New to me L&K Superb: spare wheel question please

About to surrender my beloved 2014 Tour du France Superb for a L&K Superb, 2019.

I think the L&K package does not have a full size spare wheel in the boot floor, just an inflation moose.

Looks like you can buy the full size spare wheel/tyre/tools as a kit which will drop into the  well just like my current TduF car.

On google, I can buy the 18" wheel spare for around £300 which seems a good deal. This is from a Skoda dealer.

Will it fit?

My 2019 L&K has the space saver T125/70/R18 and associated jack, wheel brace in the specific foam holder and it fits perfectly.  As you will see on the many threads on this forum, going for a full size spare, unless you do some investigation, will give you issues on the floor mat not fitting

The car I intend to buy is a 2019 registration, have not seen the car yet as it is in 'preparation'.

But the dealer says it does not have the spare wheel of any type, just the moose and tool kit. The boot floor on such cars is lower (I think) so quite a 100mm step at the rear cill point, thus the full size may not fit as the well is shallow.

I'll need to wait until i see the car next week in person and check it out.

I'm not obliged to buy it yet until after the test drive to ensure it is what we need and the ride is compliant rather than jarring.

On the Superb MK3 (at least with the front wheel drive car), you can fit a spare wheel that has an actual width of no more than 215mm, such as a 215/60R16 fitted to a 6Jx16 ET43 5/112 57.1 steel rim (from the Karoq). The standard Superb MK3 wheel sizes won't fit because they all have an inflated width of more than 215mm.

As you can see in the chart below, the standard Superb MK3 tyre sizes all have an actual inflated width of at least 220mm.

Actual inflated width of tyres (measured from the outside of one sidewall to the outside of the other sidewall)

215/60R16 fitted to 6J rim 215mm (from Karoq)

215/60R16 fitted to 6.5J rim 221mm (from Superb MK3)

215/55R17 fitted to 6.5J rim 220mm (from Superb MK3)

215/55R17 fitted to 7J rim 226mm (from Superb MK3)

6Jx16 ET43 5/112 57.1 steel rim (from Karoq)

Rim 6665 at a discount — buy now!

https://www.oponeo.pl/felga-stalowa/alcar-kfz-6665

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/alcar/14750540

Edited by Carlston

• 1 month later...

Carlston, you talk about the inflated width of a full size spare wouldn't fit. Is it not possible to deflate the tyre slightly so it fits and then reinstate when the spare is needed? 

5 hours ago, Summerhillred said:

Carlston, you talk about the inflated width of a full size spare wouldn't fit. Is it not possible to deflate the tyre slightly so it fits and then reinstate when the spare is needed? 

You would have to let all the air out. Even 1psi is going to push the sidewalls out.

I don't know how keeping a spare tyre in the boot for years with no air (0 psi) would affect the long term health of the tyre.

Edited by Carlston

13 minutes ago, Summerhillred said:

Carlston, I've just bought the 18" spare wheel toolkit so looks like I'm going down your route 😬

Is it this one (shown on "skoda eshop cz"), designed for the Superb MK3 2.0TSI with 200kW/206kW engines?

18" Spare Wheel Replacement Kit (this product is designed for Superb MK3 2.0TSI 200kW/206kW. This product is not intended for Superb iV hybrid vehicles)

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/sada-pro-vymenu-rezervniho-kola-18/p/3V0093860E

If so, I don't know if there will be room for a full size spare...even a relatively narrow 215mm wide one. However, you would need somewhere to put the punctured 235/45R18 or 235/40R19 tyre...so maybe it would fit.

Sometimes a 4x4 system can reduce the amount of space in the spare wheel well for a full size spare wheel.

Edited by Carlston

20 minutes ago, Summerhillred said:

Carlston, my alloys are 18" with a 235/45/18 tyre so should fit once I've trimmed the plastic trim like you did.

It was JR RS (not me) who fitted a 235/40R19 (or might have been a slightly oversize 245/40R19) in the spare wheel well, and he has a Superb MK3 2.0TSI 162kW/220HP front wheel drive. Photos on this thread.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/520234-superb-mk3-spare-wheel/

Edited by Carlston