York - places to visit?

Gaz

Mrs Gaz and I are coming up to York for a week's break next month, staying just a few miles north.  York, because neither of us have been there before.  We're really looking forward it :nod:

I can look at 'Places to visit...', but was interested in any recommendations of places to not miss visiting?  Maybe in a 40/50 mile radius.  I'll have my folding bike, so cycleways and nice walks are welcome.

We're not adrenalin junkies, and like the sedate life.  More likely to got to viewpoints, forests, wildlife areas, museums and stately homes than amusement arcades and nightclubs.  We want to see the Minster, Robin Hood's Bay, probably Dalby Forest, and the Jorvik centre.  We like getting away from the crowds.

So there we go folks, and particular recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Gaz

Edited by Gaz

Some suggestions....

York Designer Outlet Shopping Centre (catch Park & Ride bus from York centre)

Fountains Abbey

Castle Howard

Harrogate

Skipton

• Thanks 1

We stopped at York purely for the Jorvik centre, as the wife had been banging on about it for years.

Didn't see much else of the area, really.

However, on your way back down, take a good half-day or more to visit Bolsover Castle. Avoid their cafe food, but do take the time to explore every area and soak it all in.

• Like 1

Ye Olde Sausage shop in the Shambles and get a pork pie. Best I've ever had.
Lots of really good pubs, the one at the railway is excellent.

The Minster is worth a look round. Never been to Yorvik but it's good allegedly.
Harrogate is also worth a visit I'm told.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dont bother with harrogate gaz not worth the ride theres nowt there compared to york ,pop into bettys tho and buy you and the missis a yorkshire fat rascal ,bit of a treat 👍

Edited by Mickvrs220
  • Like 1

Railway museum is ace and free.

North Yorkshire Moors Railway is nice and not very far away.

Lots of lovely walking on the moors. 

Robin Hoods bay is a beautiful little spot but a bit further from York and there is a steep slope down (and up!) to the sea. Hit it at low tide and its a lovely walk along the beach.

• Like 1

The York Bird of Prey centre is well worth a visit if you like that sort of thing.  Looks a bit ramshackle at first, but once you're in they have some beautiful birds 😎  and very knowledgeable staff.  It was tipping it down  when we arrived, so we had pretty much 1:1 with the staff and birds.

Highlight for me was getting buzzed by a Peregrine at c.45mph (Mrs Gaz and I were sat shoulder to shoulder on a bin liner as the bench was wet from rain, and the Peregrine flew between our heads!) and sharing a bench with a Great Grey Owl:

IMG_7861.thumb.jpeg.e7ba28de0efa048276169da143fe7162.jpeg

Mrs Gaz had a Golden Eagle on her arm, then some Owls:

IMG_7801.thumb.jpeg.aee157e3ada9bf338bfbbbfb7922d1d3.jpeg

And she got to hold a Barn Owl chick - cute little fluffball:

IMG_7816.thumb.jpeg.f5ecd0f98fa034c2f32607aaa70b2c11.jpeg

We're home now - 285 miles in just over five hours.  Thoroughly enjoyed our trip to York - we'll probably go back to see some of the places we never made it to.

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
typo
  • Like 2
  • Love it! 2