Car killed by tree... 2nd hand advice 😂

As the title suggests, our 2013 octy got flattened by an oak tree in a storm a few weeks ago. Poor thing was minding it's own business sat on our drive when the tree (not ours) decided to use the car to break its fall! Anyway, the ensuing insurance fiasco is ongoing (another story entirely), but we need a new car ASAP for life to carry on and all that. 

The options are pretty thin near me to be honest.. But I've found a 2015 superb 1.6 greenline iii. It's fairly high mileage at 157k but has a full service history (I've seen the documents) and the cam+pump was done at the end of 2020 @130k miles. Current owner is genuine, with decent reason to sell etc etc. 

Its in really good condition inside and out bar one golf ball size dent in the boot, and everything works as it should. Runs fine, drives fine. 

Only advisory on the last mot was for sub frame corrosion, but I've spoken to the garage that did it and they've said it was no big deal, there was just a bit of surface rust so it had to be noted. Also, we live by the coast... Pretty much everything in our budget will have that going on. Other things are likely to cause it's demise before the subframe rusts out, is my thinking.

I've managed to get him down to £5300... But there's no more budging on that, fair enough. 

Just wondering what people think about it generally, sound OK? ... I've never had a 1.6 and the only thing I've ever bought with higher mileage was a PD engine Octy, which predictably ended up being mumra the ever living mechanically 😂

Advice much appreciated 👍

The 1.6 is a fairly low power engine. And the S3 is a fairly large car.  I note that you are in Cornwall. Could suffer a bit on those steep hills you have. If you desperately need a diesel I'd be looking at the 2.0 if possible. If not then the 2.0 petrol is a very good engine.

That all being said it sounds like you have found a reasonable car. As long as it's not a dsg you could do worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeh, I would ideally go for a 2.0tdi but there's none to be found anywhere remotely local.. Not at our price range and decent. Couple of passats, but.... Well. Certainly no 2.0 petrols I can see.

It's mainly going to be for school runs, but fairly long runs regularly to see family up the line. I probably will miss the power of the 2.0.. Won't I 😢

Nope, it's a 6 speed manual.

My previous Superb was a late 2013 MK2 facelift 1.6 Greenline Estate diesel with the 6 speed manual gearbox. In all fairness it was actually ok power wise for me, had it from new and covered 125k miles in it throughout the 4 years I had it, economy was very good, usually giving 60+ mpg but obviously depends how & where you drive. 

I wouldn't write off the 1.6 diesel unless it has a DPF, in which case for too many shorter drives it may not be suitable, I drove mainly longer journeys.

Had it new from Carrs Skoda, as did my current MK3 (now Yeomans Skoda).

Have you taken it for a good test drive, that may sway your decision one way or the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info.

We live quite rurally so even the daily school run is a 45 minute round trip where it gets up to a decent temperature. We also do regular longer motorway journeys. Our last octy was getting 50mpg mostly, that'd creep up to 55+ on longer runs. Hopefully the superb will be at least equivalent or better.

Both me and the missus drive pretty reasonably, especially been as the kids are usually in the back. 

I think they all have dpfs now, no? I wouldn't mess around removing/blanking one in this car tbh. Would consider a remap for improved economy... though on a car with that high mileage, don't know?

I have a 1.6tdi in a polo. It's alright, but you need to accept that sooner or later you're going to be replacing injectors. Wouldn't be my first choice of engine, but if it's what's available in budget, there's far worse stuff out there. 

• Thanks 1

More than happy with my 1.6tdi. 168K miles and still running sweetly. ( Even with a DSG & DPF! )

Edited by Gammyleg
extra item added.
  • Thanks 1

That's a very reasonable price in the current climate for what sounds like a decent car. At 120bhp I wouldn't class the 1.6 as underpowered. It sounds like you do plenty of long journeys which should help the dpf and the main thing I find when they do a regen is to make sure it's cleared before you switch off the engine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1