Koni Street rebuilt.

37 minutes ago, nta16 said:

you put 21 years on the Koni dampers before rebuild

Yes, i had some other family expenses and the rebuild had to wait, were in the 3rd scale their last.

38 minutes ago, nta16 said:

So how long, and mileage, have the Apex lowering springs been fitted ?

11300 so far, about 2,5 years.

I din't like the feeling of Stock suspention (we are talking for a Felicia and not a BMW M3) in Mountain Roads, for fun i call it ''trombolino effect". Good and for slow City driving, slow Highway speed, compfortable ''grandpa style'' as we say it here.

I had some experience about suspension for my motorcycle days with Sport 4T 400cc and 2T 250cc (adjustments-rebuild-modifications in geometry etc).

Except the normal wear of some parts (top mount) i the Steering system i have made a Track-rod-end ball joint change and Gaiter changes, all the MOT passed OK and every chance the car is in lift jack (for any reason) i ask for an inspection and i am present.

1 hour ago, nta16 said:

safe or reasonable to drive or be on the road

Things like this are for ''show-off'' only

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2597/3112/t/9/assets/lowered-lexus-f-sport.jpg?208

never envy them and never want to make my car like this.

35 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

Yes, i had some other family expenses and the rebuild had to wait, were in the 3rd scale their last.

So at what age, use, mileage (kilometerage) did the Konis first need/best to be rebuilt (but was not done) ?

11300 so far, about 2,5 years.

So 7,000 miles and 2 and a half years, a bit too early perhaps to say what might be destroyed over time but have you noticed anything - excessive/early wear, noise, vibrations, any items, components parts or systems not working as well as they should or did before, or anything else (other than the little camber recovery it had being lost/destroyed) since fitting the Apex lowering springs ?

I will give a diplomatic "no comment" on such things as that.

OFF-TOPIC WARNING

I'm trying to think, I might have been a passenger in a BMW M  or 3 or 5 on a track as a passenger, and certainly a modern 5 on UK road as a passenger,  personally I didn't find them fun, the modern M5 seemed to me to have a cramped interior (and I'm used to British "classics" and modern (and modern Japanese} small sportscars interiors).  I think I've only driven a very few BMWs not Ms and a (Z4) Alpina Roadster.  The stereo fitted to a, new-ish, 635 csi impressed back in the day and it was a very reasonable car to be a (front seat) passenger in especially with my mate driving it as it was his boss's car that he had to drive him around for work and my mate was allowed to take it home and use, no petrol or servicing and maintenance to pay for, what I call a perfect car! 

2 hours ago, nta16 said:

So at what age, use, mileage (kilometerage) did the Konis first need/best to be rebuilt (but was not done) ?

Depends on the user, i push them more, the B guy push them less, the C guy use them occasionaly in Track far more, there is no ''specific limit''.

52 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

what age did you get THAT STYLE?

Born in 1967, i also had it a bit before the 1992 in the Army, i was the ''faster'' tank driver, maintain it properly (especially in suspension-air filter-battery-oil) and i had ''modified'' a bit the fuel line plus the gas pedal stop.

I won in a exhibition all the drivers from the whole Division in the ''how to downhill a Λ shape obstacle", all the others hit the end by force and failed, me? "nice and easy" with a gear box trick.

Later i start driving Sport motorcycles and i learn many things because i was lucky and born in a place with good asphalt and many turns, so a lot of ''practise".

I don't do ''street racing'' in traffic lights etc, i like to drive in roads with turns and 30+ of humble experience can not judged but only from a driver with similar skills.

2 hours ago, nta16 said:

have you noticed anything - excessive/early wear, noise, vibrations, any items, components parts or systems not working as well as they should or did before

Before i Had Eibach springs, much tougher and 1cm lowered but i removed them.

I hear no strange noises, no vibrations more that it should be, pass the MOT suspension test and multiple checks by mechanics (here is from an OIl change, i asked for an ispection and found nothing).

L85CnRS.jpg

A note from the MOT at August:

We here at KTEO only measure convergence (if it is negative it is called deviation), in order to get a very general picture of the state of the steering system.
The measurement unit is the deviation meters from the absolute straight line, per kilometer traveled (m/Km)
Large convergences (or divergences) are an indication for further inspection which usually starts with a simple wheel alignment

-3 till +3 is Normal .

Mine had 0,3 when 0 is the Perfect.

14 hours ago, nta16 said:

I replaced the og skoda dampers in 2018 with around 90k kilometers because they had gotten too soft.

11 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

and multiple checks by mechanics

I wonder why you keep asking for multiple checks by multiple people, cant you perform the tests yourself and be done with it, maybe you like to hear that the vehicle is fine although felicias are almost never fine because they have been abused.

I do my own suspension checks tbh and never care to ask anyone else, I know what every vehicle in my family needs at every given point in time, mechanics dont really understand suspension, engineers understand suspension...

Mine had 0,3 when 0 is the Perfect.

I bet thurst angle is off by a fair bit

Born in 1967, i also had it a bit before the 1992 in the Army, i was the ''faster'' tank driver, maintain it properly (especially in suspension-air filter-battery-oil) and i had ''modified'' a bit the fuel line plus the gas pedal stop.

Hm so pretty much you are 2.7 times my age and you still have memories from the army, army doesnt say anything though

I don't do ''street racing'' in traffic lights etc, i like to drive in roads with turns and 30+ of humble experience can not judged but only from a driver with similar skills.

You dont do "street racing" in traffic lights because you are afraid you are gonna get smoked by young speedsters with seats or vws, the only people who dont "street race" are people with slow cars and that includes me ofcourse, which I own terribly slow cars and very sensitive ones, but yet I claim the truth and dont say that I only race on turns. "I just dont race" period because I'm gonna loose miserably and damage the car beyond the budget capacity that I possess

Edited by Thefeliciahacker

5 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

I do my own suspension checks tbh and never care to ask anyone else

I know what every vehicle in my family needs at every given point in time

You are "the one and only" then, the Pythagoras of Motorsport.

https://i0.wp.com/www.themarginalian.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/pythagoras_knapp.jpg?w=676&ssl=1

Let me remind you an old Greek wisdom: "Eat a big mouthful but don't say a big word".

5 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

I bet thurst angle is off by a fair bit

You dont do "street racing" in traffic lights because you are afraid you are gonna get smoked by young speedsters

army doesnt say anything though

Riskology about my Felicia in every topic, what you think you are going to gain from this?

I didn't did this even in my motorcycle era (see the attachment RGV Γ 250 modified by me, make a comparison with a Stock)

and the reasons were that i didn't want to abuse what i had (because i was going to pay for it, not the ''daddy" which buys 3 cars to his son), I didn't want to risk a fall because i was living alone and i couldn't go to work next morning (i am not the ''mama what's for dinner" guy as others) plus i didn't want to have problems with the Law.

For 30 years i enjoy driving in country roads with turns, if someone does not agree with this i don't f****n care at all.

Ι am not a coward and ''rodelas" so i didn't get a Pink GR Army discharge paper as others.

28992700ef358f77b50a3cd9d811983564bee360.jpg

27 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

You are "the one and only" then, the Pythagoras of Motorsport

No I ain't I just care only about people with actual knowledge of suspension to advise me not by the next corner shop, I have asked advise from Peter Cambridge after an accident I've consulted suspension engineers for my own projects as I've also advised people on their projects, but I have not accepted advice about car suspension from mechanics who don't even understand what roll centre and camber recovery mean. That's why I check suspension by myself to be 100% sure I'm safe

31 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

Riskology about my Felicia in every topic, what you think you are going to gain from this?

Nah I'm not after anything other than to prove the point that sometimes there is no such thing as a subjective reality and you should snap back to the objective part of it. 

33 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

because i was going to pay for it, not the ''daddy" which buys 3 cars to his son

Exactly what I claimed I can not afford the accelerated wear and increased risk for damages 

I rebuild my Koni in Official Service and i am happy with the results, i drive a lowered Felicia for 21 years and i am not intent to lift it as was in Stock.

You can ''judge'' people but till one point, beyond that (and doing it in every single topic) is getting irritating.

Υou are not the Richard Wilks and if you think that you have so much knowledge and your expertise is far above the boundaries of Greece make a recruitment application for a NASCAR team.

As for the "famous name" of some people, keep in mind that ferrari's Chief test driver after so many decades of experience in every single supercar of this brand tried his luck in Nürburgring and in F1, Failed in both !

1 hour ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

Richard Wilks

I am not and dont think nor behave like I am meanwhile you->

i drive a lowered Felicia for 21 years and i am not intent to lift it as was in Stock

keep defying the work of many engineers that sat down and developed - tuned the felicia's suspension thinking that you since you have the "30 years driving experience" know better than those people.

I said that I understand felicia's suspension design can analyze it and know for a fact I cannot change anything without compromises, if you even had the slightest bit of will to listen you would understand it is you that is acting selfish, while saying that others do.

beyond that (and doing it in every single topic) is getting irritating

So is hijacking every quacking topic IN THIS subforum and making it a hot mess with scattered techinical information (albeit true sometimes) and loads of personal misinformed decisions and opinions that is not usefull to anyone.

Hereby I stand to provide THE COUNTER ARGUMENT soooo that everyone who will come here to visit (and is searching for credible information) will not be thinking that lowering the felicia and fitting orange konis IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

I subscribe to what @Thefeliciahackersays. This section of the forum has been poisoned by an individual who is aggressive, stubborn in his lack of knowledge, very frustrated by critical opinions, vengeful, rude, and definitely insecure.

Every now and then he invents a new topic to address his doubts about unimportant things or to show off with cheap, pathetic parts he is using to "tune" his unhappy car, although he has no clue whatsoever about the financial consequences and lack of security he will have to pay from his own very poor pockets. My suggestion is to let him talk to the walls, because anyone who makes the mistake to take him seriously and reply to his ignorant calls will be attacked by a rabid rhetoric. No moderator will stop him embarrassing himself. Andreas, give him enough rope to hang himself because he has zero credibility. Although you are younger, you have a more balanced way to see technical things. Do not let yourself poisoned by an amateur in great need of a psychiatric evaluation and anger management classes.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

3 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

I said that I understand felicia's suspension design can analyze it

Write a suspension Manifesto, upload it in the web so everybody would follow exactly what you are saying there.

When i bought my car you were in kindergarten, how could i consult you? If you don't agree (and paradoxically you don't agree with anything) of what i have done in my car does not affect me at all.

Open a new topic with title "Do not change the stock suspension on your Felicia".

I opened a topic for my Koni rebuild and i was betting for 2 things:

1) You will show up first of all in purpose with negative comments.

2) The complex Hahas will follow saying (after coordination) that he is agree with you.

5 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

and paradoxically you don't agree with anything

you are wrong and I quote 

7 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

1) You will show up first of all in purpose with negative comments.

I never ever make negative comments I exercise caution and advise you to do as well

8 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

The complex Hahas will follow saying (after coordination) that he is agree with you.

Dont judge that, I try to actively counter your arguments when need be, if you watch my history on this forum you would have seen how many times I've argued with other people that doesnt mean I lack respect, yes maybe with some people from here we talk outside the forum but that doesnt mean I will be all with them, dont forget I much rather prefer accurate information being presented even if that means arguing (in a kind and polite way), if i would meet you IRL I would say exactly the same things!

On 31/12/2023 at 15:45, nta16 said:

other than the little camber recovery it had, what has been destroyed

22 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

THATS A BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGG DEAL dont joke about camber recovery

I wasn't joking and I was careful to use your words and description.

To get directly to the matter can you please tell me what damage will be done to what (structure(s) / component(s) / part(s) in layman's terms please? 

@Thefeliciahacker : Why don't you send KONI an email and express to them your objections? Tell them that their product will cause damage and blah blah.

The STR.T Kit from KONI comprises KONI STR.T. shock absorbers and custom-made lowering springs from the company H&R.

As a result of the symbiosis between H&R's lowering springs and KONI's STR.T shocks into the STR.T Kit tuners receive a suspension kit from the factory perfectly balanced to suit their vehicle.

https://www.koni.com/en-US/Cars/Products/Sport-Tuning/STR-T-Kit/

Prove to them that they are wrong, quote everything you have say here and i would love to hear what they answered to you.

Don't waist your time here, get the Hahas together and write to them.

3 hours ago, nta16 said:

To get directly to the matter can you please tell me what damage will be done to what (structure(s) / component(s) / part(s) in layman's terms please? 

Consider the lower wishbone and the movemnt it performs it travels on an arc, now consider its resting place with the vehicle stationary, its pointing downwards, take the projection of the ball joint and the bushing to the ground (lets say 400mm).

Now imagine you are turning and the suspension is being compressed by 40mm now the lower wishbone is parallel to the road, taking the same measuremnts you would see the effective arm lenght is now (410mm) that means the lower ball joint is pushed outwards as the wishbone travels on its arc up to the 0deg point then its starts shortening and you loose camber again (this is how a vehicle is made to perform understeery in extreme loading scenarios).

Now consider that if you lower the vehicle your STATIC camber is going to be more but you will run out of camber gain much sooner since you are going to go past the parallel point faster meaning that with less load you start loosing camber.

Anyhow thats the simplest it can be explained but its much more complicated IRL and it involves roll centers virtual pivoting axes and all that mumbo jumbo.

In fact proper lowering should always consider roll centre correction aka ball joint spacers

Edited by Thefeliciahacker

Sorry but you have totally misunderstood my question, I asked what damage will be done to what structure(s) / component(s) / part(s) in layman's terms please, by this I mean something like the ball joints will fall apart/fracture/other or the wheels will fall off - physical damage.  Perhaps I misunderstood but the impression I got was that D.FYLAKTOS would damage or destroy something physical on his car by using 40mm lower springs.

What, what will be physically damaged or destroyed?

Or have I misunderstood and nothing gets physically damaged?

Spell it out for me please, is the car going to be hopping or crashing along the road surface - what is the problem?

You have put something about understeery (nicely non-technical word) but D.FYLAKTOS hasn't mentioned experiencing this with his set up.

The bit you put about mechanics made me laugh as you didn't qualify it to exclude present company.  Meeeow.  😄

I don't normally bother but - Happy New Year All.  😄  Ya gotta laff or yu'd cry.  😄

10 hours ago, nta16 said:

D.FYLAKTOS would damage or destroy something physical on his car by using 40mm lower springs.

I am using Apex lowering springs 30mm, not Eibach 40mm (i had them in the past).

According to Apex:

Ideally these lowering springs which will be firmer than the original spring would be fitted in conjunction with a good set of performance dampers such as the Koni STR.T or SPORT dampers which produce extra redound damping force to control the firmer spring.

So i am fine ! 😺

5 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

I am using Apex lowering springs 30mm, not Eibach 40mm (i had them in the past).

I would like to say the 40mm was a typo but it was my memory - 30mm or 40mm doesn't really matter to my questions unless it is that extra 10mm that causes any damages.

57 minutes ago, nta16 said:

unless it is that extra 10mm that causes any damages.

Much stiffer-more lower spring with (Koni) shock absorber in not so good condition means more burden in the system.

Lowering spring with OE shock absorber = disaster.

D.FYLAKTOS I was looking for, and waiting for, a simple answer from @Thefeliciahackeras to what will be physically damaged or destroyed as you seem to have not yet to discovered anything and then you, I and other viewers can be aware and you can keep an eye out on your car and as, much as you now can, minimise any damage.

1 hour ago, nta16 said:

I was looking for, and waiting for, a simple answer from @Thefeliciahackeras to what will be physically damaged or destroyed as you seem to have not yet to discovered anything

Nor the MOT tester, nor 2 mechanics that made a check, even the official Koni service have found anything.

I don't hear or feel anything wrong.

@Thefeliciahacker in the backyard is lifting the car and squeezes homself beneath it to check everything so says he knows better and i have a problem.

Tomorrow i will post the MOT results, he can read and understand better the indications.

You two can back and forth on this as much as you like, I am NOT taking sides on this (or extracting the urine or joking) when asking @Thefeliciahacker for his answer on what gets physically damage, I'm just curious and interested to know.

If your other adversary was really interested in keeping viewers and posters away from bad information or advice then he might stop with the availability of rope and give a brief and to the point answer of what will get physically damaged or destroyed and justifiably bring the thread to a conclusion.