Any idea what this noise is?

You don't say what motor you have and whether it's petrol or diesel, but my first thought would be timing chain tensioner slipper pad worn through with chain rubbing on the metal of the tensioner.

she sounds diesely, and law of averages and fuel type sales of new cars back in 08 , id hedge a bet on its a tdi, but if it is as mike suggested, and it does sound rough and horrible, petrols can sound diesely...

id lean toward agreeing though, and look at the chain tensioner.

2 hours ago, MikeTheThinker said:

You don't say what motor you have and whether it's petrol or diesel, but my first thought would be timing chain tensioner slipper pad worn through with chain rubbing on the metal of the tensioner.

11 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

she sounds diesely, and law of averages and fuel type sales of new cars back in 08 , id hedge a bet on its a tdi, but if it is as mike suggested, and it does sound rough and horrible, petrols can sound diesely...

id lean toward agreeing though, and look at the chain tensioner.

Definitely a diesel - the 'TDI' marking on the engine cover gives it away. That and the four rubber pipes coming off the diesel filter ;) 

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Definitely a diesel - the 'TDI' marking on the engine cover gives it away. That and the four rubber pipes coming off the diesel filter ;) 

I think that calls for a resounding "DUH!" on my part and apologies to the OP for the misdirect.

As it's a weasel I can't think of anything that would make that sort of noise but I'm sure someone else will be able to.

• Like 1

Today, I called the RAC out to tow me to my local garage. On arriving, they insisted on starting the engine as they were unable to simply tow me down the road on my instructions.

So we started it up and ran it for 5 minutes and guess what that sound was not there! I felt a right dork!

However he did pick up the rattle I do know about which is the dual mass flywheel. The RAC man suggested that the noise I heard could be a sign of further deterioration of the DMF

I have the car's MOT booked for 7th Feb so will be driving it locally to see if it reappears in the meantime. Depending on the outcome of the MOT, I shall then decide whether its worth spending 1k on a repair for a 2008 car with 147k on the clock.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, @Lee said:

distracted by focussing on the noise and having read the other post :D

• Like 1