Battery

Alexburridge

Hi I drive a Karoq 1.6 tdi automatic 2018. Got in it this morning and it would not start. The dashboard lights up and flashes then I get a message come up saying battery low drive car.

it is still the original battery, a Moll 70Ah efb am going to try to start it using a battery booster so I can drive to get the battery replaced but the chances of getting a moll battery here in Spain is pretty remote, not even sure if Skoda still fit them.

what would be a good replacement and is there anything I have to get done after replacing the battery

thank you

From memory some of the moll batteries were subject to a recall for failing early...   Might be worth checking with a dealer if yours is

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I was talking with a friend the other day about batteries.  He said that he had to replace one on his BMW Aactive Tourer some months ago and was advised by someone he reckons is 'in the know' that Bosch batteries are particularly good and better than the OEM BMW ones, so he accordingly bought a Bosch.  While i was there he looked up my car (Karoq 1.0 DSG SE Tech) from the supplier he used andI recall he said a Bosch replacement EFB would be £109, which seemed very reasonable

He also noted that Japanese Yuasa batteries have a good reputation, with some features incorporated that increases the battery voltage by 0.5volt.  Whether or not that would be compatible with the fancy stop / start electronics in the Skoda I don't know    https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/yuasa/

I thought my friend had used the Tayna site to find my Bosch battery, but apparently not -  a search there only come up with batteries for diesel Karoqs and then some obscure make.  I must talk to him again.

Bosch and Varta are the same and made in the same factories but Varta are cheaper.  Yuasa are also good.  I've always used Varta but do have a Yuasa on my MX5.

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, skomaz said:

Varta are cheaper.

Usually, the last 060 battery I bought was for my current Yeti and the Bosch was cheaper at that time.

Bosch Silver equivalent to Varta Blue IIRC, they both had exactly the same specs and EN CCA ratings so it could have been any colour really.

• Like 1

I think I gave out duff information there - my friend isn't in the best of health, so he couldn't recall where he found then price I quoted.  He did think that Varta had beeny an East European company and didn't know they'd been taken over by Bosch (rather like the Skoda / VW situation).  Anyhow I looked up prices in Eurocarparts for my MY2019 1.0 and they give non-EFB, EFB and AGM options with various suggested makes for each of the 3 battery types   https://www.eurocarparts.com/car-battery    They do quote substantially higher prices for Varta over Bosch batteries, except for the cheap non-EFB type (which anyway are no good for Karoqs)  A Bosch EFB would cost a little over £155 & the Varta equivalent £191, but I haven't done any detailed checks on the sizes & specifications.

My 4+yr 59amphr Varta EFB is seemingly in the best of health just now.  I last charged it with my CTEK charger almost a year ago and it reported there were no sulphation problems then.  There is a recondition (desulphation mode) only option on the charger which I might try soon.  They suggest doing this once a year to keep the battery in tip top condition.  A 5 year battery life is what I've come to expect in cars, so it will be interesting to see how long I can eek out my battery life with this CTEK proceedure.  I don't use stop/start all the time, only switching it on when I think I've a bit of a wait at say traffic lights, which presumably puts less strain on the battery.

• 6 months later...

Hi New Member here

Wondering if I'm the only one with a NEW Sportline TSI Auto 3 weeks old with Battery failure ?  She's only done >800 mile's 😞

Not sure what battery it has as it's been sat at dealership for a week... untouched.. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, W5JHD said:

Hi New Member here

Wondering if I'm the only one with a NEW Sportline TSI Auto 3 weeks old with Battery failure ?  She's only done >800 mile's 😞

Not sure what battery it has as it's been sat at dealership for a week... untouched.. 

Not much good after the event, but if you had phoned Skoda Assist they would have fixed it , replaced the battery, or taken the car to dealer and provided a loan car. 
Do you have a dash cam or anything plugged into the 12V power sockets, as these are permanently live and well documented for draining battery if something inadvertently left plugged in.

• Like 1

If it's the original battery from 2018 then it's probably due replacement age wise.

If buying a new battery I'd say go for AGM over EFB. AGM is better and often not much more expensive.

Remember you need to code the BMS for the battery replacement, especially if changing battery type.

Oops just reread the thread.

It was tagged onto. So a brand new car. That's back to the dealer, unless you know you're doing something extra to drain it as has been mentioned.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/04/2024 at 14:21, W5JHD said:

Hi New Member here

Did you get it sorted?

See my post / thread ‘Dodgy OEM battery’ on the Superb forum…….