Body camera recommendations

UndertheRadar

As per the title, does anyone have any experience or recommendations for a small but quality body camera that can be worn on the front of a blazer pocket?

My daughter has been picked on for being dyslexic for over a year now. She has been soaked with energy drinks, hit with stones/rocks, bottles in the face and elbowed in the chest. Assaulted in corridors in school along with being shot in the head, threatened with rape/being thrown out emergency doors at speed on the bus, and recently an attempt on her life with one little individual mounting a grass verge at speed in his car to try and hit her. 
So I’m looking for something quality she can wear that’s not too big that will connect to her iPhone for viewing video or sending images or sound etc. 
Any ideas? As I’m not sure of makes or where to start really, and need something before she starts back to school. 
Thanks folks 👍🏻

Edited by UndertheRadar
  • Sad 4
  • Crying 1

i cant help with camera advice.

However, how old is your daughter? that list isnt a child being bullied, shes being actively targeted for harm. is it the same 2/3 scrotes all the time or is it widespread? i presume the school is being utterly unhelpful and useless about the entire saga, but surely the cops have been involved aswell?

• Like 1

Police are involved since April/May last year along with MP’s/MLA’s and news media etc. Most hands are tied due to ongoing investigation etc. The body camera is on police advice. 
It’s 2 main ones who are mates and work together to target her by winding up others around them. It’s now listed as a hate crime. 
Yes the school is absolutely pathetic at dealing with it. Headmaster turned her away one morning after she was shot at for a second time, as it was beneath him to deal with it. 
Parents are delusional and give it the usual, Oh No, not our wee perfect child, and consider us monsters for even suggesting such a thing. 

• Sad 1

What a horrible situation, you have my sympathies

Shot at with what? An air pistol, a BB gun?

How old is your daughter?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

What a horrible situation, you have my sympathies

Shot at with what? An air pistol, a BB gun?

How old is your daughter?

Shot in the head once with BB gun inside a school bus, so reasonably close distance, and same weapon used several weeks later to try again. 
She’s 15. 

• Crying 1

57 minutes ago, FUBAR said:

I'm sorry to hear all of this, it's a real nightmare I am sure! Seemingly the issue is word against word as far as the school and Police are concerned and both seeing their hands as therefore tied. 

Should it get to the stage where you meet the criteria to escalate it to the NI Public Services Ombudsman (link outlining below) open a case then direct MLA or even better supporting MP to chase them, nothing moves faster in the public sector than when an elected official is on their case. Likewise with the Police Ombudsman if you feel the action or lack there of would be incorrect on their part to date.

If not already done so, I'd strongly suggest via GP seeking a form of mental health assessment to establish the mental health impact side, this would help in demonstrating injury caused in all aspects, if this was then to worsen sue everyone involved.

With regard to body camera, have the Police suggested this in writing at all and specifically included the intention of within a school? Have the school been advised or consented etc, I'd hate to think that was the advice off the cuff by an ill thinking junior officer which very quickly could find other parents going mad and heading to media etc the headlines sensationalised. Echoing other comment on this, I would be fearful of this making her more of a target than anything else. 

Is home to school transport provided under an Education Authority blue school bus pass? If so definitely chase them independently and not as part of a larger overall thing, make them start their own process too. All modern type yellow EA buses have internal CCTV now as do all TL vehicles. For either go directly to the depot concerned and require the manager to meet over it and always a plus to allude to 'legal advice' you may or may not have sought and been advised to approach them in this way (make them sit up). TL for example publicly big themselves up that all their depot managers are qualified child welfare protection officers... Put them on notice and move to doing all in writing ASAP to hold all to account. At the very least in either case drivers can in such circumstances be made aware and will keep a look out and in the event of something happening verbal or physical can at the very least be very credible witnesses where peers may not do so or CCTV of a sea of children proves fruitless. Behavioural issues can result in individual children being refused transport. Equally if under the EA home to school transport can be provided by taxi in certain circumstances, but not a solution in itself. The duty of care within that side is more or less independent from the school itself and will have its own policies and procedures. If paying for home to school transport by bus and it's a published timetabled school service, the same protections / duty of care would apply as having a bus pass.

Don't let it all melt into one big complaint where everyone is involved and no one thinks it's their problem as the other is in on it now. Schools policy, Police investigation, chase both and ask for an update and outline with timeline of what they have done to date (again "I have been advised to request......." , I'd keep any such interaction in writing via email only and to a specific persons work email address only as even a failure to respond would open up escalatory Ombudsman intervention (as little as that would achieve in itself it helps hold people to account). 'Lets sit down for a meeting' or telephone meetings etc leave no real accountability, if you feel it's not working stick to in writing only and make it clear why. Also if you have the support of an MP and or MLA keep in contact with them on as personal a level as you can, ask them if you can cc them into any email chains if for no other reason than for the other party to see they are acutely involved at all times and keep them focused. It's all too easy to think 15 yo only another 8 months of term time left until likely not our problem anymore...  

Random one also, don't underestimate the power of an overweight over paid big mouth when on your side... Start pestering Nolan if you dare, call, email and social media begin any opening contact with something catchy like in the above 'bullies shot my....'. Genuinely that marmite of a man could actually make things happen in the space of a few days that following the lead of individuals yourself can be fobbed off indefinitely. 

With regard to the 'BB gun' in Northern Ireland air powered articles such as this for several years now are legally classed as firearms and a firearms certificate is required (over 1 joule I think) broadly speaking anything merely resembling a pistol is banned now even paintball guns unless long barrelled additionally it is illegal to carry such a thing in a public place without lawful authority, even one below the low powered threshold would likely be classed as an imitation firearm. That would be something worth quizzing the officer dealing with the 'investigation' as it adds an entirely new element to the now banded around willy nilly 'hate crime'. Imitation firearm in a school setting might bring a different aspect of importance to how it's prioritised... Have they sought to locate the reported article at all and establish it's legality? Consult MP / MLA / Nolan on that one too.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/dealing-bullying-and-getting-support

Thanks. Nolan’s involved, as is the likes of Belfast live and a few others. 
None are able to get into it with the investigation ongoing. 

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, UndertheRadar said:

Thanks. Nolan’s involved, as is the likes of Belfast live and a few others. 
None are able to get into it with the investigation ongoing. 

What a tube, 90% of Nolan's shows are responded to with the same line live on the air when he pesters them cold from little more than a call his team has just taken. 

A question for school principal or board of governors / Police "if these individuals did any of this to a member of the teaching staff, would you treat it any differently, if so can you explain why that is?" That'd harden them!

If back to school on Friday/Monday I hope your daughter has a better atmosphere than before and that the toxic morons involved have matured a fraction over the summer and move on. I hope she understands that they are just worthless souls on the fast track to a pointless life. Some day they may have a daughter of their own and remember how they acted and feel ashamed.  

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

4 hours ago, FUBAR said:

What a tube, 90% of Nolan's shows are responded to with the same line live on the air when he pesters them cold from little more than a call his team has just taken. 

A question for school principal or board of governors / Police "if these individuals did any of this to a member of the teaching staff, would you treat it any differently, if so can you explain why that is?" That'd harden them!

If back to school on Friday/Monday I hope your daughter has a better atmosphere than before and that the toxic morons involved have matured a fraction over the summer and move on. I hope she understands that they are just worthless souls on the fast track to a pointless life. Some day they may have a daughter of their own and remember how they acted and feel ashamed.  

Hear-hear!

A lot of text there and it seems awful. I was advising someone else the other day about a similar but less serious bullying campaign where the school was being unhelpful.

I would urge caution regarding the use of body cameras. they count as CCTV and there are strict rules around their use. If you intent for the camera to be used without warning then it may be considered surveillance. Unfortunately you may find the police more interested in doing somthing about your daughters use of cctv than the bullying since it's easier to prove.
https://www.saferhighways.co.uk/post/clearway-is-it-legal-to-wear-a-body-camera-in-the-uk
That is for the UK not NI but I belive the rules should be fairly similar across the whole EU.

General advice around complaining to the public sector. You must play the game. The complaints procedures are set in stone, if you deviate from the path it allows your complaint to be rejected or overlooked and often it cannot be repeated (double jeopardy almost).
I do not know the procedure in NI but it it likely to be similar to this -
Stage 1 with school
Stage 2 with Local council or education authority
Stage 3 with Public Sector ombudsman
'Stage 4' legal action via national courts or ECHR.

Learn the process and do everything in writing. If you follow the process the school is locked into it. But you must follow the process, no short cuts. It will take longer than you want it to.

Complain through official channels, and escalate at approriate points. Know the rules and laws that apply to the school. Use FOI to apply for copies of policies and procedures. Use non-adherance to their own rules within your letters and emails. Use their own words and phrases e.g. "duty provide a safe learning environment",
Be unemotional and polite. If meetings are face to face insist on minuting and take your own minutes. You will probably be entitled to have an advocate (not necessarily a lawyer, in fact avoid lawyers) or supporting person with you.
Do not insist on audio recording meetings you may not have right to do this but you can ask, if all present agree you can but at the start of the recording ask the questions again "I am recording this meeting [location date], [ask attendees to state their names], say [can I ask if anyone objects to me recording this meeting?]. If anyone changes their mind you must stop recording, you will have to provide a copy of the recording if requested.
Do not raise your voice or insult anyone or make unfounded allegations (if you are agressive the meeting can be shut down and the authority may move to label you as an unreasonably complainant).
Do not threaten legal action or send letters from solicitors since this can trigger legal action rules closing down the complaint
Do not carpet bomb the organsations involved with emails or letters, you may get labelled as a 'Vexatious' or 'Querelous' complainant.

This does sound like everything is weighted against you BUT if you stay to the path of the process and you educate yourself you will actually start to have the upper hand since it's likely the school does not know its own rules or legal obligations all that well, they will almost certainly have been complacent. If you know what is going on better than them you will start to see where to kick them where it hurts and exactly what words to use..

There is also the principle of In Loco Parentis which is the school acting as a child's guardian but as to whether that applies on a school bus is unclear. I found one reference from England - "If they are paying for themselves, then their parents are responsible. If they are over 16, they are. If the local authority subsidises their travel, they are the local authority's responsibility."

NI law might well be different.

Good luck, must be awful.

[edit I've added some more info around recording meetings]
I used to manage the team that carried out the stage 2 in a local authority although I wasn't involved myself.
All the policies and procesures around complaints will be published online somewhere so I'd start there are familiarise youself with that. You may find you are partway through already.

Edited by Aspman
  • Thanks 1