Replace old front shocks on combi 2.0 diesel, are vrs shocks a straight swap

I have a weeping front shock, going to replace both but was wondering if i could put on vrs shocks for a better ride through the corners. Will do rears as well next month on payday. I want to improve the cornering and take out some of the roll. It is a 4 wheel drive. I have looked at skoda parts but cannot find out if parts are vrs or for other models. 

Just because he has 4wd he needs scout suspension? 

OP if the shock diameter is right the vrs parts should work*. Just bear in mind that vrs springs are slightly lowered compared to stock height. If it's better performance parts you want maybe consider bilstein B6. They are stock height but the same damping as the B8 sports shock.

* There's 2 sizes. 50mm and 55mm. That's the diameter at the lower end of the shock where it joins the hub carrier. You should be able to get access to measure it if you turn the steering to full lock.

Edited by MarkyG82

If you want some free VRS springs your are welcome to mine, just cover postage. They have come off a car with 55mm struts.

As above, struts are in two sizes, 50 and 55mm. VRS struts will make it feel stiffer so depends on what you are after. 

4 hours ago, Dooge said:

If you want some free VRS springs your are welcome to mine, just cover postage. They have come off a car with 55mm struts.

As above, struts are in two sizes, 50 and 55mm. VRS struts will make it feel stiffer so depends on what you are after. 

The 2WD VRS springs won't be stiff enough to support the weight of the 4x4...particularly the rear springs.

Edited by Carlston

17 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

...There's 2 sizes. 50mm and 55mm...

On the Octavia MK3, the pattern seems to be that cars up to 150HP have front shock absorbers with 50mm struts, and cars with more than 150HP have front shock absorbers with 55mm struts. This coincides with only the cars with more than 150HP having the biggest 312x25mm or 340x30mm front brake discs.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

@Carlston Does the 150 Scout not have 55mm shocks? I thought it went with 4x4 too.

I think you will find that the Scout 150HP has 288x25mm front brakes and front shock absorbers with 50mm struts.

Jurid on autodoc makes no mention of any Octavia MK3 with 150HP having bigger front brakes than 288x25mm...and which wheel bearing housings (aka. steering knuckles) you get depends on the size of the front brakes. It's the steering knuckle that decides whether the front shock absorbers have 50mm or 55mm struts.

Wheel bearing housing (aka. steering knuckle)

5Q0407255N Left wheel bearing housing 1ZF (80mm wheel bearing) (front shock absorber with 50mm strut)

5Q0407255Q Left wheel bearing housing 1ZE (80mm wheel bearing) (front shock absorber with 50mm strut)

5Q0407253A Left wheel bearing housing 1ZA 1ZB 1LG (85mm wheel bearing) (front shock absorber with 55mm strut)

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/skoda/CZ/OCT/753/4

Build code decoder

1ZF=276x24mm front brake discs

1ZE=288x25mm front brake discs

1ZA=312x25mm front brake discs

1ZB=312x25mm front brake discs

1LG=340x30mm front brake discs

https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/skoda/CZ/OCT/753/6

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 2

Are you sure they need replacing? I had a MK2 Octavia for 13 years from nearly new and occasionally had "observations" when tested of misting. Sold it with 150K on the clock and original shocks with an MOT from a very picky examiner. 

Sorry i have not replied to anyone earlier, your belp has been greatlg appreciated. Thank you everyone. I have the 50mm shocks so alas the vrs will not fit. The octavia i jave is the 4x4 2.0tdi in sel trim. I jave decided to go with MarkyG suggestion of the B6. I do load it up when we go away so the stiffer shockers will help. As for greenmachines comment, yes i have had misting for last fes years, i get a bang when i go over a certain bump and yet it does not happen in other cars. The springs are ok and so is the top mount. Carlston is a wizz with finding data i must agree. 

• Like 1