Real MPG On Superb Diesel 1.6

Hello all, I currently have a 2014 1.6 diesel golf, 104bph. Looking to switch to something newer and different with more space.  I do a big chunk of motorway miles, around 450 a week so MPG is a big thing for me. The Superb and the larger tank also are attractive!

What sort of MPG are people getting at the moment? In the Golf i'm getting mid 50's but wanting to go better than that!

Thanks in advance

Welcome.

If you drive the bigger heavier Superb the same way, speed, trips as you do your Golf do you really expect it to use less fuel? 

The larger tank would just mean when full when brimmed that was a bit more weight carried than the smaller tank brimmed. 

Interesting.

2013-2015 are Euro 5 emissions and had Defeat Devices / Cheating of emissions, and ones that got the Fix, got new engine management & an airflow device fitted.

late 2015/ early 2016 on are Euro 6 emissions, and from 2018 will be covered by having the WLTP figures.  

Real world is real world though, in somebodies world.  Just a driver, or some load or full revenue weight usage. 

Honest John now owned by Heycar owned by VW / Daimler. 

My 1.6tdi DSG Estate averages 61mpg through the year,  in wintertime less ( 59mpg ) in summertime more ( 63mpg ). I've never got close to 77.8mpg as stated above and I drive very sedately with 90% of my journeys sitting in 7th in lane 1 of the motorway doing 60 - 70mph.

@Gammyleg  Is that actually getting 590 miles, or 610 miles from 10 gallons, or 630 miles for 10 gallons? 

Winter Diesel time now and if not actually colder than a couple of weeks ago the efficiency might be better not worse.

eg, not taking longer to heat up, no extra heating / lighting needed.  

If just a bit colder then denser air and less grip / traction on roads so not really winter weather.

8 minutes ago, Gammyleg said:

My 1.6tdi DSG Estate averages 61mpg through the year,  in wintertime less ( 59mpg ) in summertime more ( 63mpg ). I've never got close to 77.8mpg as stated above and I drive very sedately with 90% of my journeys sitting in 7th in lane 1 of the motorway doing 60 - 70mph.

1960447612_Screenshot2023-10-25at13-16-50SkodaSuperbEstate(2015on)1.6TDI120DSG-RealMPGHonestJohn.png.d00822a2e3fd195c854fc2a863cd8268.png

2 hours ago, Rooted said:

@Gammyleg  Is that actually getting 590 miles, or 610 miles from 10 gallons, or 630 miles for 10 gallons? 

Winter Diesel time now and if not actually colder than a couple of weeks ago the efficiency might be better not worse.

eg, not taking longer to heat up, no extra heating / lighting needed.  

If just a bit colder then denser air and less grip / traction on roads so not really winter weather.

This is what I've tracked over the years I've had the car. Not sure of the whys or wherefores, but the trend is summer good, winter not so, however long term getting better!

image.thumb.png.e575ae36d14a8073973c2a0d21f2281b.png

Edited by Gammyleg
Added final however
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nathancommutes said:

Hello all, I currently have a 2014 1.6 diesel golf, 104bph. Looking to switch to something newer and different with more space.  I do a big chunk of motorway miles, around 450 a week so MPG is a big thing for me. The Superb and the larger tank also are attractive!

What sort of MPG are people getting at the moment? In the Golf i'm getting mid 50's but wanting to go better than that!

Thanks in advance

I live in Ireland and drive pretty carefully with a lot of anticipation. I can get it close to ~5.0-~5.1lt / 100 km on average. I live in a suburban area so not that much proper city driving (you'll hit +6l/100km there). I have pretty narrow tyres  (215mm) but then a wife and three kids. If you do motorway at around 110km/h you'll also get close to 5l/100km, if you go 120km/h you'll you'll be closer to 5.5l/100km.

• 3 weeks later...

That is too much for a diesel engine, they only enrich the mixture for a matter of seconds compared to a petrol engine that has to do so until the cylinder block reaches operating temperature and the thermostat opens, the economy gain of a diesel engine is massively magnified in winter cold start short journey conditions, once the diesel cycle is self sustaining without the glowplugs no enrichment is needed, perhaps a tiny amount for emissions or to preheat a catastrophic convertor/DPF.

55mpg is still respectable but of it doesnt rise in the spring then you can be sure its another problem.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

55mpg is still respectable but of it doesnt rise in the spring then you can be sure its another problem.

If you look at my chart earlier in this thread, it seems to be an annual event. The mpg recorded is the rolling average of 4 fill ups rather than individual tankfuls. I can only guess that its a combination of temperature, humidity, lights on, & change to winter fuel.

I fill up at the same petrol station, usually the same pump even and have done for the last 3 years, every Friday morning.

As you say 55mpg is pretty good.

Edited by Gammyleg
rolling
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So as per the OP's original question

On 25/10/2023 at 10:50, Nathancommutes said:

Thanks in advance

From Gammyleg's extensive data, it looks like the Superb 3 will at least equal the Golf 3's economy: Very credible performance for such an enormous car!

This might seem like a silly question OP, but have you also considered an Octavia 3 1.6/Greenline? it's in-keeping yet bigger than the equivalent Golf and should be great on Fuel too..

FWIW I used to see 630+ miles easily from my old 2013 Octavia 3 1.6 Non-Greenline, and that car was fitted with the not so nice 5 speed manual gearbox.

I think the 110bhp 1.6Tdi might be slightly more economical than the older 105bhp Tdi, which is what mine was...