Which all season tyre?

xman

2 minutes ago, Rooted said:

I have been around plenty vehicle inspections of crashed vehicles by Police and Insurance investigators and seen plenty mixed tyres on cars.

This sort of nonsense is what gets trotted out and has been getting done for years about mixing tyre types.

In my recent experience some companies will attempt to wriggle out of first party claims. 

I think it's got much worse recently, along with the huge hike in premiums.  I just paid 50% more for my recent renewal than I did last year.  

However, more importantly, there is a significant difference in grip between all-season / winter rubber and ordinary "summer" tyres on low friction surfaces.  Unless you're pretty adept at a bit of drifting, I wouldn't recommend it. 

Huge hike in premiums for some.  Plenty have had near no increase.  But that's how it goes. 

Then those losing it on snow or ice or just the wet on Summer tyres need to be a bit handy or lucky as well.  

Maybe tyres never looked at since a MOT or tyres checked at a service or when changed make for fun and and are rather common. 

There will be people out in this weeks weather warning with new cars and maybe the pressures as they were when the car left the factory and they were over inflated for the transportation.   Never reset at the PDI or checked when collected.

Edited by Rooted

@Rooted we've discussed similar in another thread and your thoughts on the condition of tyres "checked" at last MOT certainly rings true with my findings in local carparks etc. The number of times I've seen tyres worn so far to be bald is frightening. They must be crazy hard to drive on in the slightest be of wet.

Tyre types aside, you need to be legal as a bare minimum.

On 29/01/2024 at 12:49, xman said:

Did you measure the tread depths when new?

The last Continental premium contacts I bought had less than 7mm tread depth when new and they also wore pretty quickly. That was a long time ago now before my policy to switch to all season.

Funny you should mention tread depth -

• Crossclimate

I measured my last Crossclimate 2's when I bought them for my Superb mkII @7mm. I've always been a fan of the Crossclimate and have had a couple of sets - I usually get about 35k miles out of them. They are quiet but I'd say when they are getting towards the end of life at certain slow speeds in hot weather they have a slight "hum". However the road noise levels were transformed compared to the previous Continental (& original) summer tyres and the Crossclimates are astounding in really really wet weather. In the recent wintry stuff they were pretty good, and I've occasionally driven in very hot weather on lengthy summer European trips (well not during Covid!!) and performance was good.

• Goodyear Vector

I also measured some Goodyear Vector 2's that I had fitted to Mrs BJ's Panda last year @a smidge under 9mm. Thus far I can't comment re longevity of these as the Panda only does low mileage but driving wise they seem good. Pretty quiet and it sticks to roundabouts like a limpet. In the recent wintery weather you kind of didn't notice - which is a good thing!

• Like 1

I replaced the awful 19in Bridgestones on our Karoq just after we bought it last year with Michelin CrossClimate2s. I’d previously had them on a Subaru Forester and Land Rover Freelander and never been disappointed.

Check out the Tyre section here as I posted up a Michelin offer I’d received - cashback for a minimum of 2 tyres from any retailer and up to £100 for 4, depending on size. Bought mine at a discounted price through Camskill and then took the cashback offer although they were only giving £60, mind you that pretty much covered my fitters costs 👍

Edited by BTandSid
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Funny you should mention tread depth -

• Crossclimate

I measured my last Crossclimate 2's when I bought them for my Superb mkII @7mm. I've always been a fan of the Crossclimate and have had a couple of sets - I usually get about 35k miles out of them. They are quiet but I'd say when they are getting towards the end of life at certain slow speeds in hot weather they have a slight "hum". However the road noise levels were transformed compared to the previous Continental (& original) summer tyres and the Crossclimates are astounding in really really wet weather. In the recent wintry stuff they were pretty good, and I've occasionally driven in very hot weather on lengthy summer European trips (well not during Covid!!) and performance was good.

• Goodyear Vector

I also measured some Goodyear Vector 2's that I had fitted to Mrs BJ's Panda last year @a smidge under 9mm. Thus far I can't comment re longevity of these as the Panda only does low mileage but driving wise they seem good. Pretty quiet and it sticks to roundabouts like a limpet. In the recent wintery weather you kind of didn't notice - which is a good thing!

The 235 45 18 Goodyear 4season Gen 3 just fitted I've measured at 8mm near the centre of the tread.

IIRC Michelin answered my query on tread depths a few years ago and said new crossclimates (the original one) could be as little as 6.9 mm in the centre and less toward the edge, depending on size of tyre.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BTandSid said:

Check out the Tyre section here as I posted up a Michelin offer I’d received - cashback for a minimum of 2 tyres from any retailer and up to £100 for 4, depending on size. Bought mine at a discounted price through Camskill and then took the cashback offer although they were only giving £60, mind you that pretty much covered my fitters costs 👍

I have used Camskill a few times in the past but nowadays I find they are rarely competitive for the tyres I want.

Another problem is many tyre places like kwikfit refuse to fit tyres not supplied by them and those that do quote silly prices e.g. £27 per tyre to fit them. I used to used a back street outfit at £10 per tyre but the last time they made a complete mess of the alloy.

Having it done on my drive is just so much less hassle than sitting in a grubby tyre centre not knowing whether they jacked up the car properly without damage or used a torque wrench. The past 3 experiences with tyresonthedrive have been excellent, and cheaper than anywhere else to boot.  Whats not to like?

3 hours ago, xman said:

I have used Camskill a few times in the past but nowadays I find they are rarely competitive for the tyres I want.

Another problem is many tyre places like kwikfit refuse to fit tyres not supplied by them and those that do quote silly prices e.g. £27 per tyre to fit them. I used to used a back street outfit at £10 per tyre but the last time they made a complete mess of the alloy.

Having it done on my drive is just so much less hassle than sitting in a grubby tyre centre not knowing whether they jacked up the car properly without damage or used a torque wrench. The past 3 experiences with tyresonthedrive have been excellent, and cheaper than anywhere else to boot.  Whats not to like?

I used Camskill many years ago and then again last year for the CrossClimates as they had a special deal on just at the time I was looking to buy.
I’m pretty sure though the Michelin cashback offer is available regardless of where you buy them, ‘Tyres on the Drive’ or whatever they’re called would surely be a qualifying retailer. So you buy from ‘TotD’ at their price and then claim cashback from Michelin.
I’m fortunate in that I’ve found a very good independent tyre place less than five mile away and trust them for advice as well as their work 

I only wanted 2 tyres, the Michelin offer is £24 for 2x 18 inch tyres.

Camskill plus delivery £303.40 less £24 Michelin promo plus say £20 per tyre fitting if I shop around plus a minimum of 2 hours of driving and waiting in a cold dirty workshop waiting room. £320 total plus petrol and my time.

I paid £272 for the Goodyears and didn't have to leave home!

I've used Crossclimates before on one of our Fabias (16 inch). They went oval/ non circular and became very noisy as I explained earlier. So wary about using them again even if they were cheaper. Michelin are usually the most expensive by far.

6 hours ago, xman said:

The 235 45 18 Goodyear 4season Gen 3 just fitted I've measured at 8mm near the centre of the tread.

Good to know for future reference - I might try a set on the Superb next time but I'll be stuck with them for 4 years these days as my annual mileage has substantially dropped. I have 205/55 r16's om my Poverty spec version but love the amazing ride quality. They might see the car out in my ownership - I think I'm aiming for another 5 years as it's condition is excellent thus far!  We shall see - I've been put off considering a change as prices are bonkers and I still rather like the old bus.