Map Update Errors Unzipping New updated CW 45/2023 HIGH12_P350_EU_202345

I've downloaded the latest map updates for my Kodiaq never had a problem in 6 years updating.

When I unzip it I get 17 errors . Is this OK ?

Used 2 different unzip program both the same and down 3 new downl;oads of the unzipped files

polite suggestions please 

Screenshot 2023-11-21 180615.png

Screenshot 2023-11-21 181053.png

Edited by vizslabob

22 hours ago, vizslabob said:

I've downloaded the latest map updates for my Kodiaq never had a problem in 6 years updating.

When I unzip it I get 17 errors . Is this OK ?

Used 2 different unzip program both the same and down 3 new downl;oads of the unzipped files

polite suggestions please 

Screenshot 2023-11-21 180615.png

Screenshot 2023-11-21 181053.png

Skoda knows they messed it up. They removed the Vin to map file lookup to revert back to the June release. If you use the one published by MartiniB to the Skoda servers you get the corrupted one at the minute.

Mib2 highs on the import run an SLA1 signature encryption check so it will grind to a halt on the import if one character is wrong.... probably a lot more than one character out with their zipping error. The German Skoda board bless them don't understand this.... was reading their musing today to check whether it had been fixed yet.

The integrity of mib2 standard files isn't protected from being messed about with but mib2 high is by that signature you see on the bottom of the meta file. That bank of four lines on the txt file at the in each directory. That seals it from tampering.

Crafty way of protecting it but also protects the data from Skoda making a fool of themselves, not. Zip files themselves when unzipped if they complain means it's corrupted. The SLA1 signature is an over kill since the extraction if zipped does that. It's only sole purpose is to stop users hacking it the way they use it. If it was copied unzipped then the corruption check in transmission which it's claimed for would come in but it's use stops tinkering. To be fair it stops rubbish being loaded on to the system. So it does to that 😀. Bottom line, corrupted zip file you won't get the unit to touch it.

Edited by Tell

Same issue here.
Mostly it is .psf files that won't extract.
I think none of them had dates later than March 2023 so I was thinking maybe I could just stick with the files of the same name from the last release but it turns out that some of them have been modified since then. e.g. June release of Ukraine_Map3D_TIN.psf was dated 10-Sep-2022 and the new (corrupt) one is dated 03-Mar-2023.
(No idea why maps of Ukraine should have changed) 🙂

You won't get it to install it's protected with those signatures. @Pcbbc alluded to a way of making small changes. I've seen talk before. You are reverse engineering the like that GCHQ do.

More here when I went to the experts

https://reverseengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/15992/defeat-rsa-hash-verification-qnx-working-example

Basically the public key is published and known. It's on that thread, it's in the mib2 boxes. It's the private key that isn't or might be. It's the same public and private key across the firmware and map releases. I checked using that code fragment and downloads for maps and firmware.

The whole subject came up when people were trying to modify the firmware in these boxes. Then it came to pass there was a backdoor left open via the POI import method. Anything placed after the signature got imported in. Like running behind someone at a turn stile tube gate. How the all in one software works found on enthusiasts sites. More tricky with map imports @pcbbcsays. I'd notice they had more security in them having played about with the mib2 high map files before. In 2018 discovering it was the navigation FeCs that needed to be changed and worked out the Seat ones after a unscrupulous retrofitter was selling navigation FeCs for life that turned out to be for one year. Getting pricey. Only payed once and got them to correct their scam least for me they were peddling. Four night away from home on that one visiting said retrofitter miles away.

The tool boxes you see and the modded firmware all use the POI import fragment of code at the start. You can visually check this software since the firmware isn't signed at the end. No bank of four signature lines. This is how you know the Audi 350 map isn't hacked. That's signed unless like the Sony film studio someone got in and nicked the crown jewels. Suspect they guard the private key well but you never know. Brute force can be used and you need Cray computers a few years back. This is where they upped the industrial standard of sla1. 256 to 1024 or something. There were published papers saying the industry better use longer keys since computer power was catching up on brute force hacks. Bread and butter stuff of GCHQ but you wouldn't want hobbyists doing it. Interesting subject.

Edited by Tell

Well if VW don't slip their schedule backwards you should see it any time soon. In the past they leave from work on a Friday early (a German thing) and the maps just appear on the servers but not linked to the webpage yet. Might be this Friday or next, you never know. Often the weekend is the period when they get spotted. MartiniB I'm sure is running his sniffer code as others.

The VW release is the gold standard. Skoda and Seat have historic releases sometimes that VW don't have / markets that VW don't operate in. Whilst Audi keep theirs under wrap, VIN protected via a login with the mapcare three year imposed just to get in knowing what the user has purchased. That's why we see Audi drivers on Skoda boards they are running long life FeCs and are outside of the imposition Audi apply via the website (all in one custom firmware with long life navigation FeCs / mib 2 high tool box adjusted FeCs). You learn something almost every day.

Was nice to see the November 350 released by the back door from Audi. That's perfectly good to use at this time. I wont be updating to the VW / Skoda one this year November since I've got it already. They are common releases across platforms so one is equivalent to the other except in this case Audi have their own mib 2 high only one, mib 1 high only ones splitting out the combined release. Probably done to keep within the 32gb card limit. Audi are indeed the brains of the Vag group.

Well if we discover the Audi release is significantly different to the VW / Skoda / Seat release would it be worth re-installing it again. Hence a comparison file check when we see it.

• Like 1

• vizslabob changed the title to Map Update Errors Unzipping New updated CW 45/2023 HIGH12_P350_EU_202345

oh well, Downloaded the update ok, and un-packed it to a 64gb sd Card.. Then put it into the car to update found the card ok and got to 82% then failed with an error 🙁

I've never had any problems like this before.

Did you use a Mac.... although I don't reckon it's that since it would fail the signature check early on if there was random characters in the file unless the integrity is checked as it's progressing. Suppose to use CleanMyDrive if using a Mac that gets rid of the random characters that Mac's put on. You run that against the SD files once copied.

You got the VW link to try and the Audi one. The Audi one because Mib1 files are stripped out is smaller so less fiddling with big downloads. The 64gb  SD card can be in exFat as it came pre-formatted. No advantage in NTFS. I'm sticking with the Audi one.

downloaded on PC- windows 11 ... and had done a full format of SD Card, all unpacked to the card but once putting in the car it only done the update to 82%.   then got error message and reverted back to to 23/24 map 

Feels like a duff SD card or the infotainment system playing up. I aways do the update on the backend SWDL menu that you have to enable with VCDS / Obdeleven etc. It does show you what it's doing. Exfat should be the format for over 32gb. Fat for the 32gb cards.

On the Skoda German board with the Skoda zip issue they ended up loosing the maps. I'd try the Audi 350 file on a 32gb card. Mibsolution.one had that linked up but taken down now whilst you have MartiniB's mega link of that.  Just a question of getting that downloaded. Booboo, Pcbbc and I, I reckon have been using that one without issues for 6 weeks or so.

Or MartiniBs solution above.

Edited by Tell

As posted on the other thread I can confirm the two downloads are different. The Skoda one still has an issue from reports. They have managed to get the byte size identical but the contents are different when you run a check. That's not supposed to happen.

VW file is the way to go.

Yep still a problem downloaded the P350 again from Skoda portal. Seemed to unzip ahain without problems . But failed at 82% and reverted to P330.

Do I wait for Skoda to get it right? or try other VW or Audi  downloads.

I only want Western Europe not Russia or Rest of world. 

Do you have a link for the VW download and is it newer tha the Skoda P330  week 23 I think

Sorry I don't understand all (backend SWDL menu that you have to enable with VCDS / Obdeleven etc. I )  stuff

Thanks for the updates

PS  formatted the 128GB USB stick NTFS default allocation size

Is it worth trying FAT32(Default)

I expect it makes no diferenve

Edited by vizslabob

Use the first link on MartiniBs page

This file:

https://vw-maps-cdn.lighthouselabs.eu/vw-maps/P350_N60S5MIBH3_EU.7z

The Skoda one seems to stick on that % as reported by others on the German Skoda board.

You can use the Audi mib2 high file only although you might have issues getting it off the mega server

https://mega.nz/file/D7gRnTQS#bs1ghZILdz3-DOJ2Vafc9aePn_l9SDbRTJ8jyPslBO4

The Skoda and VW files should be common latest release 350, 330 was the June release. Skoda just made a mistake. There is nothing special about one rather than the other accept the Audi release is only for mib2 highs whilst the Skoda / VW one's cover mib1 high as well as mib2 high. It's the Audi one I'm using. Works fine. It came out by accident or whatever about 6 weeks ago.

Edited by Tell

• 2 weeks later...

You want to use the VW lighthouse one for 350, first link in the post above, if you haven't already. The map files are ìnterchangeable between mib2 highs which is what a Columbus is, so you use the first one published by whichever VAG brand. VW are better resourced to get it right on their servers. The source material is the same between the brands generated by an outsourced operation from Here Maps material. Skoda succeed in making it a pigs ear zipping it and publishing the file with a web page.

It's a bit like ONS census material, processed and goes out. Different people do different things with it. All the same data, all the same end hardware and core software it's mounted on in this case unlike the census data... you'd have to be a census data user to get that 😂. Just the IT people mess it up.

There is still no sign of the VW / Seat mib2 standard release for November 2023.  Skoda have published "theirs" but since they run six months behind on the release it's the reheated June 2023 release. Old bread. Still waiting for new VWs loaves. They haven't appeared yet.

It's a bit of a carry on.

FWIW I downloaded the VW lighthouse one above and compared the files to the Skoda update. Although there were some differences in times and dates of the files, when I did a binary compare they seemed identical except for 17 files that were missing from the Skoda download because they had not been successfully extracted from the archive.
(I haven't yet taken the SD card to the car - it is cold!)

Yes well if it's the uncorrected 350 it won't work. The mibsolution.one had the mod on it to make the Skoda files work but given they alter the web pages, that's probably gone by now.

The German Skoda board was directing people to that prior to the VW link coming out. Best to stick with the VW lighthouse server link files, they work as has been reported on MartiniB's thread.

12 hours ago, Kaoli said:

compared the files to the Skoda update.

when you did download?

last which i downloaded were ok

-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/518018-columbus-map-update-2024-mib12-high/

On 14/11/2023 at 18:35, MartiniB said:

Downloadable:    2023.11.13    17 broken files in archive
Downloadable:    2023.11.21     2(other) broken files in archive

Downloadable:    2023.11.30     fixed