Wheel spacer and later issue with bearing etc...

Hi all,

I just bought my first Octavia VRS 2015 and like most of us, could hardly see the 225/40/18 wheels in the arches...

I read that many of you have gone for 15mm and 20mm (back) wheel spacers...

How does it work with original suspension and the bearings? Have they worn quicker than usual, was it directly due to the spacers?

Thanks for your help!

The below steel rim with an ET33 offset, is used on cars such as the VW Sharan, and VW Tiguan.

I once looked up what front wheel bearings these cars used, and they were the same or similar to other VAG cars that used rims with a 5/112 PCD but with more offset such as ET51.

Therefore, I doubt you will have problems with front wheel bearing failures by using front rims with an effective offset as low as ET33.

Using spacers, changes the effective offset of a rim. For example, using a 10mm spacer with an ET51 rim gives an effective offset of ET41, and using a 15mm spacer with an ET49 rim gives an effective offset of ET34, etc.

6.5Jx16 ET33 5/112 57.1 steel rim

Alcar KFZ 9922

https://www.oponeo.pl/felga-stalowa/alcar-kfz-9922#23375120

Edited by Carlston

I haven't fitted wheel spacers to my 2013 Vrs, but I can tell you, the wheel bearings are definitely a weak point of this car. 

I first replaced the rear wheel bearings June 2019, after 5.5 years, and 95k miles. Replaced the fronts in July 2019, 96k miles. 

Replaced the fronts again (shouldn't have gone for cheap ones...) in October 2020, 116k miles. 

Just replaced the front and rears again last week, July 2023, 161k miles. 

I don't think spacers will add to the wear, but they're certainly not the best to begin with. 

Edited by jimbojames

13 minutes ago, jimbojames said:

Where/how do you drive that means you are going through bearing at that rate?  I realise I am tempting fate now but I haven't changed a wheel bearing in 15 years.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jimbojames said:

I haven't fitted wheel spacers to my 2013 Vrs, but I can tell you, the wheel bearing are definitely a weak point of this car. 

I first replaced the rear wheel bearings June 2019, after 5.5 years, and 95k miles. Replaced the fronts in July 2019, 96k miles. 

Replaced the fronts again (shouldn't have gone for cheap ones...) in October 2020, 116k miles. 

I don't think spacers will add to the wear, but they're certainly not the best to begin with. 

The Octavia MK3 with 312x25mm and 340x30mm front brakes, eg. all VRS models, use the same 85mm front wheel bearings as all models of the Kodiaq (and other Skodas such as Karoq, Octavia MK4, Superb MK3).

Considering that the Kodiaq is a much heavier car than the Octavia MK3 and uses much bigger outside diameter tyres, they are the opposite of weak.

SKF VKBA 7011 wheel bearing kit (sold to replace 8V0498625A and other OEM part numbers)

SKF with integrated ABS sensor Wheel hub bearing VKBA 7011 buy

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/skf/7614660

Edited by Carlston

6 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

Where/how do you drive that means you are going through bearing at that rate?  I realise I am tempting fate now but I haven't changed a wheel bearing in 15 years.

Just normal driving on good old British pot hole filled roads! I do use my car for DIY tools/equipment hauling, so the rears may be under added stress, but nothing out of the ordinary up front. 

6 minutes ago, Carlston said:

The Octavia MK3 with 312x25mm and 340x30mm front brakes, eg. all VRS models, use the same 85mm front wheel bearings as all models of the Kodiaq (and other Skodas such as Karoq, , Octavia MK4, Superb MK3).

Considering that the Kodiaq is a much heavier car than the Octavia MK3 and use much bigger outside diameter tyres, they are the opposite of weak.

SKF VKBA 7011 wheel bearing kit (sold to replace 8V0498625A and other OEM part numbers)

SKF with integrated ABS sensor Wheel hub bearing VKBA 7011 buy

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/skf/7614660

Dunno what to tell you! I never changed front or rears on my mk2 vrs in the 6 years I had that, but changed them more than expected on this one. Maybe I had a few 'Friday' bearings?! (I work in a car factory, I know these things exist, though not just on a Friday!) 

Edited by jimbojames

20 minutes ago, jimbojames said:

Dunno what to tell you! I never changed front or rears on my mk2 vrs in the 6 years I had that, but changed them more than expected on this one. Maybe I had a few 'Friday' bearings?! (I work in a car factory, I know these things exist, though not just on a Friday!) 

Sometimes replacement wheel bearings get damaged by an incompetent fitter. Then it's just a matter of time before play develops in the bearing and they need to be replaced again.

What happens is the fitter applies the force from the bearing press in the wrong place, which causes the ball bearings to dent the ball races.

It's easy to check, by taking a wheel off and rotating the bearing by hand that the incompetent fitter has just replaced. Turn the wheel bearing by hand (without the wheel fitted) and if it feels rough to turn by hand (like if the ball bearings are dropping in and out of small dents in the ball races)  then the fitter has damaged the wheel bearing when pressing it in with his press (which can apply tonnes of force).

Edited by Carlston

1 hour ago, Carlston said:

Sometimes replacement wheel bearings get damaged by an incompetent fitter. Then it's just a matter of time before play develops in the bearing and they need to be replaced again.

What happens is the fitter applies the force from the bearing press in the wrong place, which causes the ball bearings to dent the ball races.

It's easy to check, by taking a wheel off and rotating the bearing by hand that the incompetent fitter has just replaced. Turn the wheel bearing by hand (without the wheel fitted) and if it feels rough to turn by hand (like if the ball bearings are dropping in and out of small dents in the ball races)  then the fitter has damaged the wheel bearing when pressing it in with his press (which can apply tonnes of force).

Well, as I'm the fitter (with 20 years experience in all things electrical and mechanical) it certainly wasn't incompetence 😄

Plus, I replaced the whole bearing and housing each time, so didn't need to press the bearings in or out. Just torque the bolts properly. 

I think it's a location thing. Roads or speed bumps matched with your choice of speed (doesn't have to be fast) are activating the failure mode. Pure coincidence and I'm sure you'd be even more grumpy were you not able to change the parts yourself.

My suggestion would be to change tyre pressure and/or fit different tyres. Maybe drop to 17s?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 18/07/2023 at 11:26, SebSeb said:

Hi all,

I just bought my first Octavia VRS 2015 and like most of us, could hardly see the 225/40/18 wheels in the arches...

I read that many of you have gone for 15mm and 20mm (back) wheel spacers...

How does it work with original suspension and the bearings? Have they worn quicker than usual, was it directly due to the spacers?

Thanks for your help!

Keep coming back to your post to see if anyone actually answered your question, but still not unfortunately - I'm also considering spacers and would like to know what issues they can or have caused..

Hello, it depends on how far the wheels are pushed out by the spacers - and the original offset (ET) If pushed out too far, there will be a significant increase in the leverage exerted against the bearing, probably resulting in increased wear. 

It has been a very long time since I messed around with axles and wheel bearings - can anyone tell me if the wheel bearings are ball or tapered rollers nowadays?

• Like 1