_Screenshot2022-09-2115_58_57.jpg.3711dc86397a804fc83f268add4ae736(1).jpg.606196879c2532f67305f1ec411800c6.jpg

• Like 1

On 25/05/2023 at 04:11, LetsGo said:

My Fabia mk3 2015 with 1.2tsi petrol engine has what I can only describe as a hiccup when starting off from stationary.. Cold engine/hot engine does not matter, the hiccup is always there. No problems once got going, not at any speed range.

This hiccup will cause the engine to stall unless I catch it. By hiccup I mean it feels as if the engine is missing a beat. I can overcome it by giving the car a blip causing more revs then I think is needed, but if a “new” experienced driver jumped in they would probably stall it frequently.

For petrol, I regularly use Costco fuel, normally E5, but it’s the same problem when using E10, which I have done last couple months to see if there is a deference. No difference, the car still hiccups. 
ANY IDEAS please.

I don't want to worry you but it may be worth checking your fuel rail bolts are secure. I've had some intermittent minor rough running issues (even on super unleaded) for months and yesterday my fuel rail finally broke loose spraying petrol into the engine bay. 

The car was undeliverable and the only telltale sign a few drives beforehand was a faint smell of petrol when the car was parked after a journey. 

I heard about this fault and stupidly thought it would never happen to my car until it did. 

Of course it may be completely unrelated to your problem but is certainly worth checking if you have an affected engine. 

2016 1.2 tsi CJZC engine code 

• 2 weeks later...

Servicing and maintenance is pretty important.

Sad that Skoda schedule shows the air filter at 6 years and many do not get checked at each service. Sad that air filter housing are not designed to be easily opened as they used to be.

An inefficient engine is wasting money on fuel.

The Long Life spark plugs can be good for 60,000 miles in some cars but really can not just be ignored that many miles in TSI's of any era or engine capacity. 

• Like 3

Thanks for reporting back, unfortunately it's a common story.

I would expect the change of such old and used spark plugs and air filter to make a noticeable difference.  Of course the engine is not the most important system or component on the car, I hope your mechanic also checked the brakes, steering and suspension (all three include tyres).  Things like brake fluid and engine coolant are often overlooked and not even checked let alone changed.

I also changed the manual gearbox oil on my wife's 2015 Fabia at about 6 years and 40k-miles and my wife said she noticed the difference - but many will argue against this but it's an easy job (otherwise I'd not be able to do it) I've done on my cars and always found the benefit.

Much servicing, maintenance and even some repairs just boil down to clean and lubricate, boring easy stuff but a good base to build from even if you only want impressive sexy work on cars.

Good luck.

• Like 1