Looking at Mk3 fabia estates probably monte carlo

Hi folks, 

I've had two mk1 fabia estates (10+ years now). Current one a 1.9 TDi Elegance. ULEZ starting in Edinburgh so I must change it. I've driven a low mileage 2019 110 monte carlo manual and while short on low down torque compared to my diesel, it seems to go fairly nicely. I think I'd quite like one.

I see there are quite a lot of 95BHP's. Are there any good attributes to one or is a 110 going to be much better? Perhaps I could remap a 95 ok? I think I'm right the 110's have a 6 speed rather than a 5, is that right? Is a manual 5 not so good with the TSI? If I'm spending £10k plus I should maybe consider a DSG. Would a DSG be better with a 95? 

Ride comfort seems excellent (almost surprisingly really, really good- better than I expected for a newish VAG group car) but while I like that aspect it almost feels like it could do with being a bit more taught. I just searched for uprated anti roll bars but it doesn't look like they exist. Pity. Had good results a couple of times in the past with them. There's mention of eibach springs with bilstein B8's I see, but this sounds like it could ruin the suppleness! 

Am I right a monte carlo is basically all cosmetic? It's interior/wheels/styling etc, nothing mechanical or suspension?

Anyone's experience or advice welcome. Thanks

I can only put about my wife's 2015, Mk3, hatch, 1.2 TSI, 90, 4-cylinder, SE, 5-speed manual.

@Rooted can give you info on the DSG boxes, there's enough computer program interference with manual boxes for me without introducing more but others will have other opinions and I haven't driven with a DSG (but other makes and and systems, Mercs, Renault-Nissan and other(s) I forget). 

As far as I can see from the various forums, threads and posts on here the Mk3 doesn't seem as well built as a Mk2 or Mk1, the later Mk2s at least weren't as well built as the Mk1s.

The 90 (1.2 TSI 4-cylinder) has more than enough when carry just the driver or driver and passenger but with a couple of extra people on board (or perhaps heavy luggage?) the difference is noticeable but depends on what you want and expect and what you drive on and how.  Obviously the torque is entirely different to a diesel and different muck coming out of the exhaust but perhaps less of it and none to see unlike the diesel on ordinary diesel fuel.

The 5-speed box in my wife's car is fine to the engine, depending on what car's you are used to driving it seems a bit slow and no so precise on change feel even for a family saloon but I've never fully believed in the 'German engineering quality' marketing for this century at least perhaps different models and boxes are better but the box in my wife's car is OK for its purpose.

Personally a 2019 car is as new as I would ever consider (I drive my neighbour's 23 plate Renault-Nissan) for all the stuff that has to be on the year of cars and all the driver's extra and computer programs' intrusions that stop or hinder the driver driving the car or stilting the driving pleasure, when available.

More sensors, modules, computer programs and the stop/start mean more computer joys' and battery use so I think back to the days of having and using a battery charger (and maintainer now).

On the plus side of the computers if you want to be more of a passenger behind the steering wheel there is more to help you with that and if you want higher mpg the potential is better with the newer cars.

Cabin spaced is very good for the size of the car, seats comfort is always a matter of personal size and shape.

The oversized wheels and tyres with narrow band is (? I think) even more exaggerated than earlier models and can be more so if you want.

Handling on the SE isn't sporting but any handling can be fun if you drive within it's (and your) limit.

My wife's car had to have the front dampers changed at 6years old and 41k-miles, a mate has a 29 year old Toyota Supra still on factory fitted dampers and springs all round and few parts ever replaced  a neighbour with a not so well looked after 20+ year old Toyota Yaris still on factory fitted dampers and springs and very few other parts replaced.

Don't get caught with paying for a cambelt change like we and many others have.

The computer programs can give all sorts of under bonnet engine noises you just have to let them get on with it and bumps/rattles/squeaks come from under the car on the earlier Mk3s at least it seems and they can be hard to locate or even stop it seems.

This might seem a strange thing to suggest but I would read the Owner's Manual for the car you are considering as it can tell you a lot about driving and owning the car how different it is to your present car(s). - https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

Others will hopefully be along to give you a more glowing review, I also drive another neighbour's 2005 small Korean car and I find that overall more comfortable than my wife's Fabia and a lot less annoying to drive than my other neighbour's 23 plate Renault Nissan with 5-speed manual and stop/start.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, silver50 said:

I see there are quite a lot of 95BHP's. Are there any good attributes to one or is a 110 going to be much better?

One thing you might have overlooked when comparing the Fabia MK3 1.0TSI with 95HP and 110HP engines is the size of the front brake discs, ie. the 110HP model has bigger front brake discs as shown in the chart below. So the mechanical differences aren't just limited to the 5 or 6 speed gearbox.

Size of front brake discs

Fabia MK3 1.0TSI 95HP 256x22mm

Fabia MK3 1.0TSI 110HP 288x25mm

Edited by Carlston

Good point.

12 minutes ago, Carlston said:

Size of front brake discs

Fabia MK3 1.0TSI 95HP 256x22mm

Fabia MK3 1.0TSI 110HP 288x25mm

Is there much loaded weight difference between a 95 and 110 - could that be more about marketing  and 'mine's bigger than yours' driver appeal or perhaps for a 110 owner to be expected to drive faster and brake harder, and perhaps later.  Better tyres help with better braking with 110 or 95 or 288 or 256.

As always each to their own and have what you want/need.

Thanks v much for the replies. Much appreciated. Particularly to nta16 for sharing his overall view of the car.

I’d agree the mk1’s do seem like survivors compared especially to Mk2’s.. I’ve a lot of reluctance to go so new with all the computerisation but the hope would be a good overall longer term ownership experience. 

i imagine I’m correct in saying the same applies to a Monte Carlo re the smaller brakes on a 95bhp. Also imagine I’m correct about them being all cosmetic etc regarding differences.

one serious gripe I have with the newer car (VAG generally it seems) is lack of seat heating. My mk1 Elegance has ‘em and I like them!! Can see me fitting aftermarket seat heating.

14 minutes ago, silver50 said:

i imagine I’m correct in saying the same applies to a Monte Carlo re the smaller brakes on a 95bhp. Also imagine I’m correct about them being all cosmetic etc regarding differences.

The Monte Carlo won't have the bigger front brakes if it's only got 95HP.

There's nothing special mechanically about the Monte Carlo.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Carlston said:

The Monte Carlo won't have the bigger front brakes if it's only got 95HP.

There's nothing special mechanically about the Monte Carlo.

Thanks

What's the position on remapping a 95 safely? 

2 hours ago, silver50 said:

one serious gripe I have with the newer car (VAG generally it seems) is lack of seat heating. My mk1 Elegance has ‘em and I like them!! Can see me fitting aftermarket seat heating.

That will put more load on battery and alternator on top of all the other electric heating, motors and electrics on the car so if not already fitted you might (only when required) changed to a larger Ah and perhaps AGM (fleece) 12v battery.  If required, even more reason for preventative battery charging and maintaining as the computers run on 5v and they don't usually like the battery getting too low and may make you suffer for that perhaps even before many  warning messages and lights.

IIRC my wife's 2015 car thinks a car battery is for 5 years (and the alarm battery) owners have proved this to be very pessimistic but it does rely on the owner/driver and and 2019 car owners seem more accepting to a battery life of 5 or 4 years.  Only one small thing but it does highlight differences between  2006, 2011, 2015 and 2019 models.

I could also be wrong (as I am often) but I personally can't see a 2019 Mk3 Fabia being as good overall longer term ownership experience as a Mk1 or 2006, 2011 model of car, I think the pinnacle has passed but who knows it might return and be surpassed.

I've seen others put about remapping for mpg rather than power or ego figures but I've no idea how this affects their insurance and can't remember seeing it on 95 but I might have forgotten, not noticed or missed it.

Plenty of threads about mapping here and IIRC recently on mpg mapping and of course power and ego figures but I think you'd be after torque figures and so perhaps mpg too rather than max bhp power and ego figures.

VWSkoda isn't the only fruit on the market and Fabia not the only variety if you want VWSkoda, perhaps a slightly different and/or larger and more luxurious model may suit you and be ULEZ.

You can get heated seats in a Fabia III.

I have them in mine, it was part of the winter pack.

Still on the original normal sized 027EFB battery after over seven years and 78K miles.

Thanks. AG Falco

• Like 1