Trip Odometer

tigerfeet

Good morning, hoping for advice please - my trip odometer is resetting itself virtually every day or every trip. Also at the same time, 'since start', 'long term' and 'since refueling' consumption figures all zero too. Tried searching this forum and have found a few other people have experienced the same problem. Any remedies folks?

Mine has done the same a couple of times, and when I reported it to my dealer they said they would update the software to prevent it happening again. As it only happened twice over several months it's too early to say if they have cured it. The main reason my car was booked in was to cure the false travel assist warnings, which is now the subject of 'service campaign' 48S5. As that seemed to be temperature related to me, and had already stopped happening in June, again it's to early to say how successful it's been.

16 hours ago, CJJE said:

Mine has done the same a couple of times, and when I reported it to my dealer they said they would update the software to prevent it happening again. As it only happened twice over several months it's too early to say if they have cured it. The main reason my car was booked in was to cure the false travel assist warnings, which is now the subject of 'service campaign' 48S5. As that seemed to be temperature related to me, and had already stopped happening in June, again it's to early to say how successful it's been.

Hello CJJE, mine is resetting evry single day and sometimes more than that! Not sure if it's an intermittent connection as opposed to software?

Hi Tigerfeet,

Mine has the virtual cockpit, and resetting the trip odometer (when I fill the petrol tank)is a bit of a pain as you have to dive into menu settings to do it. If you have the analogue cockpit with a button to reset the trip odometer, then a connection problem there could well be the reason. But with the virtual cockpit, a bad connection that only affects the stored mileage seems fairly unlikely unless other settings are also being affected. 

Chris

19 minutes ago, CJJE said:

Hi Tigerfeet,

Mine has the virtual cockpit, and resetting the trip odometer (when I fill the petrol tank)is a bit of a pain as you have to dive into menu settings to do it. If you have the analogue cockpit with a button to reset the trip odometer, then a connection problem there could well be the reason. But with the virtual cockpit, a bad connection that only affects the stored mileage seems fairly unlikely unless other settings are also being affected. 

Chris

Nor me 😞 Did you have the car from new, and so is it out of warranty? Or do you have a used car warranty on it? It sounds like a dealer job to me.

Chris

10 hours ago, CJJE said:

Nor me 😞 Did you have the car from new, and so is it out of warranty? Or do you have a used car warranty on it? It sounds like a dealer job to me.

Chris

Had it from new....no extended warranty I'm afraid. Loathe to pay Skoda repair prices even though the problem annoys me

• 1 month later...
On 14/07/2023 at 06:23, tigerfeet said:

Had it from new....no extended warranty I'm afraid. Loathe to pay Skoda repair prices even though the problem annoys me

Hoping this post may help someone with the same problem - My trip odometer, fuel consumption figures (since start, long term and since refuelling) have all been randomnly resetting to zero pretty much every day, sometimes within a couple of hours of switching off the car. I have mentioned the problem on this site, but without any luck in resolving the issue. Have tested the battery, checked fuses, updated firmware, all without success. I like listening to my music in the car and have a 128GB USB stick in the USB socket to provide same. Sometime ago, I bought a right angle USB 3.0 male to female plug adaptor. My logic was that I could leave the USB stick connected and be able to close the sliding cover on the centre console when vacating the car. During a clean up in the interior a couple of days ago, I decided to remove the usb stick to add a few more music files to my collection. A few short trips in the car over the last couple of days (minus the usb stick) , my trip odometer has not reset and long term and since refuelling figures have remained intact! I cannot see how this has had an effect on the problem, but then again, my electrical/ electronics knowledge is fairly limited, but I'm assuming there is a connection? During the course of today, I will be refilling the petrol tank and hopefully things will remain the same. If the problem returns, I'll update everyone accordingly709986907_usb2.jpg.4232f54fb1e6442c3d8733648a2c9ca1.jpg709986907_usb2.jpg.4232f54fb1e6442c3d8733648a2c9ca1.jpg

usb adaptor.jpg

16 hours ago, snowglowjoe said:

Hoping this post may help someone with the same problem - My trip odometer, fuel consumption figures (since start, long term and since refuelling) have all been randomnly resetting to zero pretty much every day, sometimes within a couple of hours of switching off the car. I have mentioned the problem on this site, but without any luck in resolving the issue. Have tested the battery, checked fuses, updated firmware, all without success. I like listening to my music in the car and have a 128GB USB stick in the USB socket to provide same. Sometime ago, I bought a right angle USB 3.0 male to female plug adaptor. My logic was that I could leave the USB stick connected and be able to close the sliding cover on the centre console when vacating the car. During a clean up in the interior a couple of days ago, I decided to remove the usb stick to add a few more music files to my collection. A few short trips in the car over the last couple of days (minus the usb stick) , my trip odometer has not reset and long term and since refuelling figures have remained intact! I cannot see how this has had an effect on the problem, but then again, my electrical/ electronics knowledge is fairly limited, but I'm assuming there is a connection? During the course of today, I will be refilling the petrol tank and hopefully things will remain the same. If the problem returns, I'll update everyone accordingly709986907_usb2.jpg.4232f54fb1e6442c3d8733648a2c9ca1.jpg709986907_usb2.jpg.4232f54fb1e6442c3d8733648a2c9ca1.jpg

usb adaptor.jpg

I have a similar setup for my music collection which has now been plugged in for several months.

I have the virtual cockpit on my '23 facelift 1.5 SEL & can't help with this problem as my start/refueling/long term figures are all OK, & have been for a long time.

I only mention this because it seems to be yet another instance of the car's electronics doing their own thing, much to the frustration, I'm sure, of the owner. 

As several other contributors have opined the car is excellent but it seems that the accessories/extras/electronics could be described as grossly over-engineered.

• Like 1

Totally agree! My electronics knowledge is virtually non existant, but I cannot fathom the connection between removing a usb flash drive and re-establishing trip odo readings and fuel consumption figures? For the record, I refuelled the car yesterday and all figures are as they should be. Off on a long trip this weekend and will see if the problem is still resolved👍

Famous last words! Just returned home after a 180 mile round trip. Odometer and fuel consumption readings had all reset to zero overnight, when entering the car early morning. On arriving home a couple of hours ago, after return trip, all the readings have reset to zero again!🤬 At a complete loss now

There was a TPI back in 2019 for a similar issue on the Octavia which was resolved by a software update

Given they tend to share SW across models, there's a good change there is a similar TPI and update for the Karoq. You'd need to log in to erwin to check :)

Octavia TPI:

image.png.cc5cf4775564d6984fbcc7f2cf6702a9.png

image.png.fced3fa17e7456c5548572f34dbb2fc8.png

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, langers2k said:

There was a TPI back in 2019 for a similar issue on the Octavia which was resolved by a software update

Given they tend to share SW across models, there's a good change there is a similar TPI and update for the Karoq. You'd need to log in to erwin to check :)

Octavia TPI:

32 minutes ago, snowglowjoe said:

langers, I have successfully logged into erwin for skoda - the website appears to be down for maintenance at the mo. Do i post a question about my problem and ask if there is a software update or can I search?  Many thanks for your interest and any help you can give with my problem👍

Edited by snowglowjoe
typo

Been a while since I've used it but if I recall, you need to enter your VIN and then you can access all the TPI which are valid.

There certainly appear to be some updates for Karoq clusters but you'd need a scan tool to confirm what is fitted to your car and it's software version:

image.png.6a1c6970f2a334cd20a9b9fa87ec498f.png

On 10/09/2023 at 18:30, langers2k said:

Octavia TPI: