Owning/Buying A Mk1 Superb in 2023

Hxrryyo

Evening Guys 

new member to Briskoda here and my first post! 

Was looking at getting a different daily driver and kept seeing pics and videos of mk1 superbs online and quite fancy one! Ideally want a 1.9tdi pd130 manual model but seems harder than first thought! I’ve had history with Skodas before (2 Mk1 Fabia vrs’) so kinda know a thing or 2 about pd130s but not a whole lot about superbs. I’ve done abit of research and kinda want to stay away from the 2.5tdi which seem to be everywhere at the minute! Any help appreciated with regards to common issues I should look out for etc! 

thanks in advance! 

Had ours nearly 8 years, service it every year and she's on 200k. Still drives well, wouldn't part with it. If they have been looked after you can't go wrong. Check through all the threads, water ingress through the pollen filter is worth a read. 

My first Skoda was a Mk1 V6TDI and was a cracker.  Very reliable and wafted along lovely.  But I think you're right in looking for a 1.9.

I think the biggest thing in my ownership was water getting in through the dreaded pollen filter and drowning the CCM.  Easy enough to check and quite straightforward to remove the filter housing and seal it properly.  Early signs are odd electrical gremlins associated, and of course water under the carpet in the passenger front footwell.

Good luck with your hunting.

Gaz

• 3 weeks later...

My 2003 mkI Superb 1.9pd 100 was a fab car and the 1.9pd 130 will be even better. Cruised amazingly well, always did 50ish mpg , amazing room, refined and my favourite bit was the comfortable suspension. I rather miss the 750miles + range on a tank of diesel.

If you find a good one great but check a few things:-

• As already mentioned check the pollen filter seal/water under the carpet - fortunately mine was always ok, probably as I had the dash / climate control removed when under warranty(faulty recerc servo) gasket replaced. Check drains in the plenum chamber inc under battery.
  • Vacuum system controlling EGR/Variable Vanes on turbo and anti shudder - does the engine shudder when you turn off? This valve is easily visible at high level with the bonnet up on the drivers side. Lever should move on engine turn off. You can get leaks if the rubber pipes have rotted or the hard plastic pipes have rubbed through somewhere (as mine did).
  • Rust is a thing - check everywhere especially sills, wheel arches etc.. I sold my old car to a friend in 2015 and it lasted until last year (nearly 300k miles) but terminally failed its MOT re structural rust on sills (remove those rubber bungs to check for water!!!)
  • Front suspension can need expensive repairs that are difficult to do on old cars as things seize up. 
  • Check climate control works.

If I could go back in time and buy a new one again - I would!!

Edited by bigjohn