Handbrake auto activation?

Bobov

The handbrake has started coming on automatically when you switch off, it did not use to. I do not like leaving haaandbrake on if I can help it

Edited by ColinD
Title & location

9 minutes ago, Bobov said:

The handbrake has started coming on automatically when you switch off, it did not use to. I do not like leaving haaandbrake on if I can help it

Odd! This is quite normal. You may have to go through the menus to see if there is an option to stop it applying.

• ColinD changed the title to Handbrake auto activation?

You can disable it by pressing the button marked  (A)  to the left of the parking brake (while the ignition is on). This is the autohold function. When illuminated Autohold and auto parking brake is enabled otherwise both are disabled.

You can also just turn the ignition back on and release the parking brake and it will remain off when you turn the ignition back off. This won't affect the autohold/auto parking brake setting.

Edited by xman

2 hours ago, xman said:

You can disable it by pressing the button marked  (A)  to the left of the parking brake (while the ignition is on). This is the autohold function. When illuminated Autohold and auto parking brake is enabled otherwise both are disabled.

You can also just turn the ignition back on and release the parking brake and it will remain off when you turn the ignition back off. This won't affect the autohold/auto parking brake setting.

On our Karoq the button marked A is on the right side of the parking brake. Pressing it turns on the autobrake function but has no effect on the parking brake.

As far as I know there is no way to disable automatic parking brake application when shutting the engine off. You might be able to deactivate it with ignition, but when you open the door, the handbrake gets applied again.

This is not the same as the auto hold. Auto hold is basically keeps the brake pedal pressed, until you accelerate slightly, it uses the normal brake parts, like what you use when you manually brake in the car. Parking brake is using an extra mechanism, you can hear it when it gets applied, like a motor slowly turning.

If you have auto hold enabled and you turn the ignition off or open the drivers door while the engine is running with auto hold, the car applies the handbrake automatically. There is no permanent way to disable this unless you want to dig into some coding with VCDS.

As others have said, my understanding is that the Parking Brake is automatically applied when you switch off the engine/ignition.  ie It's actually meant to do what you have said happens in your car.

Auto Hold is completely different and you can disable that using the button in the central console when you start the engine.  Whether you can permanently disable it in Settings you'd have to check but why you would want to I don't know as I think it is a very useful safety and convenience feature. 

This may be the case with the Karoq, but on my Superb it is how I described.

I looked up Autohold on the 2022 Karoq manual and found this, which suggests that parking brake can be disabled

Screenshot_20240206-154632.png

34 minutes ago, xman said:

This may be the case with the Karoq, but on my Superb it is how I described.

I looked up Autohold on the 2022 Karoq manual and found this, which suggests that parking brake can be disabled

Screenshot_20240206-154632.png

As has been said a few times, Auto Hold is NOT the Parking Brake. 

It might be the same components doing the holding/braking but the functions are different.

Edited by Viffer800
Elaboration
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Viffer800 said:

As has been said a few times, Auto Hold is NOT the Parking Brake

🤨 Yes I know and never said otherwise but the operation of the parking brake, specifically disabling it, is controlled by the autohold setting in MY CAR. But then my car is Superb 😜

What no one has addressed is that the OP said his car (Karoq?) previously never applied his parking brake automatically.

So people saying its always automatic isn't being very helpful.

2 minutes ago, xman said:

🤨 Yes I know and never said otherwise but the operation of the parking brake, specifically disabling it, is controlled by the autohold setting in MY CAR. But then my car is Superb 😜

What no one has addressed is that the OP said his car (Karoq?) previously never applied his parking brake automatically.

So people saying its always automatic isn't being very helpful.

Maybe HIS was always meant to but just suddenly started doing what it should rather than what it, in his opinion/understanding it shouldn't. 

It's all very well someone saying "My car has started doing X" but if several people say "It is meant to do X" where does that leave things?  

I'd say that helping the OP get a handle on what issue his car is experiencing might actually be quite "helpful".  

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

@Bobov

I've been doing some experiments at the end of my journeys this week. I've never had the handbrake automatically engage when turning off ignition but then I've never had the auto hold turned on.

I turned the auto hold on and noticed the following:-

1 The green (P) appears in the instrument binnacle once at standstill to show that the auto hold has been triggered

2 The green (P) changes to a red (P) when the ignition is turned off to show that the auto hold has been promoted to full handbrake and the light on the handbrake switch illuminates

Once the auto hold is turned off there are no longer any (P) symbols displayed and no handbrake auto activation.

I would imagine that somehow the auto hold button has been pressed (it only illuminates (orange) with the engine started).

Do some experiments yourself by starting and shutting off the engine with and without the auto hold activated and see what suits you best.

Neil.

• Thanks 1

So what you're saying is basically the Auto Hold button controls the automatic handbrake application upon engine shut ott too? That is an interesting finding.

I have my car for a year now, I turned Auto Hold on on the way home from the dealer and never turned it back off. It is such a convenient feature, that I don't have to worry about the handbrake anymore together with the Auto Hold. I can see how it can become a problem if you don't use the car every couple days, the handbrake mechanism can get stuck or stiff, especially in a climate like the UK has.

Had my Karoq a few weeks now having come from an Octavia with a manual handbrake (you knew where you stood with that).  The above explanation of how the automatic handbrake and autohold work and differ from each other has cleared up some confusion in my mind.  So thank you for that.

Every day is a scchoolday! Ever since I bought our Karoq I have had the autobrake activated, and every time I switched off the engine the parking brake applied. I haven't used the car for a few days, but I drove it today, and I tried experimenting with turning off the autobrake, and on turning off the engine the parking brake failed to apply.

I have a friend who has a relatively new Audi A4. e went for a brief trip, and I was surpried that when he switched on he switched off autobrake and manually switched off the parking brake. On getting back he wsithed on the autobrake then applied the parking brake before switching the engine off. I was very confused why he did this, but I didn't think I aught to ask why.   

• Like 1