how do I get Android Auto on an Amundsen Head unit? or what do I replace it with?

Hoggyf

I have what I think is an Amundsen head unit in my 2015 Monte Carlo and there is no USB input, just the headphone input socket and memory card but I want to upgrade and have android auto, is there a way to do this or what head unit could I replace it with? 

I needed to get Smartlink activated on the Bolero in my 2017 SE (by my local dealer, cost ~£100 IIRC) to be able to use Android Auto.  It sounds like your Amundsen unit doesn't have Smartlink, though whether it can be activated on yours I couldn't say.  A dealer should be able to advise.

You do need to have a USB socket as an aux input on the head unit, as that's how Android Auto connects to Smartlink, so if you don't have that then it may not be possible to have Smartlink enabled.

Edited by ejstubbs

3 hours ago, Hoggyf said:

it only has the headphone type jack socket on the head unit, it looks like only the 2016 onwards models had usb connection??

My 2015 Octavia (Amundsen, MIB2) has the USB.

17 hours ago, Hoggyf said:

it looks like only the 2016 onwards models had usb connection??

Post October 2014 models had the Amundsen II with USB socket

Yours must be a pre November 2014  model as after that there is no headphone socket on the fascia of the unit.

It's a 2015 Montecarlo which I think used a mix of the newer and older stuff, is stereo is an older model sadly

Anyone know a headunit that I can replace it with? Either Skoda or an universal type that's compatible??

I put the S8 version of this in my Yeti and it works well

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EyVc2l1

If you did go this route then you have to get the VW Canbus adapter too

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGbmR6J

That does Android Auto. I added a wireless Android Auto adapter to it from Amazon and now I even have wireless Android Auto too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Urrell said:

Did you get clobbered for tax?

Not exactly, they add tax on when you buy it. I think the Government have got wise to AliExpress and it's all handled automatically at the checkout. It's been like that for quite a while now, I know that as I've been using AliExpress, and Alibaba, for years.

So what I paid AliExpress was it. Arrived in about 2 weeks.

Saying that though I just checked again and no tax was shown against this item. Interesting - But all I can answer then is No, not charged any more after purchase and I never have been with many AliExpress orders.

Edited by aubrey