Spark Plugs 1.2 HTP

Hello all,

Skoda Fabia 1.2 Classic

BMD Engine

I intended to remove and examine the spark plugs today since I have new ones on the way (Bosch Super Plus FR7HC+ Spark Plugs). However, once I pulled the injectors out (which were a bit old I should probably get another 2 new ones) the spark plugs had loads of dust, little bits and even a small fly in the housing, I can imagine that once I pull out the plug there’s a small chance some of that will get in, or is it safe to pull out the spark plug and it would drag everything out with it.

Ultimately, it’s better safe than sorry and if anyone has any advice on cleaning up the spark plug passages let me know! I should probably get new coils too right?

Photos attached.

IMG_5028.thumb.JPG.059a458bbcefd1ef14a28d3c4e3ae733.JPGIMG_5027.thumb.JPG.8af869915bfeb92c2028b208c6d2a307.JPGIMG_5026.thumb.JPG.9b78b3eed454e7a86312895af8c14cc2.JPG

Couldn’t find any at Poundland, or Halfords, or B&Q... I will order some stuff of the good old amazon though.

These are all for a 1.2 6y2 Fabia with a BMD engine code - from glorious amazon prime. NDD and return conditions that are always in the customers favour.

Spark plugs: https://amzn.to/46nLbfW

Air Filter: https://amzn.to/49R2Fo0

Air Gas: https://amzn.to/3MWKDa6

Edited by SpotnikHTP04
wrong link

The spark plugs are arriving on Thursday, I intended to clear out the gunk from the spark plugs but the engine was pretty hot and the air coming out the duster was super cold so I think I’ll leave it until the end of the week.

I did change the air filter though, I want to change the cabin filter too but I just gave the old one a clean and dug out all the dust in the gaps instead.

I think the car needs a big brake service next... Pads, drums and shoes.

Is it worth bleeding the brakes too? Not my forte by any means but worth learning right... 

Can't see any sign of a VW group part number on the old plugs, so won't be factory original. Also they don't look too bad other than a fair amount of gap increase. Clean them up, adjust the gaps to be like the new ones and keep as emergency spares.

Any date codes printed on the top face of those coils? 

Wire brush sounds good. And yeah I have 1 spare new plug right now. 

For the coil packs, I will have to look when I get back downstairs to the car. 

I will edit below with the dates I find. And yeh I realised after I read your post you meant the coil packs. 

I’m wanting to take the car for a spin expecting some performance gain but I’m dreaming. 

My neighbour just took me for a ride in his r36 wagon. Beautiful… What am I doing with a 3 pot? 

1 hour ago, SpotnikHTP04 said:

09/14 on the ring under the hexagon. 

any advice on cleaning? 

Throw them in the bin, they're completely worn out, they've lasted pretty well for a platinum plug but they've been in there about five years by the look of it!