Felicia battery change

I have a 1.3 Felicia MPI can any one tell me if the battery is disconnected like when it is changed do's it have any affect on the ECU and the running of the car, will it need to be reset or any thing ?

I have had the car from new 25 years and I never in the past had any problems with disconnecting the battery, it seems now the slow running is not steady the car starts on first turn of the key it's just the tick over.

3 hours ago, mikefelicia said:

do's it have any affect on the ECU and the running of the car, will it need to be reset or any thing ?

I have changed some batteries and done some ECU reset (with 3 ways).

Check for possible faults via VCDS or relative, the ECU will ''learn'' as you drive the car about in a week or so and make some adjustments as happened many times with drivers after removind the throttle for cleaning.

• Like 1

If disconnecting the battery has caused a reset then once the computer 'learns' again it could be better idle than before.  If all the electricery is discharged then it's like "turn' the cump'ta off 'n'on agen" I'd reboot computers clear across the road.  😁

Hey Mike. Still going strong? You are in your 70's IIRC?

About the battery. The ECU will be fine, meaning that you will not destroy anything, other than the "learned" values for an optimum fuel mixture at various loads on the engine, various environment values, and many other parameters that make the engine run smooth and non polluting.

I recommend cleaning the throttle body followed by its reset.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

Thanks guys for the info.

Hi Ric only just still in my 70s in 6 months I will be in my 80s Ho well its only a number at the end of the day its your health that's important.

You all look after your self you will reach 80 or more if you look after yourself like you do the car.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Plenty of my neighbours have and are in their 90s, and still at home, one had repeated cards from royalty, a couple of my very near neighbours have just left their 80s.  My old next-door neighbour was still driving his car at 95 and he only learnt to drive a car at 50, motorbikes and motorbikes and sidecars before that.  Mind, he wasn't the best car driver at 73 years old when we first moved in.  😃 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2023 at 21:55, mikefelicia said:

Hi Ric only just still in my 70s in 6 months I will be in my 80s Ho well its only a number at the end of the day its your health that's important.

You all look after your self you will reach 80 or more if you look after yourself like you do the car.

If the world will not become a radioactive desert next year, I might turn 60. But I don't see myself turning 80, unless somebody invents organs cloning or the vaccine for becoming eternal 😎

Stay strong, Mike!

• Groan 1

I have booked my Felly into the garage for a check as the engine is cutting out and missing on its own when im driving not all the time it has just started to day Mon 18th so booked her in for Wed 20th will let you all know the out come.

• Sad 1

Could be a lot of things but unlikely to be disconnecting and reconnecting the battery unless the battery wasn't secured properly and/or the battery post clamp(s) aren't tight.

I'd guess more likely to be a minor ignition issue or failing part - but could be lots of other things.

Your lucky to have a garage that can get you in that quick particularly this time of year.

Let us know how things go on.

Edited by nta16

8 hours ago, mikefelicia said:

the engine is cutting out and missing on its own

Intermittent missing and cutting out are the most complex issues to diagnose. I am very curious what will the mechanics discover and if they will be able to solve it without any comeback...

• Groan 1

I am hopping when he connects the diagnostic it will come up with the answer, I am not good with with the fault finder I just leave it to the expert he is a very good mechanic I have used for years and now I do not want to be messing about with a old car ok with the changing of oil, plugs, and air filter but even taking a wheel off to attend the brakes is a major job for me now.

One changes as you get older all my life from the age of 16 I have had a motorcycle some 64 years. I still have a old Triumph in the garage I have had for 49 years and for the first time in my life I have not ridden it for 2 years and it is braking me never ever thought that would happen to me my life has revolved around motorcycles after having so many and restoring so many.

I could write a book about my life working and riding motorcycles.

Take care will let you all know the outcome my Felly is here to stay.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mikefelicia said:

I am hopping when he connects the diagnostic it will come up with the answer

Scan tools can do that sometimes but more often it's a diagnostic tool and needs correct interpretation as with any other form of diagnosis so you are lucky to have a good mechanic.  Even then the basics that have always applied need to be covered as they always have.  The scanner can often point in the right direction or sometimes tell you nothing or lead a poor mechanic in the wrong direction.  Cars are ancient technology with more and more electronics on them to eek out as much as possibly from the same basic systems, and of course adding another layer of complexity and things to go wrong.  😄

Look at your Triumph as having given you 49 years of pleasure from it and perhaps consider passing it on to someone else to get pleasure from it and perhaps ride it.  A friend of mine (75) had three bikes including one old and one more modern Triumph (I know nothing of motorbikes) sold all the bikes, and three of his cars, because of health issues.

A previous neighbour of mine only got a car, well a small Thames van, when he was 50 before that he had motorbikes then with sidecar when the kids came along, IIRC one of his was a BSA Golden Flash, he thought it was fantastic when I brought him back a postcard with drawing of the bike I saw in a car museum somewhere as he had no photos of it.

Edited by nta16

All sorted now well she drives ok, it was the Map sensor had was to fault it had damp in it and was loose and pins corroded and replaced it he also checked it all over the battery had only 60% charge but was ok, cleaned down fault codes and all seems ok.

If I can give a plug for the garage I have always had very good service if you live in the area it is -

STANTON AUTOMOTIVE UNIT 10

LAKE SIDE INDUSTRAL EST

NEW MEADOW RD

REDDITCH

B988YW

• Like 1

Well, the map sensor intermittent is a possible cause. I guess it had something like "implausible signal'. Usually that issue gets solved by cleaning the sensor and the connector, not by replacing the sensor.

Felicia has some connector corrosion when they age, especially in humid environments. So how much did you pay for the whole job?

• Groan 1

7 hours ago, RicardoM said:

Well, the map sensor intermittent is a possible cause. I guess it had something like "implausible signal'. Usually that issue gets solved by cleaning the sensor and the connector, not by replacing the sensor.

Felicia has some connector corrosion when they age, especially in humid environments. So how much did you pay for the whole job?

£108.00

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

My thoughts on the £108 as I live in England and once took a car to Birmingham for repair.

Proper MAP sensor looks to be about £35 (if I saw the correct one, could be more, could be less), then there is the labour (and overhead and running costs) diagnosis and find fault, replace part, other checks and tests for battery.  Better value to have someone trustworthy and reliable and do the job well and proper (and at short notice) than someone on the cheap that usually turns out later to be expensive to sort or put right.

It would cost more in labour to clean and repair the loose pins and then perhaps find it still plays up after fitting or worse still after mikefelicia

This is the UK not elsewhere, land and houses are usually very much overvalued so a good percentage of income is used on them and most people pay their taxes including business (some very reluctantly) to keep the society running despite its present state.

Marshall Skoda Dealership is a labour rate of £95 per hour. - https://www.marshall.co.uk/skoda/service/fixed-priced-servicing

3 hours ago, nta16 said:

My thoughts on the £108 as I live in England and once took a car to Birmingham for repair.

Proper MAP sensor looks to be about £35 (if I saw the correct one, could be more, could be less), then there is the labour (and overhead and running costs) diagnosis and find fault, replace part, other checks and tests for battery.  Better value to have someone trustworthy and reliable and do the job well and proper (and at short notice) than someone on the cheap that usually turns out later to be expensive to sort or put right.

It would cost more in labour to clean and repair the loose pins and then perhaps find it still plays up after fitting or worse still after mikefelicia

This is the UK not elsewhere, land and houses are usually very much overvalued so a good percentage of income is used on them and most people pay their taxes including business (some very reluctantly) to keep the society running despite its present state.

Marshall Skoda Dealership is a labour rate of £95 per hour. - https://www.marshall.co.uk/skoda/service/fixed-priced-servicing

I am very happy it was a one hour labour and he is very fair man and I trust him, any way I have Felly back and its running just great just raced a push bike up hill and won. ( sad old man I know).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1