Infotainment Issues - Booked In To Skoda Workshop - Any Advice?

spcdust

Octavia Estate Mk4 SEL First Edition SEL (2021)

Hardware: H56

Software: 1896
Display Unit /control panel hardware: H44

Display Unit /control panel hardware:: 2088

Navigation Database: 23.8
Media Codec: 3.1.4

Appreciate the long road many have had to navigate to get their Infotainment system to work and, being a relatively new owner of a Skoda Approved Used car need to sort out the mess that I have.  Booked in with Skoda dealership, under original manufacturer warranty, to sort, which I know will likely just be a software update to 1941.  Probably going to have to suck up software update solution initially, which I am not 100% convinced alone is the full answer.  Any advice others can offer as, to be honest, I really wonder wether it needs a replacement MCU, SOS module or other hardware replaced.  The prospect of repeat visits to workshop to get issues resolved is far from ideal.

These are the list of issues:

1. Reboots once or twice (Usually at start of journey).
2. Double pop noise from the dashboard (every journey).
3.  SOS unit becoming non functioning / going "offline" (virtually every journey)

4.  SAT Nav randomly goes haywire offsetting position of vehicle by 100 - 300 metres approximately for duration of journey - applies to built in Sat Nav and also Carplay Tom Tom Go.  Required forced reboot (On occasion).

5. Unable to become Primary User (Constant).

6. Settings taking a long time to load or fail to  load completely requiring forced reboot (Periodically).
7. Sometime system hangs completely and solution seems to be holding SOS button in for over a minute which seems to force a reboot (Occasionally).

It's such a great car and Infotainment system is fine, when it works, but it is currently so unreliable that it detracts from the enjoyment of driving the car.  It's also a safety issue as the other day I was on a long drive, predictably the Infotainment system had gone offline but later in the journey the Sat Nav went haywaire.  Tried rebooting using the On/Off button but repeatedly got stuck on Loading settings.  Only solution was to press the SOS button for over a minute which rebooted system and then reboot using On/Off button.  A time consuming process and not ideal driving on the M4 motorway.

Any advice appreciated and thanks in advance.

An update to 1941 should sort some of those things but the SOS problem may require a replacement unit, mine did.

Hopefully the dealer will get it sorted for you though it may take a few visits. Push for a no-cost loan car as they might need it for a few days.

read the last one or two pages of this thread:

Make sure that they also update the module firmware as the 1941 on it's own only made my POP POP worse... I think the dealers are aware of the issues and there is TPI in place

Edited by MrOlympic
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, MrOlympic said:

read the last one or two pages of this thread:

Make sure that they also update the module firmware as the 1941 on it's own only made my POP POP worse... I think the dealers are aware of the issues and there is TPI in place

Thanks - good advice.  That’s precisely my concern, they just apply an update without considering the bigger picture in terms of individual parts firmware updates.

Will read through that thread as well but, Just to clarify, in case I don’t pick up the relevant info - which module should I make sure they update and what is a TPI?

Edited by spcdust

I went in with the same information, gave then the tpi code, and when I collected it they told me it had been done. Switched on the car, and it was still on 1896. They basically lied and said they had done it, when they hadn't. When I pointed this out they tried to say it might have downgraded while I was waiting to collect it (another lie). Then they said the update can't be done by the garage anymore and had to be over the air (another lie). I hope your dealer is better than the Letchworth marshals branch.

• Like 2
  • Groan 1

So theyre always cryptic with exactly as to what they've done and I've also slept since then :)

I believe you need the SOS module firmware update as well as the 1941 software update, if that doesn't take then they need to replace it, but that usually requires authorsiation from skoda.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrOlympic said:

So theyre always cryptic with exactly as to what they've done and I've also slept since then :)

I believe you need the SOS module firmware update as well as the 1941 software update, if that doesn't take then they need to replace it, but that usually requires authorsiation from skoda.

Good to know and backs up what I thought - the SOS unit needs some extra attention wether that's a firmware update or replacement.  I am going to leave a printed note in the car detailing all the issues and "pointers" for what they need to do.  If I just tell the person on the desk it won't get passed on down to the workshop who will often just do the bare minimum if they are busy.

• Like 2

I would take a photo of the status page on the screen (the data in opening post), and print it, and when you go to collect the keys ask receptionist what has been changed, if he/she doesn't know, suggest you both go to the car and check what versions now appear.  If nothing has been updated then say better both go back to desk, or service managers office for full explanation.

Then see what happens, you want it done properly, not bit of update, and be fobbed off.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

I would take a photo of the status page on the screen (the data in opening post), and print it, and when you go to collect the keys ask receptionist what has been changed, if he/she doesn't know, suggest you both go to the car and check what versions now appear.  If nothing has been updated then say better both go back to desk, or service managers office for full explanation.

Then see what happens, you want it done properly, not bit of update, and be fobbed off.

Exactly my worry, it comes to something when you have there's such a dis-trust in the dealership network that you assume they will do the bare minimum and fob you off.  I guess it varies between dealership but I also find if the workshop is busy then service levels drop dramatically.

Anyone think there's merit in turning up at Dealership armed with this TPI:

Basically want to let them know that I won't be fobbed off with half arsed solution.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2023 at 13:24, Darkness22 said:

I hope your dealer is better than the Letchworth marshals branch.

I've had really mixed experiences with Marshall Skoda Letchworth. There seems to be a huge turnover on the customer facing side of the service and after sales department. In the end I had to get the Skoda Executive Office involved which did improve matters, and dealing directly with the general manager, Nicholas Hutton direct.

It took over 10 visits to finally get the car sorted, but in the end they have sorted everything out. Their head technician, Mick was the one doing the work. Mick asked to have the car back in January for a month so he could work with Skoda Technical direct as apparently they wanted to use my car as a test platform to try and understand why so many cars were having software issues.

The only outstanding issue I have is the Matrix Lights causing oncoming drivers to flash me. Again, going thro the service department team it's impossible to get the car booked in. They don't call back when they say they will, don't respond to e-mails, etc. 

It used to be a great dealer, and I've used them for all my servicing over the past 12 years. It is a shame what's happened to them.

I am really surprised they're trying fob you off with the amount of times my car has been in. If I were you I'd complain to the general manager, and ask that they assign Mick to your car. With the experience he's had with my car, he will know exactly how to fix yours - and if yours has the climate sync issue - he knows how to fix that too. PM me if you want the general manager's e-mail address.

Edited by JamesK

Car is at the dealership today - I printed out a full list of symptoms, referred to the TPI and printed that out, also suggested that they may need to update the SOS module firmware (or even replace it).

Let's see how it comes back.

Apparently they have updated the SOS / OCU unit firmware to the latest version, which the Mater Tech said has been proven to be solid compared to another version that was circultaing previously, and they have updated the software to 1941.  I guess that's all they can initially do.

Next few days city driving and a long distance trip on Friday and Sunday should test it out.

Edited by spcdust
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Almost three weeks since the updates applied to the car and it's all been working perfectly well - the difference between before and after is like night and day.  If it remains this way I am now very happy.

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

My Daughter picked up a Used Octavia Estate yesterday Registered in Oct 2020. On the way home she experienced the dreaded "Error - Emergency Call Please visit Workshop" Error whilst driving it home from the Main Dealer. She'd picked up some popping noises on the motorway but thought it was stones hitting the windscreen, which she thought were unusual at the time. It was then followed by the error when she came off the motorway in more rural roads. 

The salesman said that he'd check with the Service dept tomorrow. 

She can reject the car as it's within the 14 day return period, however I wanted to ask what is the chance of this being repaired successfully. My concern is it could return in the future when the car is no longer covered by any warranty and need an expensive repair, with no guarantee of it being successful. The car would become unsaleable and worthless. 

Any advice would be appreciated.

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-09 at 22.13.36.jpeg

Edited by italiastar
correct mistake

13 minutes ago, italiastar said:

My Daughter picked up a Used Octavia Estate yesterday Registered in Oct 2023. On the way home she experienced the dreaded "Error - Emergency Call Please visit Workshop" Error whilst driving it home from the Main Dealer. She'd picked up some popping noises on the motorway but thought it was stones hitting the windscreen, which she thought were unusual at the time. It was then followed by the error when she came off the motorway in more rural roads. 

She can reject the car as it's within the 14 day return period, however I wanted to ask what is the chance of this being repaired successfully. My concern is it could return in the future when the car is no longer covered by any warranty and need an expensive repair, with no guarantee of it being successful. The car would become unsaleable and worthless. 

I wouldn’t like to comment on your daughters car but I had loads of issues but once they installed software 1941 and updated the SOS unit firmware it’s been completely trouble free.  The consensus seems to be that 1941 has resolved most, if not all of the known issues.

However, your daughters car should still be within its original 3 year manufacturer warranty if registered October 2023 and if a Škoda Approved second hand car then that’s carries a 12 month warranty.  Looking at the hardware version I wonder if you mean registered in October 2020?

Edited by spcdust

1 hour ago, spcdust said:

I wouldn’t like to comment on your daughters car but I had loads of issues but once they installed software 1941 and updated the SOS unit firmware it’s been completely trouble free.  The consensus seems to be that 1941 has resolved most, if not all of the known issues.

However, your daughters car should still be within its original 3 year manufacturer warranty if registered October 2023 and if a Škoda Approved second hand car then that’s carries a 12 month warranty.  Looking at the hardware version I wonder if you mean registered in October 2020?

Sorry, my mistake - it was registered in Oct 2020 (now corrected in original post) - It's out of original warranty but has 2 year Skoda Used Warranty.

Thank you for your reply - it provides some assurance. I'm now concerned as I waiting for a brand new Karoq, which comes with it's own "features" - Shame they done build cars like my previous SEAT Alhambra which was crushed after 20 years because of ULEZ and never missed a beat, and Fabia was within a whisker.

3 hours ago, italiastar said:

My Daughter picked up a Used Octavia Estate yesterday Registered in Oct 2020. On the way home she experienced the dreaded "Error - Emergency Call Please visit Workshop" Error whilst driving it home from the Main Dealer. She'd picked up some popping noises on the motorway but thought it was stones hitting the windscreen, which she thought were unusual at the time. It was then followed by the error when she came off the motorway in more rural roads. 

As was mentioned by @spcdust, a software update to 1941 and the SOS unit updated too should resolve it. 
I had the SOS unit replaced about a year ago which might also be an option.

Mine has been nigh on perfect for several months since 1941 was installed.

My suggestion is to build good rapport with the dealer and it’ll help in the long run. My frustration over the three years has been with the car and Śkoda, treated the dealer as an ally in getting it fixed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SteveTheElder said:

As was mentioned by @spcdust, a software update to 1941 and the SOS unit updated too should resolve it. 
I had the SOS unit replaced about a year ago which might also be an option.

Mine has been nigh on perfect for several months since 1941 was installed.

My suggestion is to build good rapport with the dealer and it’ll help in the long run. My frustration over the three years has been with the car and Śkoda, treated the dealer as an ally in getting it fixed.

Thank you. One issue is the supplying dealer is not the local one - local one is same company, but the one that had the car refused to transfer the car, so we decided to travel 50 miles to them. My daughter is also wishing her 14 day period to return the car, so has to make a decision quickly. They really like the car and it is the one they wanted, and amongst the minefield of used cars this seems to be a good one - leased car, but driven by one owner and good low mileage. they just cant afford to have a reliable car which need to be returned to dealer, could one day be costly to repair and end up worthless - they need a good reliable car.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, italiastar said:

Thank you. One issue is the supplying dealer is not the local one - local one is same company, but the one that had the car refused to transfer the car, so we decided to travel 50 miles to them. My daughter is also wishing her 14 day period to return the car, so has to make a decision quickly. They really like the car and it is the one they wanted, and amongst the minefield of used cars this seems to be a good one - leased car, but driven by one owner and good low mileage. they just cant afford to have a reliable car which need to be returned to dealer, could one day be costly to repair and end up worthless - they need a good reliable car.

If Škoda Approved Used car the warranty is valid across the Škoda dealer network - you are not tied to the dealer you purchased from.

i bought ours from a Škoda dealership in the Midlands and drove 120 miles to collect the car but had the work on the SOS Unit and Infotainment system done at our local Škoda dealership under the warranty.

Edited by spcdust

On 10/12/2023 at 22:46, spcdust said:

If Škoda Approved Used car the warranty is valid across the Škoda dealer network - you are not tied to the dealer you purchased from.

i bought ours from a Škoda dealership in the Midlands and drove 120 miles to collect the car but had the work on the SOS Unit and Infotainment system done at our local Škoda dealership under the warranty.

Thank you. I assume that yours was a new car - How many attempts id it take to resolve? I'm puzzled as to how a 3 year old car can still be manifesting this issue - I would have thought the previous owner would have got it resolved, or has it been going on all this time and they've decided to trade it in. 

How many attempts did it take to repair yours? My daughter needs her car for work, and as a midwife, not going to work will not only impact her, but others relying on her. The dealer have said that they can take the car in, but only update the software from1896 to 1941 if the car requests it when plugged into diagnostic machine - surprisingly yesterday they suggested my daughter connect the car to her home wi-fi or hotspot of her phone and download it herself, whilst having the ignition running. 

Another dealer told me that they have had an SOS module on order for 5 months, and that if I wanted to book the car into them, it wouldn't be until the end of January.

I'm wondering if getting a newer, say late 2022 / early 2023 may avoid the problem as they really like the car. It would cost an extra £3000 but for peace of mind, I'm willing to give them the money.

My car is 2020 Build SEL First Edition Estate, which I purchased in October 2023 as a Škoda Approved Used Car.  From day one had all of the Infotainment issues that are well documented and the SOS unit crashed on virtually every journey.

i understand your concerns as I had them to some extent but literally car went into the dealership three weeks ago for less than a full day where they did the software update and SOS unit firmware update (no new unit required) and since I have had it back it has been 100% good - the difference is night and day.

I’m not sure spending another £3000 on a newer car is necessary or even the solution.  I would get it booked in and follow the advice I have posted.  Print a list of the issues and what you expect the workshop to do to resolve them.  I would insist they update the software but also highlight that they should update the SOS unit firmware, if required, as I believe that some dealerships miss this important stage out.

i actually think we are the fortunate ones as the Infotainment issues remained unresolved for around two years much to the frustration of Octavia Mk4 owners. It is only software version 1941 that seems to be much more stable.  As an aside, talking to other car manufacturers owners it seems many Infotainment systems have their quirks.

Edited by spcdust
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, italiastar said:

Thank you. I assume that yours was a new car - How many attempts id it take to resolve? I'm puzzled as to how a 3 year old car can still be manifesting this issue - I would have thought the previous owner would have got it resolved, or has it been going on all this time and they've decided to trade it in. 

How many attempts did it take to repair yours? My daughter needs her car for work, and as a midwife, not going to work will not only impact her, but others relying on her. The dealer have said that they can take the car in, but only update the software from1896 to 1941 if the car requests it when plugged into diagnostic machine - surprisingly yesterday they suggested my daughter connect the car to her home wi-fi or hotspot of her phone and download it herself, whilst having the ignition running. 

Another dealer told me that they have had an SOS module on order for 5 months, and that if I wanted to book the car into them, it wouldn't be until the end of January.

I'm wondering if getting a newer, say late 2022 / early 2023 may avoid the problem as they really like the car. It would cost an extra £3000 but for peace of mind, I'm willing to give them the money.