Which all season tyre?

xman

2018 1.4 SEL Exec Hatchback

Tyre size 235 45 18

After 55,000 miles the front OE P7 tyres are getting very near 2mm in the central ⅓ band. The outer ⅓ bands have more than 3mm. It looks like its time to get them changed before next month's MOT.

I want to fit a pair of all season tyres. Either Michelin CC2 available as 94 or 98XL or Goodyear 4 Season G3 (XL)

Any comments as to which of these 3 best suits my car? Longevity, low noise and comfort are important.

Rear P7 tyres are still over 5mm, in good condition and will stay on.

Can recommend both those tyres so I'd go with whichever you can get the better deal on.

As a side comment, you mention only doing the front. It's not advisable having different tyre types across the car. It's also advisable to have the best tyres on the rear should there be a difference in tread depth. Plenty info online (particularly "tyre reviews" YouTube channel) if you want to know why.

11 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

As a side comment, you mention only doing the front. It's not advisable having different tyre types across the car. It's also advisable to have the best tyres on the rear should there be a difference in tread depth. Plenty info online (particularly "tyre reviews" YouTube channel) if you want to know why.

Yes I know and don't want to turn this thread into a front/back discussion.

I'd be interested to know how the Goodyear stacks up against the Michelin regarding longevity.

Im surprised that the OE P7 wore so well, 55,000 miles for a front set! Rears not even half worn. In great condition and very safe handling. Only bad point is they are noisy on certain road surfaces.

• Like 1

Now had Michelin crossclimate 2s  235/40/R19  XL  on my 2.0TSI  SEL Hatchback for over a year and they have transformed the ride quality . Great handling, low noise and although pricy are in my opinion worth it. Would have no hesitation in replacing with the same when eventually they wear out

10 hours ago, xman said:

Yes I know and don't want to turn this thread into a front/back discussion.

I'd be interested to know how the Goodyear stacks up against the Michelin regarding longevity.

Im surprised that the OE P7 wore so well, 55,000 miles for a front set! Rears not even half worn. In great condition and very safe handling. Only bad point is they are noisy on certain road surfaces.

I'd be surprised if you got anywhere near 55k with either of those.  Although not fully winter rated they are still softer than a typical touring tyre so will wear a bit quicker. Mine (cross climates) have done a good few thousand and i've not been disappointed.  Though they do wear faster in summer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have the Goodyear's and am very happy with them so far. They certainly performed well in the snow in Germany in December, can't comment on the wear as yet as it's still pretty early days and I will swap them for my summer tyres around the end of April.

@Rooted Rating aside, yes they are certainly capable in winter and massively out perform "summer" tyres in such conditions.  But those who have compared them to equivalent quality winter tyre (of the like we get in the UK) they are not quite as good. My comment on the "winter rated"ness was misplaced and was aimed at the capability rather than what's written on them.

I know you have a fair bit experience with various tyres so I'll leave it there.

Probably going to go with the Goodyears as they are considerably cheaper (almost £100 cheaper ea) at National Tyres than alternatives. Hope the prices don't change in the next 2-3 weeks🤞

I'll move the rear P7 tyres to the front if the fitters will oblige so wear shouldn't be an issue for now.

I've run both original Michelin CC and Goodyear 4Season g2 in the past on our Fabias and Octavias.

The Michelins both became unevenally worn (with significant tread depth variations in large patches) , non circular and very noisy but there were also many issues associated with the car (4 sets of inner track rods followed by a new steering rack and collapsed bearings in the final drive) and I'm not sure if the Skoda dealers attempts at rebuilding suspensions and tracking adjustments had something to do with it. Never seen that kind of wear on a tyre before and difficult to see,

4 minutes ago, numskull said:

Conti All Season. Fantastic tyres and soooo quiet too. 

Did you measure the tread depths when new?

The last Continental premium contacts I bought had less than 7mm tread depth when new and they also wore pretty quickly. That was a long time ago now before my policy to switch to all season.

For anyone interested in detailed tyre analysis, I came across this guy who claims to be a tyre designer for the last 5 years. His reviews and analysis seem to be the most unbiased I've seen and reveals the compromises tyre manufacturers face when designing a tyre. I.e. there is no perfect tyre...

https://tiredriver.com/goodyear-vector-4seasons-gen-3-review/

https://tiredriver.com/michelin-crossclimate-2-review/

https://tiredriver.com/continental-allseasoncontact-2-review/

https://tiredriver.com/improving-dry-performance-all-season-tires/

https://tiredriver.com/comparisons-reviews/

Edited by xman
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, xman said:

Did you measure the tread depths when new?

IIRC, I think they were 8mm. They’ve done 8k since I got them in Dec 23 so I can measure them and report back. 

9 hours ago, xman said:

I came across this guy who claims to be a tyre designer for the last 5 years.

WHAT - a whole FIVE YEARS?!!? Clearly he’s the goto SME then… 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He did a not scientific test while Covid and Lock down had Ski Centres closed to anyone not from that local area and when there was no snow on the roads, which he would have known by just looking at the Transport Scotland Traffic Cameras and the Snow Gate and Ski Centre Webcams.

'Guide dogs for the stupid!' anyone.

Edited by Rooted

I decided to order Goodyear 4seasons gen 3

£272 for 2 tyres fitted at home by tyresonthedrive.com

Michelin CCs would have been £350+ and involve driving to a fitting centre.

• Like 2

Good choice.

I've the Gen3 on my Superb since the summer. Had Gen2s on my old Signum previously.

I rate them so much that they are on all the cars in this household.

The guy from tyresonthedrive (halfords) came this morning and fitted 2 new Goodyear 4seasons in around 20 mins. Very efficient and courteous service, only gripes are he wouldn't do a tyre rotation so I have the new all seasons on the front and 50% worn P7's on the back. Job time doesn't allow him to do it even if I paid him.

The other is he set the tyres to 38psi, my car requires 32psi, I think he looked at the wrong variant - maybe the diesel. But easily corrected and I also reset the tyre monitoring myself

• Like 1

Good, if you are out on the road or a motorway in the next days or anytime and cars / vans / HGV,s ate not getting grip / traction and movement then no point you being in the ame boat even if you are stuck the same as them until someone gets them moved.

The 'Expert Advice' might be best tyres on the rear, but that is all good and well once moving, but no use if you can not get up even a slight uphill. 

If you drive carefully you should able to keep the rear following the front and not overtaking you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xman said:

The tyre fitter did say the majority of customers fitting all seasons like me, fit them on the front, for the grip. Presumably fwd.

Personally, I'd much rather have more grip on the front.  I'd rather be catching a bit of oversteer rather than trying to deal with terminal understeer.  I didn't understand why you'd intended putting all-season tyres on the rear of a FWD car when the primary reason you mentioned was 

the forecast for snow.  I once had great fun in a friend's Polo, fitted with winter tyres on the front and summer tyres on the rear, hanging the rear out on snow covered roundabouts.   The going and stopping in poor conditions is contingent upon front wheel adhesion.  

Having said that, the advice is always to fit all-season or winter tyres to all four wheels.  If you bin it with them fitted to only one pair of wheels, your insurance company might be reluctant to honour and claim in full.  

*******s.

Totally legal size, speed and load rating tyres with the correct tread depths.

The loss adjuster would really be taking the pith trying putting in their report than there were Summer Bias tyres on one axle and Summer bias tyres with 3 peak winter certification on the other. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rooted said:

*******s.

Totally legal size, speed and load rating tyres with the correct tread depths.

The loss adjuster would really be taking the pith trying putting in their report than there were Summer Bias tyres on one axle and Summer bias tyres with 3 peak winter certification on the other. 

I don't believe you.  Please feel free to go and test it out in practice and report back.  👍

• Groan 1

I have been around plenty vehicle inspections of crashed vehicles by Police and Insurance investigators and seen plenty mixed tyres on cars.

This sort of nonsense is what gets trotted out and has been getting done for years about mixing tyre types.

Voiding insurance on Stretched tyres might be a starter for 10, or the crap odd tyre that some of Scotlands biggest Car Dealership Groups fit would be Simply Clever. 

Edited by Rooted