Still 13 years to save up for a new petrol/diesel

Sad555

20 hours ago, J.R. said:

That wont work in Europe 😄

Doesn't stop hundreds of Brits in my area still using them with adaptors though, the adaptors being a ticking time bomb as they cant handle anywhere near a 13 amp sustained load and the connections to the pins become unscrewed inside creating arcs then a fire.

Nearly all of the electrical items for sale on the facebook groups say "UK plug" 😒 but then I suppose anyone younger than me is unlikely to have ever gained the skill and experience to fit or change a plug.

I'm not suggesting using a 13 amp plug, @J.R..

Just have a standard. It can be done.

It can be buggered up, too. USB is supposed to be a standard. But there's USB-A, USB-B, USB-C, USB-Mini, USB-Micro, but things seem to be settling on USB-C.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stonekeeper said:

I thought the Hybrid Octavia was now cheaper than the 2.0 litre diesel option?

623323557_Screenshot2023-09-22at20-25-56Chooseanengine.png.48a0a934cef712d137b1e0854e60cca6.png1473082104_Screenshot2023-09-22at20-25-38Chooseanengine.png.84cbbeee21e76b1473b04bfa6a493630.png

Figures from Skoda car configurator

Or am I doing something wrong?

Love the disparity between the CO2 outputs of those vehicles.

I expect the narrative will shift to CO2 not being so bad after all because NOX is the real problem. For now.

Then particulates.

Then micro-plastics.

Ad infinitum.

• Like 1

@StonekeeperThere are a couple of threads in the section on EV,s about towing.

There are charger hubs that suit vehicles towing pulling in and charging, be with Electric Vans towing or cars.

Maybe few and far between but those towing will tend to try and find out before setting off.

Then there are those like i have seen when at chargers who arrive, unhitch the caravan and then go to a charger.

Even the idiots that really could not care less if where the van is left in an awkward place for others.

The more annoying thing i am aware of and i have spoken about this to others at chargers are EV drivers charging the car at chargers to then run the caravan off from their KIA or Hyundai at the site.

Even parking the car on 7 kW chargers maybe even free for the day not because they will be using the car just the electricity on the van.

There is an issue though for EV drivers maybe on Residential Sites needing to charge their cars because Public charging in the area is pathetic and that is the cost of EV charging 

at these locations.

This can be Families with a disabled member and an EV from Motability and these vehicles are not cheap and have pretty poor range & it would be good if they could use the limited number of local chargers, but sadly Big Battery EV driving caravaners are occupying chargers.

eg South West Scotland / South Ayrshire.  But then that is the greed you get when charging is free and there is no max limit to charging time.......

Many more of this type of Hubs are required in Scotland. & around the UK.

Long bays and long charger cables.

@Stonekeeper

Expensive here now. 

7 kW chargers 45 pence a KWh so that is park and ride. Or charge and bog off or hang about.

100 / 150 kW (so your 50 kW if that is all you need.) 

80 pence a kWh. 

That would be £8.00 for 10 kWh and if you did get 4 miles a kWh that is for 40 miles.

Towing and 2.7 miles a kWh then 27 miles for £8.00

EDIT.

I see on ZapMap it is now charged by off peak or peak times.

65 pence / 88 pence.

7 kW chargers 25 pence a kWh.    36 chargers and 35 showing available.

*** PlugShare showing totally different out of date pricing.***

Charge Place Scotland showing 7 kW is 35 pence or 45 pence offpeak / peak.

& the 65 or 88 pence.

THIS IS WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT WHEN TRYING TO PLAN STOPS, assuming you have reception on a phone or a Wifi connection which in Scotland is not guaranteed.

I regularly try to get ZapMap or PlugShare to update Charger Info. it can be months behind actual T&C,s or prices.

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, EnterName said:

Love the disparity between the CO2 outputs of those vehicles.

I expect the narrative will shift to CO2 not being so bad after all because NOX is the real problem. For now.

Then particulates.

Then micro-plastics.

Ad infinitum.

I forgot methane.

Methane is why you won't be allowed to eat much beef in the future. "Your love of unhealthy steak is boiling the planet!!!!!".

But you can eat all the insects you like.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/may/08/if-we-want-to-save-the-planet-the-future-of-food-is-insects

image.thumb.png.459510878165c4977c300d9a1a25ae48.png

1 hour ago, EnterName said:

I forgot methane.

Methane is why you won't be allowed to eat much beef in the future. "Your love of unhealthy steak is boiling the planet!!!!!".

But you can eat all the insects you like.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/may/08/if-we-want-to-save-the-planet-the-future-of-food-is-insects

image.thumb.png.459510878165c4977c300d9a1a25ae48.png

That would be an alternative fuel opportunity missed - 'drive while you parp' Quick MaryJane, have another bean salad, we're losing power!

• Haha 1

How is Lord Bamfords son Jo Bamfords Green Hyrdogen £1 billion investors getting on?

His hydrogen bus business Wrightbus should be doing very well. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo_Bamford

£11.2  Million Government cash this year for the Tory donor son,s business this year.

Edited by toot

Ann Gloag is selling off some of her properties.  Her and her brother did very well from their days running Berry busses in my area.   Very very well.  Maybe she will not end up in court over the recent issues or if she does can clear her name.    Hopefully the new busses will be less fire prone than the current ones.  

You might expect that the Billionaires like Ann Gloag & Brian Souter and the Bamford family will have invested lots into Hydrogen Production, their money,

especially the brother & sister that are Scottish born and where there is so much renewable electricity produced and not enough wanting it or being able to add value and produce the Green Energy since storage is lacking.

Screenshot 2023-09-23 15.03.12.png

Edited by toot
  • Like 1