Replacement stereo allowing use of Apple Air Play?

gsmdo

Hi there, I have the standard-fit Škoda stereo/GPS system fitted to my car:

IMG_8716.jpg

Recently, whilst travelling abroad, I got to use a rental car which had a system that allowed the use of Apple Air Play. I really liked this facility, and wonder whether there is an after-market unit that I could replace this with, that would allow the same function in the Superb? 

Thanks in anticipation,

Mike 😎

Not sure if i am allowed to link vendors on this site. but if you google search

Android Auto Sat Nav GPS CarPlay for skoda superb

you should find what you are looking and videos of how they can look as if they were there originally.

498873378_Screenshot2023-10-14at19-06-32SkodaOctaviaMK27AndroidSystemWithCarPlayAndroidAutoGPSNavigationMultimediaSystem.thumb.png.517115934e836329f2a36df873013439.png

Edited by Stonekeeper
  • Thanks 1

Does look like one, you can gently prise the facia off and it's four torx screws (size 25?) And it'll fall out.

What I cant find is what to do with the integrated airbag light from the stereo. If fitting a new one do you have to connect the airbag indicator and just leave it in the dash? Does it even come out of the stereo?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Edd 110 TDI Estate said:

Does look like one, you can gently prise the facia off and it's four torx screws (size 25?) And it'll fall out.

What I cant find is what to do with the integrated airbag light from the stereo. If fitting a new one do you have to connect the airbag indicator and just leave it in the dash? Does it even come out of the stereo?

I know the answer to that! I took the trim off some time ago for access to something or other and disconnected the LED. It led to an ABS light on the dash(!). I cleared it down with my OBDII gizmo...

According to the eBay vendor, I retain the surround trim, so it shouldn't be an issue...

Edited by gsmdo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Edd 110 TDI Estate said:

The airbag indicator is not part of the stereo, it's just attached to the facia, so you have to disconnect it if you remove the facia.

• Thanks 1

So - not quite as "Plug & Play" as it could be...

This is the rear off the Škoda unit....

IMG_8736.jpg

...and this is the replacement.

IMG_8740.jpg

The large multi-pin plug fits - and the unit fires up and has linked to my phone and CarPlay operates, but I'm trying to identify the function of the sockets on the original unit - with black, blue and white plugs - any ideas please?

IMG_8736%20copy.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by gsmdo

By the way (you don't get long to edit stuff here, do you?) - the original trim fits perfectly around the new unit when dry trialled... 😎

Thanks Langers.👍  The white dual plug seems to want to fit in the new dual socket, perhaps I should use a bit more application 😆 - I'll be using Waze via CarPlay for navigation, so if I can't connect the GPS it'll not be a huge loss. DAB was an option I didn't specify (although I can apparently buy a module later if I change my mind) - in the meantime I'll tape the lead off.

If it stops raining, I might actually fit the damned thing...🤨

36 minutes ago, langers2k said:

White is AM/FM.

Blue is GPS.

Black is DAB.

Do you happen to know if the mic will connect with the large plug? There is a separate mic and a GPS aerial supplied - and a socket for the mic, but I'd expect it to be incorporated in the multi-pin plug...🤔

OK - got the white plug(s) to fit - just needed the correct orientation. The GPS socket is a threaded one, whereas the aerial from the car is a coax push fit, so I have left it - as I have left the DAB. I intend to use Waze GPS via my iPhone, so don't need the car's antenna, and the unit doesn't have DAB (I think it's an option, but not one I needed, so didn't check further). I'm about to do a little out-of-sight surgery to the trim that fits over the heating controls, to allow the USB sockets to be accessed to charge my phone - and to connect it to CarPlay.

IMG_8758-4K.jpg

Done! I. have to iron a few wrinkles out - the 'splash' screen it opens with is a VW one(!); it doesn't automatically open in CarPlay - but these are minor snags, and I'll work out a way to sort them.

Unusually, even though my iPhone is 'hard-wired' via the USB charging and data cable, my audiobooks won't play over the speakers unless you are also linked by Bluetooth.

IMG_8755-4K.jpg

All the steering wheel controls are working as advertised, and the info usually displayed on the original unit - seat heaters, temp setting etc - are replicated on the new unit. I'd say it was as close to plug-and-play as you can get.

If I was installing one for someone else's car now, I estimate it would take 10 minutes or so.

It seems one can't put a link on here - so just search for eBay item 185779514166 - that's the one I bought.

Mike 😎

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

Oh - and the hands-free calling works without the supplied mic - so the original (which presumably routs through the multi-pin plug) is still active...👍

• Like 2

Looks good. What are you doing with the original unit? 

Hadn't really thought about it - probably keep it in a box in case I want to return it to stock - then throw it away in 20 years... 😆

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, gsmdo said:

Hadn't really thought about it - probably keep it in a box in case I want to return it to stock - then throw it away in 20 years... 😆

Thanks. Only asking as some of us are looking out for used bluetooth units to upgrade from the very basic radios.

So, one of the few snags with fitting the new head unit, was the incompatible fit of the car's GPS aerial. It wasn't hugely important to me, as the main purpose of the swap was to use Waze on CarPlay, where the GPS data is supplied by the phone. However, it's always best to have everything working if you can - right?

Well, Audio Tech Direct (who I bought the new head unit from) have a solution...

IMG_8822-X5.jpg

For £9.99 delivered, they will supply this electronic pigtail, which will screw onto the back of the new head unit, and fit the existing plug in the car. Once again, I don't think I can post a link, but the item number on eBay is 182750446135.

I'd also like to give a shout-out to Audio Tech Direct, who answered my questions late on a Friday evening and got the part delivered this morning - a thoroughly professional bunch of people. 👍

On 30/10/2023 at 11:15, gsmdo said:

By the way - if anyone wants my old Columbus unit - I'd be happy to let it go for £200 inc GB delivery...🤔

IMG_8716.jpg

Message sent     

Carl

• Thanks 1

On 30/10/2023 at 11:15, gsmdo said:

By the way - if anyone wants my old Columbus unit - I'd be happy to let it go for £200 inc GB delivery...🤔

IMG_8716.jpg

Original unit now sold 🙂