Does oil extractor empty all the sump oil?

Hi all,

I serviced my 2017 Fabia 1.2TSI today and used a Pela 6000 oil extractor. I definitely had it in fully and working properly but it only took 2 Litres out. Has it left a load of oil behind or could I have been that low on oil to start with?

I was wondering if the sump is maybe an awkward shape for that device. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Bluechild said:

Has it left a load of oil behind or could I have been that low on oil to start with?

Dunno. Is the dipstick tube over the sump well so that the extractor can reach the base of the well?

For what it is worth, at least VW use a comment/recommendation about changing the oil on this model/type of engine, and that is "do not use oil extraction method, drain from sump plug" - so that is what I've always done with my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI - and I think that you have discovered that this is the only way to change the oil in this model/type of VW Group engine. 

My Pelo 6000, rests on a shelf in my garage, just another tool bought in error, I have only used it once on a SEAT Ibiza 1.4 16V engine, and ran out of patience, it worked well enough on my petrol mower - but using simpler tools to do that job means less time wasted cleaning everything up afterwards.

I think that you need to fabricate a pair of ramps out of wood, or buy a ready made pair of ramps.

Edited by rum4mo
fabricate NOT fabric!!
  • Love it! 1

Lots of places vacuum / suck out the oil.  it is a H&S and efficiency thing.

Then replace the sump plug and then fill the oil.

If they vacuum / suck the oil and do not change the sump plug but charge you for a sump plug then that is Fraud, taking money by false pretences, and taking VAT for a part not supplied.

But then that has been happening for many a year with Fixed Price Servicing & Maintenance and the parts not on the car but on the bill.

Sucking out the oil is just fine, and if you want to be sure about that on your Euro 6 TSI running long life oil and getting fixed or variable oil changes then remove the sump plug and check for bits, gunge and how much or actual little oil drains out.

Edited by toot
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

For what it is worth, at least VW use a comment/recommendation about changing the oil on this model/type of engine, and that is "do not use oil extraction method, drain from sump plug" - so that is what I've always done with my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI - and I think that you have discovered that this is the only way to change the oil in this model/type of VW Group engine. 

My Pelo 6000, rests on a shelf in my garage, just another tool bought in error, I have only used it once on a SEAT Ibiza 1.4 16V engine, and ran out of patience, it worked well enough on my petrol mower - but using simpler tools to do that job means less time wasted cleaning everything up afterwards.

I think that you need to fabric a pair of ramps out of wood, or buy a ready made pair of ramps.

Thanks, that answers my question perfectly. Much appreciated!

• Like 1

@Bluechild   So your question Re: it pulled 2 litres and was that all of it ?     I'm interested in the answer, so did you undo the sump nut and more come out, or did you just fill it back up and it took more, the just under 4L as expected.

Both results would prove either way and as said I'm interested.

I also brought an extractor but as @rum4mo said I couldn't be bothered having to clean it afterwards, so I just use ramps and do the sump plug. I have to get underneath anyway to get to the oil filter. I think if I didn't need to go underneath anyway then I would use it.

6 hours ago, aubrey said:

@Bluechild   So your question Re: it pulled 2 litres and was that all of it ?     I'm interested in the answer, so did you undo the sump nut and more come out, or did you just fill it back up and it took more, the just under 4L as expected.

Both results would prove either way and as said I'm interested.

I also brought an extractor but as @rum4mo said I couldn't be bothered having to clean it afterwards, so I just use ramps and do the sump plug. I have to get underneath anyway to get to the oil filter. I think if I didn't need to go underneath anyway then I would use it.

I wasn't geared up to empty the sump by that point so I put 3L of new oil in and cracked on. The level is at about max so I would estimate the extractor left behind some oil (minus whatever was in the filter). However, I haven't topped the oil up since putting 4L in last year (levels have been fine) so it's difficult to say how much was burned off. Hope that helps!

• Love it! 1