Mk3 Octavia wheels on a Mk 3 Superb?

Jono

I'm just thinking ahead for my next car, and I wondered if the spare/winter wheels I have for my Octy 3 would be worth keeping for use on a Mk 3 Superb - should I join the Superb-club

I'm struggling to understand if the wheels would be usable - allowing for the fact that it might well need a different tyre fitment

These are the Octy wheel fitment,

225/50R17 94W 7Jx17 ET45

From what I can tell its a 5mm offset difference and would have a 1.7% smaller rolling circumference versus this Superb fitment

215/55R17 94V 7Jx17 ET40

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

The smaller tyres will rotate 1.7% faster. This will result in a greater offset between GPS and Speedo and also the same offset in odometer (car will think it's travelled 1.7% further than actual).

In terms of how it will function. 11.5mm diameter difference is the equivalent of swapping out a single worn tyre when all others are brand new (assuming 8mm tread depth on new). Should be fine for emergency use or swapping all 4.

Once worn I would change to a more specified size.

The last issue may be insurance and whether they will cover the slight change.

Just now, JR RS said:

The Octavia wheels will look so small and lost inside the big wheel arches of the Superb.

I'm not convinced. Both 17s and the Octavia being 5mm further in but a wider tyre should make the rubber sit in the same spot. If you feel that way inclined then some spacers will fix it.

2 hours ago, Jono said:

I'm just thinking ahead for my next car, and I wondered if the spare/winter wheels I have for my Octy 3 would be worth keeping for use on a Mk 3 Superb - should I join the Superb-club

I'm struggling to understand if the wheels would be usable - allowing for the fact that it might well need a different tyre fitment

These are the Octy wheel fitment,

225/50R17 94W 7Jx17 ET45

From what I can tell its a 5mm offset difference and would have a 1.7% smaller rolling circumference versus this Superb fitment

215/55R17 94V 7Jx17 ET40

Any thoughts?

The outside diameter of 225/50R17 is only 1.1% smaller than the 215/60R16 tyre.

215/60R16 is the entry level tyre size for the Superb MK3.

The 215/60R16 uses a 6.5Jx16 ET41 rim, so if you were selecting your own rim from scratch for the 225/50R17 you might choose 7Jx17 ET44, ie. almost identical to 7Jx17 ET45.

225/50R17 should have noticeably more cornering grip than the narrower and higher profile 215/55R17.

I'm a big fan of Vredestein Quatrac 6. However, Vredestein don't make this model in sizes bigger than 16" diameter, except for 225/45R17 and 225/50R17. So by choosing 225/50R17 instead of 215/55R17 you too can experience this excellent and economical all-season tyre. It's one of the few all-season tyres that has longer tread life than the Michelin CrossClimate 2. One review claimed 43,000 miles for the CrossClimate 2 but 46,000 miles for the Quatrac 6. In cold, wet weather, the Quatrac 6 has about 5% more grip than the excellent CrossClimate 2. So if you don't get much snow, but gets lots of cold rain, the Quatrac 6 could be the better choice.

Vredestein Quatrac 6 225/50R17 98V XL (Euro label C B 71dB) (3PMSF) (all-season)

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m140b0s8019p221178/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac_6_225_50_R17_98V_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_B_Noise%3A_71dB

The below rim is from the Kodiaq, and with its ET40 offset would give the car a slightly wider stance compared to ET45.

7Jx17 ET40 5/112 57.1 Ratikon (from Kodiaq)

Alu kolo Ratikon 17" Kodiaq

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/alu-kolo-ratikon-17-kodiaq/p/565071497A+8Z8

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1