New Skoda owner - Dashcam wiring options and KESSY question

Hi,

I have recently bought a 2020 Superb L&K and have fitted a dashcam which is powered by the lighter socket currently, which is what I have always used in the past.  The fact that the socket is always-on in a Skoda came as a bit of a surprise, and I'm  worried about flattening the battery after forgetting to disconnect it.  (the cam has an auto-off parking mode, but I'm not sure I want to trust it)

I found via a google search some posts that say moving the 20A fuse down a notch will solve the problem, but on mine, the new pin I would move it to is disconnected, you can see, visibly (to quote Mr Walker) there is no connection there, so it does not power the camera at all.

Has anyone either got any other tips to power off the lighter socket with the igntion, or, if I decide to go down the hardwire route, exactly where to connect it in the fusebox?

Also, is there a way to turn off keyless entry *forever*? I found the "disable easy entry" menu option, but it doesnt seem to make a difference.

Many thanks

N

I went down the hardwire route using a Nextbase hardwire kit as I didn’t want a wire dangling from the camera. It was actually pretty easy to install. This might help…

…and this. Ignore the fact it’s an estate as the install is the same as the hatch. 

Kessy cannot be turned off, why would you want to?

easy entry is the tailgate ‘kick’ sensor to open the tailgate. i read it wrong, this is easy open, easy entry is moving the drivers seat back and forward when ignition is on and off.

if you’re going through the trouble of accessing the fuse box for the fuses, just get a hardwire kit and fit the dashcam properly to a ignition live fuse.

Edited by ApertureS
  • Like 1

Oh and Easy Entry moves the drivers seat back when you enter the car and moves it forward when you start it. I don’t think you can disable KESSY as I think it’s integrated with the start system, so the car wouldn’t start. 

• Like 1

On 19/12/2023 at 22:10, JBNeil said:

is there a way to turn off keyless entry *forever*?

Temporarily disable KESSY:
Press Lock on the Key Fob, then touch outside of Door Handle for few seconds

forever method i have got unplanned, car is just 11 months old -

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fault
    Control unit: 09 Central Electrics
    Active faults: 2
    Inactive faults: 0
    System description: BCM MQBAB H
    Software number: 5Q0937084EC
    Software version: 0511
    Hardware number: 5Q0937084EC
    Hardware version: H44
    Serial number: 0410223540xxxx
    ODX name: EV_BCMMQB
    ODX version: 022001
    Faults:
        B147BF0 - Remote control key 3 Movement sensor faulty
            static
                Date: 2023-12-11 07:36:25
                Mileage: 9862 km
                Priority: 4
                Malfunction frequency counter: 1
                Unlearning counter: 14
                Terminal 15 status: On
                Terminal 50 status: Off
                Voltage: 14.7 V
                Outside air temperature: -3.0 °C
                Status Bremslichtschalter (HW): Off
                Status Bremslichtschalter (CAN): Off
                Off: not activated
                Parking light: not activated
                Automatic high beam assist: operated
                Low beam: not activated
                Parking light left: not activated
                Parking light right: not activated
                Letzte Weckursache/ Werte [00;2E]: Pin C14 Kessy Weckleitung
                CAN-Bus_aktiv: On

+++ edit 2024.01.22 +++

replaced battery in key fob and KESSY returned,

11 months used battery were 2.99v, new 3.3v

Edited by MartiniB

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed response, but thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.  I'll give the hardwiring a go. 

Easy entry obviously doesnt do what I thought it did, should have RTFM 🙂

Neil

On 05/01/2024 at 10:53, JBNeil said:

should have RTFM

You’re not alone. My SiL has just bought a 22 Audi RS5 Sportback. He couldn’t find the windscreen washer bottle, nor the expansion tank. Of course he didn’t RTFM… 

I need to research my Nextbase wiring....

I had them come out and do the install for me (lazy), but the way it's currently wired up it turns off the power to the dashcam when the automatic stop/start kicks in.

I often turn off stop/start (as it annoys me greatly), but also forget a lot too, so the dashcam is turning itself off and on at traffic lights etc, which is exactly one situation when you don't want your dashcam turning off.

20 minutes ago, gsf600y said:

I had them come out and do the install for me (lazy), but the way it's currently wired up it turns off the power to the dashcam when the automatic stop/start kicks in.

Then they’re idiots. You need to use an ignition controlled fuse. I piggybacked on the rear wash/wipe.  

7 minutes ago, numskull said:

Then they’re idiots. You need to use an ignition controlled fuse. I piggybacked on the rear wash/wipe.  

:D yep, agreed, for professional installers, that should be bread and butter stuff!

Thanks for the tip on the piggyback, I'll look into that - hopefully the guy installed a piggy back fuse holder thingy that I can just move.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2023 at 08:28, ApertureS said:

Kessy cannot be turned off, why would you want to?

easy entry is the tailgate ‘kick’ sensor to open the tailgate. i read it wrong, this is easy open, easy entry is moving the drivers seat back and forward when ignition is on and off.

if you’re going through the trouble of accessing the fuse box for the fuses, just get a hardwire kit and fit the dashcam properly to a ignition live fuse.

Kessy can absolutely be switched off, both temporary and permanently by coding.

There is caveats though;

Start/stop will stop working as the car can no longer speak to the key when coming to a stop.

You'll need to hold the key to the start button after pressing it so the car can detect it and authorize startup, this is the fallback that is used for a dead battery.

I've done it before with obdeleven but disabled it as I actually like start/stop and can't be assed presenting my key each time;

Control Units > Central Electrics > Adaption > "Keyless access and start authorization" > Kessy from "Installed" to "Not Installed"

Yes, I took the risk of not being able to start my car for curiosity but had confidence (and prior read the manual) that there was a backup.

Edited by steevs

• 5 weeks later...

Simple solution I found for dashcam was one of these, 1 Male Plug To 2 Female Socket from Aliexpress.

One socket provides power and data to my phone, the other only power to my dashcam.

Then a long USB cable running under the trim to behind the rear mirror and it's done.

The camera switches on and off a few times when I open the car, but it stays on when driving and switches off a few minutes after I turn the car off.

On 19/12/2023 at 22:10, JBNeil said:

Has anyone either got any other tips to power off the lighter socket with the igntion,

I simply used the USB below the lighter socket. Its power is linked to the infotainment.