VRS mk2 engine management light coming on

Hi, I just have a quick question regarding this problem. I am aware of all the issues surrounding the TSI engines and they're eagerness to blow up. But this is a query about a specific incident:

So, i always fill up the car with either shell v power or Esso 99RON equivalent, however, the other day I had to put some BP Ultimate 97 in it as I wouldn't have got home without it. About half way into the journey home (about 20 miles down the road) the engine management light came on and stayed on until I got back home. I haven't driven it since as I'm going to fill it up with Esso 99RON before going out again. My question is could this instance of filling up with the BP Ultimate cause the light to come on? or is it likely to be something unrelated to that. As some further information the driving was quite spirited and I was definetly using both the turbo and supercharger.

As a seperate question, is there supposed to be a lot of whistle and, what I can only describe as dumpvalve noise, from a VRS? Because I always thought VAG engines used a recirculating dump valve and not an atmospheric one?

It could be many things.

Ideally get the fault code checked.

Worse case scenario is the exhaust valves have gone (ask me how I know). This is common on these engines.

The fuel will not have caued it.

Also the whistling is normal.

On 23/06/2023 at 13:11, Eddfaf said:

Hi, I just have a quick question regarding this problem. I am aware of all the issues surrounding the TSI engines and they're eagerness to blow up. But this is a query about a specific incident:

So, i always fill up the car with either shell v power or Esso 99RON equivalent, however, the other day I had to put some BP Ultimate 97 in it as I wouldn't have got home without it. About half way into the journey home (about 20 miles down the road) the engine management light came on and stayed on until I got back home. I haven't driven it since as I'm going to fill it up with Esso 99RON before going out again. My question is could this instance of filling up with the BP Ultimate cause the light to come on? or is it likely to be something unrelated to that. As some further information the driving was quite spirited and I was definetly using both the turbo and supercharger.

As a seperate question, is there supposed to be a lot of whistle and, what I can only describe as dumpvalve noise, from a VRS? Because I always thought VAG engines used a recirculating dump valve and not an atmospheric one?

Fuel wouldn't cause any issues no.

As for the whistling, a completely standard 1.4 tsi you should only mildly hear the supercharger. 

& some removed the casing for the Supercharger to hear more noise.

So look see if that has been done.

Likely never replaced on the cars that did get this done.

2011 & the cars came out in 2010.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/207866-super-sound-deadening

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/216262-vrs-supercharger-noise

?

Has the car had a replacement waterpump & 2 belts in the past 12 year?

PS

Those that have actually driven or owned Twinchargers might well have changed their usual fuel and then had an Exhaust Control Light or EPC light or both come up.

Often that just happens to be because a spark plug was about to give up anyway.

Not all E5 in the UK is the same, not even from the same Brands.

But it is booting the car and having turbo & supercharger boosting below 3,500 rpm that you get a warning to check stuff and take it easy til you find the issue, 

or stick with your regular 97 or 99 ron min petrol.

Maybe that BP 97 had too much Detergents, or even their filling station tank was filled in error with 95 ron, as happended to me at a Sainsbury in Aberdeen years back.

(I had a switchable map from APR luckily to get home with, but still had a brown trouser moment in an outside lane  climbing a hill out of Aberdeen with someone right up my jacksy when it went into limp mode.)

Same thing when staying in Preston on the way to Santa Pod and filling up at Tesco Blackpool with Momentum 99 the night before heading south and the next morning the car running sh!te.  (I had been running tanks of it no problem in the north and on the way south other than when using 102 ron for special occasion.)

Luckily i had Hiperflo 250 (102 ron) in cans in the boot and put that into the tank.

276235547_1384336435_Screenshot2022-01-3014_03_59.jpg.d43b66a38bf086423e31cbd1b02722b8(1).jpg.36fe5772d927b86674b025b891bf3028.jpg

BS on the faster with Super Charger cover off on this CTHE that ran crap with the Tuning Box.

BS on the price as well.

How not to throw money at them with trial and error and lots of error.

He could not get the APR dealer to remap it at the time even with the ECU removed and opened.

Edited by toot

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the replies. I filled up with a full tank of V-Power but the light remains. I am aware that the brand of petrol would be extremely unlikely to have caused the CEL. My concern was more about the RON of the brand of petrol. I always fill it with 98+ RON fuel, usually Shell V-Power 99, but sometimes Esso 99 when the Shell forecourt is closed. I only get BP 97 when I absolutely have to and even then I put in as little as possible because of the fact that it's only 97 RON and the manual clearly states the engine needs 98 RON or higher.

I've booked it in at my local Skoda dealership (Usually I goto a local garage by my house, but they're not exactly familiar with the TSi engine so I thought it'd be best to go to Skoda). I've asked them to look at the CEL and find out what the issue is, and depending on the answer, I'm either going to get it fixed and then have the waterpump/timing chain/all that good stuff that's been mentioned replaced.

OR; if it's knackered I'm not throwing good money after bad because I just can't afford a mammoth engine repair/replace job, so it'll be going to the scrap yard for spares or repairs. Such a shame as I only got it on 24k miles and it's barely into 50k now. It's small, practical, got 5 doors, loads of headroom, a DSG box and it's pretty rapid. It would be the perfect hot hatch were it not for the engine reliability issues.

Thank you for the advice, this thread is probably coming to an close. However, if I could ask one more thing and that's a list of specific things that I should get looked at and/or replaced during the service then I would greatly appreciate it.

It need not be anything major.

A 2011 car might have had the breather mod done, and the software update. Maybe not if never an oil user, and if not maybe never needed the Oil Spray Jets done. (Squirters'.)

It might have had the Water pump and belts replaced, but maybe not.

Might now need spark plugs, maybe a coil or coils. 

It all depends on what it has had and when. 

Fault codes need read, and any issues diagnosed, and by someone that knows the engines.

No guarantee that will be a tech at a main dealership. 

?

Where in the UK are you so that maybe someone can direct you to someplace that gives a damn?

PS

When / eventually, you do go to move it on, then BRISKODA For SALES is a good place to try.

Edited by toot

Excuse me for saying this, but I think you're overreacting massively, a CEL simply means a fault code has been stored, it can be as simple as failing battery voltage or a misfire due to a coil pack.

I do realise there has been a LOT of catastrophising on here with the twincharger but this is mostly on early engines with crazy oil consumption. You don't have any of those symptoms so there's no reason to assume the worst.

The whistling and the dump valve sound could simply be the airbox leaking or an inlet pipe come adrift.

You'd be forgiven for thinking that you're driving a grenade with wheels based on some of the dramarama posted on here but it's not true.

• Like 1

I'm in North-West Shropshire close to the Welsh border. Wrexham is about 20 miles away for comparison.

When I bought it in 2016 it was from a Skoda dealership, they had used it as a demo car or dealership car or something, they were the actual owner of it as opposed to selling it second hand.

I don't think it's had any oil related fixes done because when I first got it there wasn't any problem with oil consumption for about 2 years, and since then it's been on and off. For example since my last service last year it hasn't drank any oil as far as I can tell.

Oil related fixes would have been in the first 3 years most likely, and if a Skoda /VW / Dealers car no guarantee of any record of that, or even of a replacement engine in many cases.

All that matters is the past few years not over a decade or so ago.

Engines were rebuilt, 2010/11, then sort units, then base units.  Plenty good 2010-2012 CAVE engines about from the factory, or from sorted out under warranty or after with extended warranty.

Crazy taking the car to a main dealer for a simple fault code that’s not even been read yet , I hope you have a second mortgage for the prices these ripping gits charge especially with everything you are highlighting you want them to do easily over 2-3K at there prices 

I was considering buying a fault code reader from Halfords or similar. I noticed the advertisement for the one that hooks up to your phone on the forum. Are these any good? or is it worth buying a professional one? Bear in mind I don't want to edit the ECU or make any changes, I literally just want to see the fault codes that are being logged and perhaps clear them.

Also I don't know of any other garages within 20-30 miles that would be familiar with the TSi engine and it's specific issues.

There's no reason to suspect that the fault code is a TSi specific problem, any garage can read it and tell you the code, even a cheap reader will allow you to post the code on here where we can quickly point you in the right direction.

Meanwhile the days pass as you overthink and catastrophise what is probably a minor fault.

You're right. Let's just say with modern cars and their electronics I always assume the worst. Last time I had a problem it wouldn't start and I was convinced it was knackered, turned out to be the control module on the fuel pump, replaced that and it was golden.........until this problem.