New to ownership, finding a few issues …..

Hi all! So just joined the Skoda family with my 19 plate superb, lovely to drive. Had it 4 days now, but finding a few things that are worrying me a tad. 

When I test drove it, the start stop system didn’t work at all, they assured me it was because it had been stood but if it still didn’t work in a few weeks they would put a new battery on for me, which was fair enough. It’s worked a couple of times but no where near the amount I would expect it to (have a seat leon and drove that as main car for almost 9 years, basically same set up bar the badge as far as I’m aware, a lot of parts shared between the brands etc, and that’s never skipped a beat) 

The infotainment screen just went black 2 days ago after park pilot had gone off, had to park up, turn car off and on, delete my phone from CarPlay, then eventually it came on like nothing had happened? 😕 

Then yesterday, the car auto locked when I drove away, great, but then kept constantly clicking unlock/lock/unlock etc. Did it for 2 journeys then hasn’t done it since? Could it be because of the heavy rain? As that’s the only thing that’s been different. 

Then noticed today, that the start stop system is saying as the reason the system won’t work that the ‘Engine must be running’ which it was, stayed like that the whole journey? 

Does it sound like a battery could be the fault for these? Or is there something more sinister going on? It’s booked in for next week with the dealer, but I’ve just had a 2.5 month fight to get money back on a Picasso that was practically fit for scrapping, so I’m scared about things going wrong with this one as well! 

Thanks in advance everyone! 

IMG_9195.jpeg

Welcome to Skoda Becky10. 
Tell us some more about the car. Petrol or Diesel? Did you buy it from a Skoda dealer? What’s the mileage? Did they supply a print out of the service history? How many owners? 
As for the weirdo stuff, certainly a duff battery can make it do all sorts of strange things, but in any event, I’d be standing on their forecourt first thing on Monday and getting a courtesy car til it’s fixed. 

• Like 1

Mine's coming up for 7 years old and still has the original battery.  It's usually only used a couple of times a week, but stop/start is working by the time I reach the end of the street when the engine's still cold at this time of the year,  Of course, in winter it takes longer, but usually operates once the engine's warm.

The engine must be running message is usually because cabin temperature sensor requires the air conditioning 

Does you car have the grey bar which pops up at top of the screen with a short message. If so it can be dragged down and usually gives more details.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

The engine must be running message is usually because cabin temperature sensor requires the air conditioning 

Does you car have the grey bar which pops up at top of the screen with a short message. If so it can be dragged down and usually gives more details.

^^^^ that, or possible windscreen fogging conditions can be another reason.

3 hours ago, Penpusher said:

Mine's coming up for 7 years old and still has the original battery.

Ours is 7 years old and still on the original too. Given the four 1.8 miles journeys a day it does during term time (I drive a school bus) it gets a pounding, what with the AC on 365, the heated seat, screen often both on in the Autumn and Winter when needed together with full lights always on during that time of year, I think it’s done pretty well. I do shove it on the CTEK charger daily overnight in the winter though so that could be helping. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Seems like the AC is on, looking at the OP’s pic, John. 

Just noticed the engine revs seem a bit high, especially as the engine is up to full temp? Isn’t that the case when there’s a high current demand? (Or it’s in Sport mode of course).

Edited by numskull
Updated

Owned mine for nearly 5 years now. No idea if it's the original battery but everything still ok. Had a year of really tough nearly daily 1.5mile short runs and it still shows 12.4-12.6v on my cheap cigarette lighter USB socket. 

I do disable S/S manually every time and have switched off the going home lights. 

Should be easy to check battery voltage and see

Certainly seems as if the battery could be suspect. My stop/start packed up about 10 months before I finally changed the battery. Worked fine when new battery fitted.