'Ring' mark left on Dashboard after phone mount

Hi all.

I have a ring-shaped mark left on the dashboard after (stupidly) putting a suction mounted phone holder there.

I've tried cleaning and I've also tried the hair dryer method read online. The hair dryer did help clear it up a little bit but I'm reluctant to try any more in case I cause damage.

Kind of like this example below, but more obvious - 

Phone holder ring mark on dashboard - AudiWorld Forums

Any experts on here who have been able to fix this type of thing? It's the soft touch plastic right in front of the grill in the middle of the dash so it's always visible!

Hoping you can help and thanks in advance. 

Edited by foregonereality

As a first start, without going too all out, I'd try an all purpose cleaner first. Obviously, what you don't want, is to go at it with something aggressive and remove that mark only to be left with a replacement mark from some other permanent solvent or cleaner.. 

You could also try and buff with some vinyl protectant around the area and it should make all the area darker and mark leds noticeable.

That's a starting point. I wonder if the suction mount plastic has reacted a bit with that soft dash plastic.. 

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ApertureS said:

Are you sure it’s not where the sun hasn’t faded?

if so, I think you’ll struggle to sort out a bit that uv hasn’t faded 

The profile from op says Ireland... come on. Surely not!!. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Cheeky 1

I had this on my mk2 octavia.  Never came out completely unfortunately.  I learned to ignore it eventually.  Tried all sorts of things.  Didn't occur to me that the dash around might be faded.  Would explain alot.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replies.

What puzzles me is that I've only had the mount on the dash for less than three weeks. I took it off when I saw the complaints on an Audi forum only to discover I had it myself.

I might go down the road of seeing if a little detailer might help as I've only ever cleaned the dashboard with a damp microfibre - might help tint out the circle. 

I have no doubt the soft foam under the dash has been 'crushed' by the suction cup and the inside 'pulled up' and I wonder is that why the heat of the hair dryer helped me re-shape it that little bit. It bugs the life out of me as it's something that's always in my field of view. 

Thanks again for the suggestions. Can't believe I did this. 

I had the same problem and found that first wiping over the whole dash with a glossy dash cleaning cloth and doing the same with a Matt dash cleaning cloth solved the problem. Just used the cleaning cloths available from halfords and others

• Like 1

9 hours ago, foregonereality said:

Thank you all for the replies.

What puzzles me is that I've only had the mount on the dash for less than three weeks. I took it off when I saw the complaints on an Audi forum only to discover I had it myself.

I might go down the road of seeing if a little detailer might help as I've only ever cleaned the dashboard with a damp microfibre - might help tint out the circle. 

I have no doubt the soft foam under the dash has been 'crushed' by the suction cup and the inside 'pulled up' and I wonder is that why the heat of the hair dryer helped me re-shape it that little bit. It bugs the life out of me as it's something that's always in my field of view. 

Thanks again for the suggestions. Can't believe I did this. 

Shame you don’t have an Audi. You could have stuck it on three more times for the Audi rings in the dash 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Cheeky 1