New Shock absorbers, is it worth it?

HI all,

I have been reading on this forum about how much riding improvement you get by installing a Bilstein B6 shock absorbers.

I own Skoda Karoq with 26k miles on it and I am not a great fun of front suspension over small potholes and especially speed bumps, seems a bit crashy.

My question is, can I upgrade to Bilstein just front shock absorbers and leave the rear ones OEM (at least for now)?

Will it improve the riding quality as much as it does with the Superb?

Also, the car is on PCP for another 2.5 years, if I do change front shocks with not OEM items will it have an effect at the end of the term financially?

Thanks to anyone for any input.

I would check with the car owner, the PCP company, before doing such work.  Here's just one article, first found on a quick search so you will be able to find others and decide for yourself which if any of them might be right - always cross reference, with if possible a couple of other reliable sources  any information you get from any source including manufacturers. -https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/can-i-modify-my-car-on-a-pcp/ 

Easiest thing to do is read the contract and/or contact the company and get the answer in writing.

All modern cars have oversized wheel and tyres for fashion, as the car manufacturers and most buyers want, usually unless you already have them fitted a smaller wheel size is available and this is combined with a tyre of higher profile (higher side wall) this subject to tyre type usually gives more air and 'rubber' cushioning to the likes of potholes, obviously can't do miracles.

The PCP company may feel more included towards a change of wheel and tyre than a change to dampers as they may see the dampers as a modification but you would have to ask them as I'm only guessing and they might say the smaller wheels would devalue the car as they're not fashionable or "standard" - but you can explain that you will keep the original wheels and tyres and refit them to the car if you surrender (or whatever the correct term is) the car to them.  Explain why you want to make either change.

The smaller wheels do need to fit over your brakes and your model spec of course.

If you have a look (and/or post) in the Karoq (or Tyres and Wheels) forum(s) you will see many owners chose to downsize their wheels for more comfort.  Grip and handling is a lot about the design and make up of the tyre rather than just its size so a good smaller tyre can outperform a larger not so good tyre.

HTH, cheers.

Edited by nta16
change of wording
  • Thanks 1

I've just had a quick look at a wheel size site and if thier info is correct and you have 17" wheels dropping to 16" wheels, if you could, only give 0.4" (9mm) extra sidewall so probably not worthwhile but other Karoq owners may know.  Changing from (silly) 19" wheels to 18" or 18" to 17", if possible, both would be more of a difference (all subject to wheel and tyre size comparison websites info being correct.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/skoda/karoq/2019/

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Edited by nta16
spelling

1 hour ago, nta16 said:

I've just had a quick look at a wheel size site and if thier info is correct and you have 17" wheels dropping to 16" wheels, if you could, only give 0.4" (9mm) extra sidewall so probably not worthwhile but other Karoq owners may know.  Changing from (silly) 19" wheels to 18" or 18" to 17", if possible, both would be more of a difference (all subject to wheel and tyre size comparison websites info being correct.

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/skoda/karoq/2019/

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Hi, thanks for a reply and heads up, I will check your first link.

I considered smaller size alloys as a winter set but then decided to buy a good comfortable tyres and got myself Pirrelli all season which are much better then original Bridgestone. 

I am thinking why would I need to contact finance company? For example, if I hit a pothole and in a need to change a shock absorber, am I not allowed to fit what is available I.e an upgraded part? Fair enough it might be considered as a modification for insurance purposes but it is not like I am lowering the car, new shock will be doing the same job as the old one, well, I am speculating here as I don't have enough information/knowledge. 

Do all the owners who upgraded their shock absorbers needed to report this change to insurance?

I will do more reading anyway but a straight advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Do bear in mind what I put about any information from any source.

If you need to replace a part it is probably expected that whilst the vehicle is owned by the PCP company that you fit factory parts or perhaps OE/OEM equivalent and not upgraded parts - best to check with PCP owner.

Owners that make modifications to their vehicles do need to notify their insurance so obviously best to check beforehand in case it's a no or increase in premium, depends on your insurance policy/insurer.

Same could be so for changing wheel size with both but if the wheels are also specified for the model I would guess they are unlikely to decline, cheap insurance and you might have to pay an admin fee or use your charm and good looks to talk them out of any fee.

Check your PCP contract and see who owns the car and when, and think what you would allow and trust someone, who is using your car that you own, to do.

Also not all upgrades are improvements, but I have no idea about Bilstein B6, I have no qualms about mods to a car, I put Bilstein dampers and (lowered) Eibach springs ("BMW set up") and a sports exhaust and K&N element engine filter on when I took over my Fiat Cinquecento Sporting from my wife when she bought another car.  But we both owned the car outright so could do as we pleased (once the car was out of warranty, it was a Fiat!).

Edited by nta16
  • Thanks 1

I have just read the carexpert review on mods, looks like it is a pretty dodgy thing to do any mods like that and not worth it. Oh well, it was worth to ask knowledgably people in here.

@nta16 thanks for your input.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you - but -

remember what I put, don't just trust one thing on the internet and some bloke like me on the internet (especially me as I make loads of mistakes, misremember and forget lots, that's if I ever had it right in the first place).  Check with the PCP and/or insurance company, allowing for who answers the phone isn't necessarily an expert in the subject.

I'm not saying I'm wrong but very often I have been, many times, luckily I can't remember the very many and no longer care about most other times, a car is nothing, never worry too much about it, but people are irreplaceable, even me  (sighs of relief over the land).  😀 

• Like 1

Bilstein B6 shock absorbers aren't a modification as far as car insurance is concerned. Someone previously contacted their insurance company to confirm this.

If they were, the insurance companies would have to decide which aftermarket replacement shock absorbers modified your car and which aftermarket shock absorbers didn't modify your car. This would be an impossible task for the insurance companies.

If the outside appearance of the aftermarket replacement shock absorbers looks similar to the original ones then they are not modifying the car.

Sometimes, Bilstein B6 absorbers are very similar internally to Bilstein B4 shock absorbers. If in doubt about this, then check the Bilstein B6 shock absorbers that Bilstein sells for Dacias. They just look like Bilstein B4 shock absorbers that have been painted yellow, and are sold at a low price. So Bilstein B6 doesn't always mean you are getting anything special.

Most aftermarket shock absorbers are not identical to what was fitted in the factory. The aftermarket shock absorber brands use a one size fits all approach because they sell one shock absorber to replace possibly dozens of factory fitted shock absorbers. So technically, nearly all aftermarket shock absorbers are different from standard but are not regarded as a modification.

Bilstein B4 front shock absorber (for the Karoq)

thumb?id=14433633&m=0&n=0&lng=en&rev=94077853

Bilstein B6 front shock absorber (for Karoq)

thumb?id=9612727&m=0&n=0&lng=en&rev=94077853

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Carlston thanks, it is useful information too and you put me back on thinking of changing the front shocks. :) Perhaps I do need to check insurance and finance for this change.

I was hoping for more input from people who did change the OEM shocks to B6, are they still happy with the change? Is it worth it?

Also, can I only change the front pair and keep rear ones OEM?

Thanks

12 hours ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

If you do have any issues with insurance at all for a change of suspension then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

Hi Dan, thanks for offer, I will see what is happening with this.

Every time I see AdrianFlux on forums, I am thinking that I should get in touch prior my insurance renewal and when time comes to renew I forget. 

@Vlady I told you not to trust some bloke on the internet (me).  😄

If the Bilstein B6 are just an upgrade in performance and durability because they are better built that's just an alternative replacement part but if they are a different design rate(s) of damping compared to factory dampers that may well be another matter, you'd have to check, I've no idea.  Ignoring the colour difference in the photos of B4 and B6 examples Carlston has posted for you they look significantly different to me.

Just because one or more people have contacted one of more insurance companies I can assure you that doesn't mean your insurance or PCP will give the same answer, you could try to persuade them that other insurance companies accept this (but, and with full respect to Carlston, at the moment you have no real proof of this as its just hearsay) and if they decline you ask whoever you talk to go and check for sure.  Or if they accept you should get written conformation, a good insurance or PCP company should be able provide written conformation (yes or no) easily.

2 hours ago, Vlady said:

I was hoping for more input from people who did change the OEM shocks to B6, are they still happy with the change? Is it worth it?

I apologise, I thought I would have made the following suggestion at the start as I often do but see I didn't.  You might get more responses and more direct information by posting your question in the Karoq forum. - https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/365-škoda-karoq/

I'm not sure how much changing dampers might improve going over small potholes and especially speed bumps compared to factory dampers (when new) or a change of wheel size if possible or better dampers would improve the ride overall.  Dampers of different rate(s) may be better or not as good overall, or better or not as good, over small potholes and speed bumps.  Plus as with many things, like tyre selection, different people have different perceptions, expectations and driving styles.

2 hours ago, Vlady said:

Also, can I only change the front pair and keep rear ones OEM?

Yes you can, certainly with 'factory' replacement dampers but whether that is the best or a good idea overall if fitting the B6, again I'd suggest asking Karoq owners who had done it.  Many/some(?) may have just opted for a downsize on the wheels if that was possible.

On my wife's 2015 Mk3 Fabia we had to change the front dampers as a "distress purchase" (MoT find) after only 6 years and 41k-miles use, and I've seen other Fabia Mk3 owners on here with the same issue, when I know one 20+ year old Toyota  and another 25+ year old Toyota that are still on factory fitted from new dampers, suggesting to me that the early Mk3 Fabias at least had poorer quality dampers fitted at the factory.

Very little about modern cars seems to be as simple and straightforward as you'd hope but so much is expected by us as customers (or consumers for some) from the vehicles, customer wants and fashions don't always relate to what is sensible or practical but that's another long subject.

Edited by nta16
typos
  • Like 1

@Carlston I totally agree with your post particular the "when fitting aftermarket shock absorbers that are similar to the factory fitted ones" and the "if the ride height hasn't changed".  Same as the insurance company I've no idea what dampers are fitted to a Karoq or how similar or not B4 and B6 are to them, if they're equivalent then they can just be replaced as a repair anyway.

Vlady's OP was about an upgrade to a PCP car not using OEM and if that would affect anything plus I was suggesting a change of wheel size.  Perhaps the word upgrade is the problem, as relating to modification, I did try to cover this.  If the B6 are similar/equivalent then there's no need to contact the insurance but I did put to check all information including from me.  I've no idea what's in the PCP contract again if the B6 are similar/equivalent you'd imagine the PCP provider would be happy that newer dampers were on their vehicle if they have it back - well, in reality they'd not really know (even perhaps if told) or care at the end and it and would make no real odds to car's value to them.

I wasn't against anything you put or disagreeing if the B6 dampers are similar/equivalent just that as Vlady's been reading about how much ride improvement with B6 on Superbs a bit more checking all round for their model and situation wouldn't hurt. I wasn't prepared to put do as you please as the insurance and PCP are unlikely to find out unless it's on a computer record or they have to do an inspection, if someone is concerned they need to do proper checks, anyone can, including you and I, say and advise on what usually or generally happens - again if the B6 are similar/equivalent I can't see an issue against OEM but it's not me or me with a PCP contract.

In answer to Vlady's other questions do you know please -

• will the B6 improve the riding quality as much as it does with the Superb
  • will they be better over small potholes and speed humps
  • will it matter at all about leaving the rear factory dampers?

A.thumb.jpg.fd1f83c89fdff65477b37629a12ba487.jpgB.thumb.jpg.0abe7c2b93fd2e59fbb3c7aa994f50bc.jpg

Edited by nta16
typos

5 hours ago, nta16 said:

...In answer to Vlady's other questions do you know please -

• will the B6 improve the riding quality as much as it does with the Superb
  • will they be better over small potholes and speed humps
  • will it matter at all about leaving the rear factory dampers?

Bilstein B6 shock absorbers tend to be fitted for more controlled and firmer damping.

If the OP just wants new front shock absorbers without replacing the rear shock absorbers, I suggest he takes a look at the standard Bilstein B4, KYB, or Sachs options. These will hopefully closely match the standard rear shock absorbers that he already has on the car.

If the OP has the 19" wheels on a front wheel drive Karoq, ie. 225/40R19 on 8J rims then changing to smaller diameter rims such as 16" or 17" would make a big difference to ride comfort.

As the car is on a PCP contract, he will probably be limited to the standard Skoda tyre and rim choices, ie. 215/60R16 6Jx16 ET43 and 215/55R17 7Jx17 ET45.

17" might provide the best compromise between handling and comfort, but see details of the 215/60R16 fitted to a relatively wide 7J option near the end of this post because 16" rims might turn out to be the best option. For much cheaper rims you could consider 6.5Jx17 ET38 steel rims from the Kodiaq with the 215/55R17 tyre size. However, this is non-standard on the Karoq but the outside edges of the 6.5J ET38 rims would have exactly the same position in the wheelarch as the 7J ET45 rims, so it would take an expert to realise they weren't standard Karoq rims. Perhaps get the much cheaper option and change back to the original wheels when it's time to hand the car back. As a benefit, the slightly narrower 6.5J rims will slightly improve the ride comfort further compared to the 7J rims.

Ratikon 7Jx17 ET45 5/112 57.1 alloy rims (215/55R17) (from Karoq)

Alu kolo Ratikon 17" Karoq

Alu kolo Ratikon 17" Karoq

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/alu-kola/c/alloyWheels?q=%3ApriceAsc%3AcarType%3AKaroq%2B%282017%2B%29%3ArimDiameter%3A17%22%3ArimDiameter%3A16%22&text=#

6.5Jx17 ET38 5/112 57.1 steel rim (215/55R17) (from Kodiaq)

ALCAR 9021

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/alcar/14750807?search=ALCAR+Rim+(9021)

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rims/details?vehicleId=639488607098246256&rimCode=ALCAR9021

Wheel trims for 6.5Jx17 ET38 5/112 57.1 steel rims (from Kodiaq)

Sada poklic Borneo 17"

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/sada-poklic-borneo-17/p/565071457++Z31

One further non-standard 17" option is the non-standard 225/50R17 tyre size fitted to the standard 7Jx17 ET45 rim size. You might choose this option because you like the look of the wider tyre size, and/or it better protects the 7J rim, and/or it's a cheaper tyre size, and/or you can only get the tyre you want in the 225/50R17 tyre size (eg. Vredestein Quatrac 6 comes in 225/50R17, but not 215/55R17).

As you can see in the chart below, 225/50R17 has an outside diameter 1.1% smaller than the standard 16" tyre size on the Karoq front wheel drive. Up to 1.5% difference between standard and non-standard tyre sizes is generally considered to be only a small difference.

Outside diameter of tyre

215/60R16 664.4mm

225/50R17 656.8mm (1.1% smaller compared to 215/60R16)

Some 16" options

If you want more comfort than 17" provides, then 16" is the way to go. As well as the standard 215/60R16 6Jx16 ET43 option, there's also non-standard options such as 215/60R16 6.5Jx16 ET43, and 215/60R16 7Jx16 ET45, etc. 215/60R16 fitted to a 7J rim width is going to be a particularly sporty option and really does raise the question of whether you need 17" rims in preference to 16" rims. After all, 16" has a number of advantages over 17". 215/60R16 can be cheaper than 215/55R17. 16" rims can be considerably lighter than 17". For example, the 6J and 6.5J steel rims below weigh less than 8kg each. By comparison, each 6.5Jx17 ET38 steel rim weighs about 3kg to 4kg more. Multiple that by 4 (or 5 including a spare)...and that's a lot of extra weight.

Out of the below three rim widths, ie. 6J, 6.5J, 7J, the middle 6.5J could be a good compromise between the two extremes. The Superb MK3 also fits it's standard 215/60R16 tyre size to a 6.5J rim...albeit ET41 (but then it's a different car). The Yeti fitted its 215/60R16 to a surprisingly wide 7J rim.

Alcar 6665 6Jx16 ET43 5/112 57.1 steel rim

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/alcar/14750540

Alcar 9187 6.5Jx16 ET43 5/112 57.1 steel rim

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/alcar/14750834

Alcar 9257 7Jx16 ET45 5/112 57.1 steel rim

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/alcar/14750851

As you can see in the ETRTO (European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation) chart below, a 215/60R16 tyre can be fitted to a rim width between 6.0" and 7.5", with 6.5" in bold because that's the standard rim width for this tyre size.

Notice that the 215/55R17 can also be fitted to a rim width between 6.0" and 7.5", but the standard rim width for this tyre size is 7.0".

ETRTO approved rim width for passenger car tyres

215/60R16 6.0-6.5-7.5

215/55R17 6.0-7.0-7.5
215/50R18 6.0-7.0-7.5
225/40R19 7.5-8.0-9.0

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 2

Coming back to the original set of questions:

Yes you should notice an improvement in handling and stability with B6 shocks.

The only party who can advise if fitting is acceptable on a PCP car is the provider of said PCP. 

- What I think will happen: the company will ask why you are changing the parts if not worn out.  If you say it's not performing correctly they will suggest you get it investigated and replace with OE parts.

The imbalance of the car if fitting B6 shocks to just the front will feel bad.  If doing it you should do all 4.  A front drive car is more affected by changes at the rear for things like handling.

• Like 2

As this is the 'Performance & Tuning Upgrades' forum that's what initially lead me to assume (always dangerous) that B6 might be some sort 'sport' (whatever that might mean) damper - I thought now I'd do a quick check on Bilstein UK website, and this is what it has. -

"The BILSTEIN B6 shock absorber is the perfect solution if you require more dampening power and efficiency in your suspension setup, including under heavier loads; but don't require a full all-out sports model. BILSTEIN B6 shock absorbers are fully road-tested for road handling capability and endurance. The benefits of BILSTEIN B6 shock absorbers are:

• Increased power reserves and service life, even when pulling transporters and trailers or during frequent journeys with loads
  • Optimum adhesion and enhanced lane change stability in both day to day and extreme situations
  • Marked improvement in safety and sportiness without additional spring changes such as lowering your vehicle
  • BILSTEIN gas pressure technology
  • BILSTEIN mono-tube/Upside-Down technology, made in Germany
  • Road-tested by BILSTEIN and fine-tuned
  • No German TUV registration required"

https://www.bilsteinsuspensionstore.co.uk/info-b6-suspensions

@Vlady on that page the "Choose your Car" menu doesn't include Karoq, that could be for a few reasons (including their site not being up to date, errors and omissions) and whether the other models listed would fit and be suitable I've no idea, unless you've seen Bilstein B6 Karoq dampers available elsewhere (or even then) you might need to check with Bilstein.  If the B6 aren't available for your Karoq that's an end to that particular path.

Edited by nta16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nta16 said:

If the B6 aren't available for your Karoq that's an end to that particular path.

Superb MK3 owners also didn't have Bilstein B6 listed for their cars...but they used the Bilstein B6 listed for the Passat B8 instead.

If Bilstein B6 aren't listed for the Karoq, maybe look at similar VW cars.

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Carlston said:

Superb MK3 owners also didn't have Bilstein B6 listed for their cars...but they used the Bilstein B6 listed for the Passat B8 instead.

If Bilstein B6 aren't listed for the Karoq, maybe look at similar VW cars.

Yeap, I can imagine that, on the Bilstein UK page presently the B6 drop down selections have Superb 2015-22 (not 2023) that's why I suggested contacting Bilstein UK, I realise they may not know of other similar VW models or apply the B6 to those models, or they might already be listed to those models, I didn't look as I don't know what those models are.

I've been ordering some parts for customers, businesses and myself since the mid-1970s, car parts only for myself in more recent decades, using paper catalogue and previously microfiche, some wit the exact same manufactured part for the manufacture's different brands or same part for a different manufacturer(s) and all at different retail prices.  The catalogues and other databases all had errors and omissions and these errors and omissions amplified as databases were taken over and combined and things aren't perfect still just because it's more digital and computers, manufacturers websites are often with errors, omissions and out of date.

18 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

Coming back to the original set of questions:

Yes you should notice an improvement in handling and stability with B6 shocks.

The only party who can advise if fitting is acceptable on a PCP car is the provider of said PCP. 

- What I think will happen: the company will ask why you are changing the parts if not worn out.  If you say it's not performing correctly they will suggest you get it investigated and replace with OE parts.

The imbalance of the car if fitting B6 shocks to just the front will feel bad.  If doing it you should do all 4.  A front drive car is more affected by changes at the rear for things like handling.

You could be right saying all 4 should be changed, however, a lot of older cars (like 20 years old), if shock need to be changed then the pair usually will be swapped leaving other 2 older and not performing as new.

I agree, ideally, all 4 should be changed and I would if by swapping front ones I notice a massive difference in riding, then I would do rear ones.

PCP if it comes to it or insurer will ask the question why I don't use an OEM part, however, the reason swapping them is that I hit the pothole and one is leaking so two need to be replaced and why B6 (for example), well, this is what garage has right now in stock and I need my can asap. 

As @Carlston (thanks for your massive input) above said, it is quite hard to check every car and all the parts are OEM, unless of course if there was an accident, then a proper check will be done, and again, the car  I bought was used, who knows when these were changed. Basically a lot of reasons can be to justify it.

16 hours ago, nta16 said:

Yeap, I can imagine that, on the Bilstein UK page presently the B6 drop down selections have Superb 2015-22 (not 2023) that's why I suggested contacting Bilstein UK, I realise they may not know of other similar VW models or apply the B6 to those models, or they might already be listed to those models, I didn't look as I don't know what those models are.

I've been ordering some parts for customers, businesses and myself since the mid-1970s, car parts only for myself in more recent decades, using paper catalogue and previously microfiche, some wit the exact same manufactured part for the manufacture's different brands or same part for a different manufacturer(s) and all at different retail prices.  The catalogues and other databases all had errors and omissions and these errors and omissions amplified as databases were taken over and combined and things aren't perfect still just because it's more digital and computers, manufacturers websites are often with errors, omissions and out of date.

Thanks for checking that, I didn't get that far as to check suitability of B6 and Karoq, I only checked Autodoc for an estimate price of new shocks and B6 was on the list, so I assume there is availability there, will check if I decide to go this route.

I was thinking in terms of Karoq, does Skoda fit differently set up shocks to every model (small/large petrol, diesel, large/small alloys etc)?

Or is it just a standard part for all the Karoq models? 

I will pop in to local garage, I know the owner, and will run it by him just to get his thoughts on this matter.

I can't reply just now to everyone's input (work), but thank you all, the thread turned out to be much more interesting then I expected it to be, with so many other things to consider and to think about. I might get a smaller used wheels, refurb them and get new tyres, may be. :)

I hope someone who fitted B6 to any Skoda model can share their experience.

Also, I am not sure how to move this Topic to a Skoda Karoq section.

Have a good day people.

Vlad

• Thanks 1

I don't think I mentioned before, my Karoq is Edition version and comes on 18" wheels.

Smaller wheels will defo help but it is the way suspension works that annoys me sometimes (I don't even want to mention DSG), I think it was similar on my 2011 Passat, in most conditions it works fine, fine and then there is a thump through or the feeling like a wheel just drops into pothole, hard to explain. 

My wifes BMW M sport which has firmer suspension doesn't have that feeling over potholes and being M Sport with current road conditions (why we pay so much roadtax?) I would expect my Crossover (Karoq) perform better than a BMW! :)

I think you should be ok on the parts selection front.  Like discussed already it would be hard for an insurance company to define all the different shocks available.  PCP with lack of OEM parts is something you need to work out/take the risk on.

On the 2 vs 4 swap. The hypothetical situation you describe: yes you may have a leaky front shock which requires the pair to be changed. If then leaving the rears part worn I would suggest you would notice the imbalance.  Especially as you are clearly quite sensitive to suspension issues (not necessarily a bad thing).  Take it further and fit B6 shocks to the front and leave potentially weak shocks at the rear.... the imbalance would be too much I think.  The rears are cheaper to purchase and cheaper to install.  If going to the effort and expense of fitting good quality parts to the front I think you would regret not doing the rear.

Returning back to the subject of B6 shocks.  I had some on my octavia and it was great.  Currently about 25k miles on Koni Special Actives on my passat and seriously considering swapping out for B6 all round.  They just don't feel safe and consistent.  Unlike the B6's which felt supportive and predictable.  Rules and regs of PCP and insurance aside, you would not be dissapointed.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vlady said:

I only checked Autodoc for an estimate price of new shocks and B6 was on the list, so I assume there is availability there, will check if I decide to go this route.

Never fully trust parts lists from such companies, they list parts for the various specs of the model and no doubt will contain errors.

4 hours ago, Vlady said:

I was thinking in terms of Karoq, does Skoda fit differently set up shocks to every model (small/large petrol, diesel, large/small alloys etc)?

Or is it just a standard part for all the Karoq models? 

I don't know if the whole Karoq range have the same dampers and/or which other Skoda (or VW other brand) models may have those dampers.  If there's a 'sports' version or other variant in a model range it may have different dampers to the others perhaps.  The parts companies might note this type of thing.

4 hours ago, Vlady said:

I hope someone who fitted B6 to any Skoda model can share their experience.

Also, I am not sure how to move this Topic to a Skoda Karoq section.

Easiest way is to Just start a new thread on there.

On changing your front dampers to B6 if you can or do, if you notice difference then it could be the B6s to factory swap, the dampers being new, the dampers being new B6s, also depends on how bad or not your present front dampers are and same for the rear dampers wear.  Then there might be a difference between B6 and factory dampers on the road even if the rear dampers were also new.  I don't know how noticeable the difference would be having two or four B6s  fitted (against 2 or 4 new factory) unless you were pushing things, or heavily loaded as seems the B6s speciality.  The B6s may well give reliable service for longer than the factory dampers based on the experience with my wife's Fabia.

You perhaps also need a Karoq Edition owner that has fitted two B6s to the front and drives and loads the car in the same way as you but even then it can be subjective.

Depending on its age and model of your wife's BMW M Sport it could have a very complex suspension system (as you might discover if you need to do anything on it or the wheels or tyres) you should expect more from that suspension, if you haven't already you may find you pay for that complexity sometime in the future.

Passats from what the owners have told me are particularly comfortable riding cars, saloons are lower and with a reasonable length wheelbase, Passat and BMW M Sport are different kettles of fish to modern SUV (or whatever the Karoq is classed as or called).

See how you get on with the Karoq forum.

Edited by nta16
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, nta16 said:

@Vlady what did you decide to do, or done and the results?

HI @nta16, I have not done anything yet, I am still to talk to local garage mechanic but did not have time to pop in. 

I am also still deciding if I should go with it, I have watched a few videos saying that B6 gives much firmer ride, which is good for Golf GTI but I don't know how I will like it. I understand it can be firmer but more comfortable if you go faster.

Basically, I do not know yet what to do. 

As a small project I want to do it, especially it looks like I am keeping the car for another 2-2.5 years, as used prices for Karoq are very very low so I can't trade it in without much financial loss.

I am still looking at Superb 2.0 petrol though, don't know why but I like that car a lot! :)

I will definitely update you all if I decide to go with the change. 

• Thanks 1