AIR CON LEAK

Usually after having AC on water drips on to the concrete from the small radiator (nowhere can i find out what this component is called or find it in a diagram) beneath the floor pan under the drivers seat .But now its dripping onto the concrete drive from a plastic channel under the passenger side about level with the passenger seat.

I have had the engine under shield off ,firstly checking everything that might drip is sound . But no it only drips after air con has been on.

So next stage when its cooler will be to look at AC pipework where it enters through bulkhead and into the cabin and perhaps have a better chance of what I am looking at amongst the myriad of pipes.

Anyway learning as I go as till now I knew nothing about car AC but now know after a day or so a few things.

i wonder if anyone has had a similar experience?

I include a few diagrams out of interest.

roomster-945.webp

roomster-953 (1).webp

roomster-952 (1).webp

1 hour ago, bobspark said:

Usually after having AC on water drips on to the concrete from the small radiator (nowhere can i find out what this component is called

I think it's the a/c condenser, and this is normal function. You may have a blocked drain hole where it used to drip,

Yes thank you. Learned water is called condensate and as you say it may be normal drain route may be blocked.Wonder if I leave AC on and it continues working this may be the answer. But if it stops working then may be a refrigerant leak? But  with this heat and hay fever going full blast don't feel much  like doing anything.

Did find this

https://www.sandgateautoelectrics.com.au/car-air-conditioning-repair-5-reasons-vehicles-ac-leaks-water/

21 hours ago, bobspark said:

Usually after having AC on water drips on to the concrete from the small radiator (nowhere can i find out what this component is called or find it in a diagram) beneath the floor pan under the drivers seat .But now its dripping onto the concrete drive from a plastic channel under the passenger side about level with the passenger seat.

Thats pretty much where the drain is, you only see the water if you move the car a few feet after it has been running with the aircon on, like when I open my gates to drive into the property.

So long as its not filling up the car footwells if its getting to the ground it is draining, who cares what route it takes?

The A/C condenser is the thing that sits in front of the engine coolant radiator. The A/C evaporator is the thing in the cabin that gets cold. Just cabin-side of where the refrigerant pipes go through the firewall.

The thing under the driver's seat is probably a diesel fuel cooler.

The evaporator drain is visible in the first two photos you posted, 8* in the first 5 in the close-up second photo, adjacent to the pipes going to the heater matrix. Find it under a flap of sound insulation (shown as item 1 in your second picture), and as described in that linked thread. 

The condensed water is probably running from this drain, around the body metalwork to a low point near the fuel cooler, then falling to the ground.

Edited by Breezy_Pete
  • Like 2
  • Love it! 1

Many thanks Breezy I have now found diagram of fuel cooler and as it always dropped water there after the AC was on  I assumed it was to do with the AC.

Why it decided to drop the other side of the car is strange ,but if the AC works OK  and the condensate is not coming into the car then the engine under shield can go back on and case can be closed. At least I've learned something about AC ( and the fuel cooler I didn't know I had) in the last few days. I enclose diagram of fuel system the cooler being no 4. Thanks for replies Bob

image.thumb.png.2343e0a7b3da50f00bfb023f3e942d9a.png

• Like 1