Oil consumption TDI 184 CUNA update

Oil consumption TDI 184 (remapped) update:

So an update on my oil consumption. This may or may not apply to you depending on the issue and will need investigating further aside from the fact that these engines are normal to burn oil (according to VAG)

I didn't manage to get a compression test done in the end and instead did the following which seems to have (so far anyway) reduced or resolved the issue:

I used Liqui moly engine flush (ended up staying in there for more than 30min due to sump plug threaded long story )

Flushed oil and flush using cheap 5w30 oil then added fresh new oil from Ravenol SVMP 5w30.

Added Liqui Moly Cera-tec additive.

So far have covered 1500k miles and not a drop used and also the oil seems a lot clearer whether that's the cera-tec coating time will tell.

So for now the issue seems to be sorted although maybe not fully cured but sometimes to try if you have high oil consumption. Not to mention the car runs so much smoother and better especially in this heat lol.

I'm now planning one 3-5k oil change intervals moving forwards. 

• Like 1

I used Castrol Edge in my VRS, went down to Cornwall and used  a litre over over a 800 mile trip. That was 5 years & 34000 miles back.

Did the same journey last month and used no oil, only difference is its been on Liquid Moly 4200 for the last two year's.

Ravenol VMP is pretty good oil - I also prefer it. It remains stable for long time and has high evaporation point. Unfortunately it became a little expensive in the last couple of years... 😕 

I change it every 10-12k km/6-7k miles, but if you don't do so much start/stop traffic trips like I do, I believe it will even be good for 10k miles.