Skoda Superb 2015-2019

Hello everyone!

I hope you had a great week.

After a bad experience with Mazda 6, 2.2 Diesel, I decided to buy a Skoda Petrol 1.4, 1.5, 2.0 as I'm driving most in the city or short trips.

Do you have any recommendations?

I don't know anything about these engine's...

Thank you for any help!

Raul

Hi Raul,

Have you looked at the 2l 150 bhp manual diesels ?

According to Autotrader, they return around 58 mpg around town vs 47 mpg for the 1.4l 148 bhp petrol.

My 2017 SE L Exec has returned about 60mpg combined over my first 540 miles - mix of urban and 2 x 80 mile motorway journeys.

Sorry I couldn't answer your question - diesels for the last 30 years

• Like 1

Thank you for your answers.

I'm planning to put down £1800 upfront. The budget will be based on the APR...I'm searching for a car approximately £10000, plus or minus. I require DSG as well and will drive between 8000-10000 miles per year, the majority of which will be in the city, with a 12-mile commute to work a few days per week. 

Thanks

Raul

Hi Raulsas, 

I drive a 2.0TSI  190   - the engine is brilliant, very  smooth and quiet and quick. On the downside is economy if you are driving in the city. Some days I am lucky to see 23mpg on short urban runs😱 

My advice would be if your journey is mainly A roads /motorways the 2.0TSI is a great choice ( 40+ mpg)  however if your journey is going to be mostly city/urban look at the 1.4 / 1.5  option , petrol is the way to go

Cheers

4 hours ago, numskull said:

Your choice is dependent on many factors, including upfront cost, fuel and insurance costs.  What’s your budget? Manual or DSG? And annual mileage? 

18 minutes ago, Stonechip said:

Hi Raulsas, 

I drive a 2.0TSI  190   - the engine is brilliant, very  smooth and quiet and quick. On the downside is economy if you are driving in the city. Some days I am lucky to see 23mpg on short urban runs😱 

My advice would be if your journey is mainly A roads /motorways the 2.0TSI is a great choice ( 40+ mpg)  however if your journey is going to be mostly city/urban look at the 1.4 / 1.5  option , petrol is the way to go

Cheers

Very helpful. Thank you

I will go with 1.4/1.5 petrol.

The 1.4 is a particularly nice engine to drive.  The 1.5 in comparison is very smooth and predictable if a little dull.

One thing to bear in mind is that both those will come with the dry clutch 7 speed dsg (DQ200) which can be reliable but has been know to have issues.  The bigger engines have wet clutch variants 6 and 7 speed (DQ250 and DQ380/381).  dont let that put you off.  If looked after and had any recalls carried out they are all good.

10 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

The 1.4 is a particularly nice engine to drive.  The 1.5 in comparison is very smooth and predictable if a little dull.

One thing to bear in mind is that both those will come with the dry clutch 7 speed dsg (DQ200) which can be reliable but has been know to have issues.  The bigger engines have wet clutch variants 6 and 7 speed (DQ250 and DQ380/381).  dont let that put you off.  If looked after and had any recalls carried out they are all good.

Hello  Mark,

Thank you for your replay. This is very good to know. I will ask about the clutch...

Cheers

Raul

I recently bought a L&K Superb MK3 with the 2.0 TDI engine, and manual gearbox. Admittedly the car would be a better drive if it was an automatic but I just did a drive to York and back (approx 120 miles each way) this weekend and averaged 58MPG... and whilst I did drive mostly for economy, I absolutely didn't drive it robotically so and I've no doubt 60mpg would have been achievable if I was even more steady.

It's a really impressive engine honestly.. extremely smooth and refined. The only pain for me I find is if you're just slightly too early changing up (as the instrument cluster likes to nag you to do) it suddenly feels very unrefined (vibrations, flat feeling) trying to pull the car outside of the power band but as soon as the revs pass 1500RPM it's super smooth.

I used to get 60 on a run in the MKII and I once got 71 on the MKI and averaged 58 over 98k miles. 

Raulsas, I definitely think the 1.4/1.5 is the engine you should aim to get. 

Edited by numskull