Yeti 16 inch wheel trims (covers)

oldstan

Anyone had recent experience of buying a set of plastic (ideally proper Skoda) wheel covers (16" steel wheels).

The original ones were called RIF . There has been posts on here but some time ago ... am after a set but not keen on paying £100

Ta.

On 12/11/2023 at 13:22, oldstan said:

Anyone had recent experience of buying a set of plastic (ideally proper Skoda) wheel covers (16" steel wheels).

The original ones were called RIF . There has been posts on here but some time ago ... am after a set but not keen on paying £100

Ta.

Try getting a price from a VAG parts department for these set of four 16" Yeti wheel trims using OEM part number 5L0071456 Z31. Notice that the format of this OEM part number is xxx071xxx. This format is for parts from the accessory catalogue, so might be cheaper than Skoda's normal price for factory wheel trims.

Poklice Satellite 16"

Poklice Satellite 16"

set of four of these wheel trims is listed on "skoda eshop cz" for 1,829CZK (about £64.90). "skoda eshop cz" don't appear to ship to the UK.

Edited by Carlston

Thanks for taking ther trouble ^^^^^

I had wondered about stopping by at my local main dealer (much as would pain me to darken their doorstep and encounter the sharp suited 21 year old woman who I expect would drag herself from behind a computer and sidle over to me whilst cursing me for interrupting her schedule .... yes, I well remember the days when you queued at the parts counter of a Standard Triumph dealership and would place your order courtesy of a microfiche projector with a 59 year old parts man in a brown coat who would withdraw to a well stocked repository stuffed with a myriad shelves groaning under the weight of a million bits each with their own number and emerge with something that you know would take ages to fit but was necessary in order to get it through the MOT.

Anyway ...... the wheel trims illustrated above are a bit too "open" for me ... I prefer the more "closed in" design of the RIF.

I'll keep the ones that are on there (and have been almost from new having been sourced at Maccess - before they, disastrously, went out of business) and brace meself for the outlay of a £100 and expect them to last another 12 years.

Thanks again.

• Haha 1

Back in 2015? I sourced a set of 16" steel rims and winter tyres. I then looked for some wheel covers, but got fed up when seeing the price of the genuine Skoda Yeti model. Unfortunately the 3rd party generic trims where terrible in quality so I ended up buying genuine Skoda. I did manage to get the price down though as I think I bought those for the Superb. My advice would be buy Skoda but consider those from other models as only a total anorak would notice the difference.

Colin

On 13/11/2023 at 21:24, oldstan said:

having been sourced at Maccess - before they, disastrously, went out of business)

Yes that was a savage blow to me as well, the writing was on the wall though after they closed the very busy London Mitcham branch and moved over to an on line ordering and delivery service, they went from being the best of the best physical motor trade cash & carry outlet to probably the worst on line supplier.

I'm hearing what you're saying, Colin.

I sort of spotted references to Superb etc but wasn't sure the fit is the same. I have black painted steel wheels from a Skoda dealer so feel more confident now.

Strangely, after having owned the  wheel trims all that time, yesterday I foolishly hit a kerb and broke one, so the matter is even more focussed as we speak. I will also be thinking about a new set of tyres having had the present ones on there for 11 years. (that should start a few tongues wagging).

Edited by oldstan

Having not been able to find four OEM covers at a sensible price I finished up with 4 after market covers from Trago Mills. I think they might have mispriced them, or perhaps they  were end of line but at £12 for a set I was quite happy especially as the Skoda emblems from the old set transferred over a treat and, to be honest, they look fine. After all they're purely cosmetic and serve no practical purpose at all.

Additionally I decided that as the tyres were over 12 years old I should replace them  with 4 Goodyear Vector All Seasons Gen 3. They're ordered and will be fitted in a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldstan said:

Here's one of the wheel trims - not bad for £3 each, eh? 🙂

IMG_20231127_113219167.jpg

The trims look good but if you're buying All Season Goodyear's why do you need both summer and all season tyres? I used to have summer and winter tyres but swapped to Goodyear All Season's to avoid the twice yearly swapping. Honestly the All Seasons are so good all year round that its pointless to have 2 sets of wheels for summer and winter.

All noted, Expat. Ta.

I haven't clarified that the OEM alloys and the summer Dunlops that are on them (from new, and which are now permanently stored in the garage wrapped in blankets) won't go back on the car until such time as I sell it. 

I honestly couldn't decide what to do, I could have got shot of the steel wheels and the 12 year old winter Dunlops that are currently on them and put 4 new All Seasons on the alloys - or do what I've done.

I got fed up swapping the summers and winters over twice a year and in all honesty my usage doesn't dictate that I must have summers and winters in place, but a set of decent All Seasons is a sufficient compromise for my purposes. 

There were maybe 3 or 4 premium quality All Season makes that I'd have been happy with and went for the Goodyear Vector Gen 3 as they get consistently good reviews and were available at a comparatively decent price at Black Circles, fitted by a local, trusted, company.

As it happens the Vectors would have been a bit cheaper if I'd put them on the alloys (and that would have meant I need not store them any more) but sods law woud have dictated that I'd have kerbed them as soon as I replaced them on the car and they definitely aren't cheap to replace. They are currently as new and whoever gets the car in X number of years time will be pleased with them, albeit they'll definitely need new tyres by then on age grounds ... even though there's 4 or 5mm of tread left in them. 

Edited by oldstan

1 hour ago, Frenchtone said:

Try the link, Super skoda/kopacek

[email protected]

I did look and a set of OEM is £91 delivered.

Nice as they are I think I'm happier to stick with the ones I have (at £12 for the set). It's not that I can't pay for them but they're vulnerable to mishaps and The ones I have do actually look good enough for me.

Ta 

43 minutes ago, oldstan said:

All noted, Expat. Ta.

I haven't clarified that the OEM alloys and the summer Dunlops that are on them (from new, and which are now permanently stored in the garage wrapped in blankets) won't go back on the car until such time as I sell it. 

I honestly couldn't decide what to do, I could have got shot of the steel wheels and the 12 year old winter Dunlops that are currently on them and put 4 new All Seasons on the alloys - or do what I've done.

I got fed up swapping the summers and winters over twice a year and in all honesty my usage doesn't dictate that I must have summers and winters in place, but a set of decent All Seasons is a sufficient compromise for my purposes. 

There were maybe 3 or 4 premium quality All Season makes that I'd have been happy with and went for the Goodyear Vector Gen 3 as they get consistently good reviews and were available at a comparatively decent price at Black Circles, fitted by a local, trusted, company.

As it happens the Vectors would have been a bit cheaper if I'd put them on the alloys (and that would have meant I need not store them any more) but sods law woud have dictated that I'd have kerbed them as soon as I replaced them on the car and they definitely aren't cheap to replace. They are currently as new and whoever gets the car in X number of years time will be pleased with them, albeit they'll definitely need new tyres by then on age grounds ... even though there's 4 or 5mm of tread left in them. 

I can understand your thinking. I’m one of the 16” wheel group so kerbing is not a real concern with 60 profile tyres! They also provide a comfier ride more suitable to my 70+ old bones. Anyway your new wheeltrims look good, just a pity you won’t get to enjoy the alloys.

All noted.

You're right when you say the 16 inch set up offers those advantages. Hence being swayed in that direction.  The car's 12 years old and, whilst it remains in cracking condition with no car park dings, I honestly don't mind the look of the steel and plastic. The older I get I seem to be be more pragmatic as opposed to picky. 

I admit to being a little bit fearful of the DSG failing as I realise a repair could be horrendous so I continue to treat it with utmost caution and just live in hope.

Ta.

20 minutes ago, oldstan said:

All noted.

You're right when you say the 16 inch set up offers those advantages. Hence being swayed in that direction.  The car's 12 years old and, whilst it remains in cracking condition with no car park dings, I honestly don't mind the look of the steel and plastic. The older I get I seem to be be more pragmatic as opposed to picky. 

I admit to being a little bit fearful of the DSG failing as I realise a repair could be horrendous so I continue to treat it with utmost caution and just live in hope.

Ta.

I'm in the same position, albeit with a 7 year old Yeti. Difficult to find a replacement with all the attributes and character of a Yeti. I will probably swap my Yeti for a VW T-Roc next year as I don't want the bother of things needing replacing or repairing. I will miss the Yeti though.

On 26/11/2023 at 19:57, oldstan said:

.... I finished up with 4 after market covers from Trago Mills.....

Good ol' Trago Mills 😄

PS  Just seen this:

"...I admit to being a little bit fearful of the DSG failing as I realise a repair could be horrendous so I continue to treat it with utmost caution and just live in hope...."

I'm beginning to think that my Yeti just might be my last car (and currently at around 43K).  The thought struck me that, on that basis, the possible cost of a DSG problem (horrendous, as you say), even plus a few other bits, is still less that of 'downgrading' to a newer non-Yeti.  Happy bunny! 

Edited by Brijo

1 hour ago, Brijo said:

Good ol' Trago Mills 😄

PS  Just seen this:

"...I admit to being a little bit fearful of the DSG failing as I realise a repair could be horrendous so I continue to treat it with utmost caution and just live in hope...."

I'm beginning to think that my Yeti just might be my last car (and currently at around 43K).  The thought struck me that, on that basis, the possible cost of a DSG problem (horrendous, as you say), even plus a few other bits, is still less that of 'downgrading' to a newer non-Yeti.  Happy bunny! 

Interestingly I was in correspondence with the Editor of one of the biggest selling Motor Magazines about the advantages of petrol v EV’s and mention I had a Yeti, he replied saying in his view the Yeti is one of  the finest “regular” cars ever made, he has one and intends on keeping it. Mind you he also has more modern cars as well.

Edited by Expatman

On 27/11/2023 at 22:07, Expatman said:

Interestingly I was in correspondence with the Editor of one of the biggest selling Motor Magazines about the advantages of petrol v EV’s and mention I had a Yeti, he replied saying in his view the Yeti is one of  the finest “regular” cars ever made, he has one and intends on keeping it. Mind you he also has more modern cars as well.

He's one of many in his opinion of the Yeti, but his position makes it one of note. 

Going off at a tangent, I've now had this Yeti longer than my previous non-Yeti (an 'original' X-Trail).  The two Yetis together, at just over 11 years, now hold the ownership record over my beloved Volvo 240 Estate (quarter of a century ago) at nearly ten. 

Be safe!