Fabia anti freeze

RickW

My Fabia is now 5 years old.

Does the anti freeze need changing anytime soon?

There was no mention of it at it's 5 year service.

Did they ( service dept ) check the strength / at what temperature it will freeze?

Mine at 2016 is still good.

I have not had to top it up at all from new.

Thanks. AG Falco

If you are keeping the car for a very long time a change can be useful to empty out any debris/contamination that might be in the system but refilling should be under pressure unless you are careful, or don't care too much about the engine possibly getting hot from forcing air up to get more coolant in.  You can do partial drain and refills as partial empty out and refresh.

On the G12evo 5 litre containers it has - "GB Suitable as a filled-for-life filling  G12evo distinguishes itself through miscibility with G13 and G12 plus plus.  Provides protection against, frost overheating corrosion and scaling.  It is recommended to use the product all year round.   To be used as described only." 

Miscibility just means they mix together fine.

"a filled-for-life filling" isn't quantified, who or what's life, I take it as out of VWSkoda manufacturer's extended warranty, you might take it as 10 years or whatever.  Fords has filled for life gearboxes and axles(?) decades back but when I've emptied those out the fluids haven't looked in the best condition.

Whilst the antifreeze part of the coolant remains useable for a good while other elements of the mixture can wear/deplete that protect against corrasion and help lubricate components, of course VW's stuff might be special and superior, I don't know.  

VW being VW have to have their own number for coolant, was G13 (following G12 + +) so of course their latest/current (unless they changed their minds again or "improvements") is I believe, no not G14,  G12evo.

On my wife's 2015 I found G13 marked on the expansion tank (after I watched a video on a MK3 Fabia about something else) so yours might have whatever G number VW thought in 2018. 

You can get it premixed in 5 litre containers for -25C or -35C (G 12E 040 A3 or G 12E 050 A3) I'd not lose sleep over which or both were put in, I find it a bit less expensive to buy from a SEAT Dealership.

On the label of the container is also "Can be used up to five years from the production date in the closed original container.  See below" and below is the production date.   Perhaps the plastic container doesn't keep the coolant as well as in the car's cooling/heating systems you'd have to ask VW.

If a container of oil or coolant or other mixed stuff have been standing for more than a few weeks I always give them an upside down shake before using them just incase, certainly would for a can of oil that's been sitting in a garage for who knows how long, can do no harm (I'd personally only use that oil in someone else car if they wanted or as a flushing/cleaning oil.

Edited by nta16
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, nta16 said:

but refilling should be under pressure unless you are careful,

I am all ears, what equipment is that?

Well you're certainly not all memory otherwise you'd remember I'm not answering your trolling questions - but as you're not being your usual obnoxious self to me, for that one post at least, and only being sarcastic, and I don't mind sarcasm, even from you, despite the fact you can dish it out but not receive it, perhaps having all those ears taking up some of your emotional brain space, well in that case I can tell you  .  .   .

.  .  .  to go and find out for yourself as you never believe me.  😁